Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
Ok, I'll just forget about everything I know as an electrician, then. Enjoy damaging your charging cable as much as you want, after comparing a heavy gauge #6 AWG (like for your stove) set of conductors to a #20 AWG pair of stereo wires. Do how you want.
Wire gauge is no more than diameter of the wire. There are several different cable designs for their use. Even different in the same spec. Like THHN can be solid or stranded. Flexible cables use a finer gauge wire and more conductors in the sheath. Take a common extension lead. It can be SJ, SJO, SO, MTW and on and on. The SO is more of an industrial cable and will be more robust and oil resistant due to the neoprene outer sheath. SJ is relatively smaller and lighter vinal sheath. The cables have to be spec'd for their designed usage. Like MSC is made to be run over and survive in a mine. Tough stuff, but very expensive. Has thermoplastic wire bedding cut resistant under the outer sheath and 3 GFI tracers. But because of that, it has a reduced bend radius.

The type of wire and the number of conductors in the cable also determine the current carrying capacity
Sponsored

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GT500 2021 MACH-E GT/PE
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
I haven't used the provided Ford charger yet, but I only get about 19 miles added per hour using the Grizzl-E avalanche. I thought it would add more, I've checked the dip switch is set right and it's on a 50amp breaker.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I haven't used the provided Ford charger yet, but I only get about 19 miles added per hour using the Grizzl-E avalanche. I thought it would add more, I've checked the dip switch is set right and it's on a 50amp breaker.
Remember that the car and battery condition controls the charging. Not the EVSE. You have 40 amps available, but that doesn't mean the car will use it all the time.

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
Remember that the car and battery condition controls the charging. Not the EVSE. You have 40 amps available, but that doesn't mean the car will use it all the time.
Help me get my head around this please mate! I wait until the battery is at about 40-50% - then I charge back to 80%. I've never been able to get more than 19ish miles added per hour of charge time, so should I let the battery get down below 40% then charge?

I've tried letting the car cool down for a few hours and then charging but it's the same story, all advice is appreciated - thanks.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I bought an extra Ford protable charger so I could leave one in the trunk, no problems since last October .. I have it mounted and plugged into a 50a outlet, might only charge at 7kw, but that is fine for overnight charging and have never needed or wanted a faster charger.
We have 50 amp brealer butvewhenbthe farage temps hits 85 deg we get the ambedd default. The charger is hot. We assume the heat is faulting the charger since they dealer has a.c. and could not replicate amber default in 8 hrs.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Help me get my head around this please mate! I wait until the battery is at about 40-50% - then I charge back to 80%. I've never been able to get more than 19ish miles added per hour of charge time, so should I let the battery get down below 40% then charge?

I've tried letting the car cool down for a few hours and then charging but it's the same story, all advice is appreciated - thanks.
Thats about right. You get about 10% per hour. It's a 9.8kw unit at 40 amps. It doesn't matter how low you go as long as you keep it above 20% And you can go above 80, but do not leave it set fully charged for long periods of time as it will cause cell damage. In cold weather we have to keep the car plugged in when not driving.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

Just to be clear, you have the Grizzl-E set to 40A? Not 32A? If you are only getting ~19 miles of range per hour, that sounds a lot like it is set to 32A.

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
Just to be clear, you have the Grizzl-E set to 40A? Not 32A? If you are only getting ~19 miles of range per hour, that sounds a lot like it is set to 32A.
Yes, set to 40A. That's the default from factory, but I opened it up and checked it to make sure because I thought it could be set to 32A too.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Yes, set to 40A. That's the default from factory, but I opened it up and checked it to make sure because I thought it could be set to 32A too.
The number of miles added is based on the GOM, which could be low due to your historical driving style. Don't refer to the miles added to determine your charging speed.

How long does it take for you to add 10%? It should be about an hour, as mentioned in a previous post. If you are getting 10% an hour, you are getting 40 Amps.

Last edited:

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
Thats about right. You get about 10% per hour. It's a 9.8kw unit at 40 amps. It doesn't matter how low you go as long as you keep it above 20% And you can go above 80, but do not leave it set fully charged for long periods of time as it will cause cell damage. In cold weather we have to keep the car plugged in when not driving.
Regarding 'long periods of time' if I have a trip planned where my car will be sitting for 4-5 days, should I not charge higher than 80% in that case? I've never left it sitting that many days and don't really know if I'll lose much charge while it sits. After the trip I'd like to just be able to go and not have to charge somewhere on the way back.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Regarding 'long periods of time' if I have a trip planned where my car will be sitting for 4-5 days, should I not charge higher than 80% in that case? I've never left it sitting that many days and don't really know if I'll lose much charge while it sits. After the trip I'd like to just be able to go and not have to charge somewhere on the way back.
Teslas (and now Rivians) have vampire charge losses as the car sits unused. I think they lose 2-4 kW a day. The MME does not. Mine sat for 24 hours and didn't lose any measurable charge on the HVB. So don't worry about HVB charge loss.

As far as the charge level goes, 80% is fine for 5 days. Ford recommends 50% or 60% (I think it is in the user manual somewhere) if your car will sit for a very long time, like a month. But your car is only sitting for a week, so there is no concern at all.

Also, avoiding a charge on the way home is a much better approach compared with leaving the car will less charge and needing a DCFC to get home. DCFC is more stressful on the battery than letting it sit at even 100% if you wanted. If I had to choose between sitting at 100% for a week or getting a DCFC, I would choose 100% every time. Plus it is more convenient.

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
The number of miles added is based on the GOM, which could be low due to your historical driving style. Don't refer to the miles added to determine your charging speed.

How long does it take for you to add 10%? It should be about an hour, as mentioned in a previous post. If you are getting 10% an hour, you are getting 40 Amps.
My last charge was from 39% to 80%, took 4hrs 21m - distance added 87 miles. Looks like I'm right there at the 10% per hour then, at 80% charge it always shows est distance to empty at around 155-160 miles.

So the trims that get more total range would get more miles added (depending on driving style), I think I've got a good grip on it now - charger is working as it should then. I've only got 1200 miles on the car in almost 6 months, we don't drive much. I've never reset the trip computer so I should probably do that too.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My last charge was from 39% to 80%, took 4hrs 21m - distance added 87 miles. Looks like I'm right there at the 10% per hour then, at 80% charge it always shows est distance to empty at around 155-160 miles.

So the trims that get more total range would get more miles added (depending on driving style), I think I've got a good grip on it now - charger is working as it should then. I've only got 1200 miles on the car in almost 6 months, we don't drive much. I've never reset the trip computer so I should probably do that too.
Yep, it sounds like you are getting 40 Amps as expected:
240V x 40A = 9,600 W.
9,600 W x 90% (to account for charging inefficiency) = 8,640 W charging speed.
41% x 88 kWh = 36 kWh added for the 39% to 80% charge.
36 / 8.64 = 4 hours and 10 minutes. Pretty much actually what you saw.

All the trims charge at the same rate, but some are more efficient than others. The GTPE is the least efficient of all the trims, while the RWD SR is the most efficient. So of course it will go farther on 36 kWh than your car will.

Last edited:

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
Yep, it sounds like you are getting 40 Amps as expected:
240V x 40A = 9,600 kW.
9,600 kW x 90% (to account for charging inefficiency) = 8,640 kW charging speed.
41% x 88 kWh = 36 kWh added for the 39% to 80% charge.
36 / 8.64 = 4 hours and 10 minutes. Pretty much actually what you saw.

All the trims charge at the same rate, but some are more efficient than others. The GTPE is the least efficient of all the trims, while the RWD SR is the most efficient. So of course it will go farther on 36 kWh than your car will.
Excellent info, thanks!
Sponsored