Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
For the past two weeks my Ford Mobile charger has been showing the reduced charging error code of the amber and blue light. I've reset the thing and made sure the connector is plugged tightly into the box. It can't be my Mach-E because the same thing was happening to the EV loaner car I got during the roof recall.

I know this code comes up when the charger is overheating, but does it also do this when it's cold outside? I didn't see anything in the manual that spoke to that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Thanks, I'll look into it. I also noticed today that the car is completely silent while the battery is charging, before you would always hear the pump running. I just recently had the CSP update done at the dealership...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nav

Smolinski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach 3
Country flag
Any news on your investigation. My charging rate is slow, about 12-13 miles/hour on a 240 Nema plug. I also now, I do not hear the hum I used. The amber led comes, goes off for a period of time, then comes back on. The mobile charger is warm, but not hot. I can leave my hand on it and no problem.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
These chargers don't seem to be holding up too well.

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Any news on your investigation. My charging rate is slow, about 12-13 miles/hour on a 240 Nema plug. I also now, I do not hear the hum I used. The amber led comes, goes off for a period of time, then comes back on. The mobile charger is warm, but not hot. I can leave my hand on it and no problem.
No new information. Everything continues to be the same. I have an appointment with the dealership on Tuesday, so I'll post the results when I get the car back. If they can't help me, I'm just going to pony up the money for a new high quality charger.

Smolinski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach 3
Country flag
Are you still using the charger till then at 240 volts or did you drop it the 120-volt plug? Of course, that means only 3 miles per hour. The charger does not feel hot, just warm. I guess if it gets really hot and defective, it will not cycle to normal and back to defective again.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
There is another thread open on these chargers and they seem to be going one by one sequentially with age. It doesn’t look like Ford went with a quality product out the door and the initial ones are junk. Here in Arizona I know the three other owners and they’re all having the amber issue and reduced charging times. It’s simply cheap bad electronics. Likely Chinese
Pandemic quality

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I'd be curious to know how many folks that have ended up having 12v battery problems and/or dead BECM were on the mobile charger.

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
There is another thread open on these chargers and they seem to be going one by one sequentially with age. It doesn’t look like Ford went with a quality product out the door and the initial ones are junk. Here in Arizona I know the three other owners and they’re all having the amber issue and reduced charging times. It’s simply cheap bad electronics. Likely Chinese
Pandemic quality
Good, I'm glad it's not just me. I have one of the first builds, so that makes sense. I already took the 240 volt outlet apart and can confirm that it's installed correctly and that everything is in place.

djjerv91

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER Infinite Blue
Country flag
This is my exact situation. Amber light comes and goes and I also am experiencing slower charging from the mobile charger. Plugged in at 42% last night and charging starts at 11 and goes until 7. Only reached 82%. In the past prior to the software update, this would have reached 90% no problem.

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
An update on my situation... I took it in to Elk Grove Ford and was told they had no way of testing it at 240v because they don't have that kind of outlet. They tested it on a 120v plug, said it worked fine, and blamed it on my outlet at home that was installed by an electrician. So now I'm trying to decide if I need to deal with the hassle of taking it to another dealership or just buy a new quality charger from a different company.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
An update on my situation... I took it in to Elk Grove Ford and was told they had no way of testing it at 240v because they don't have that kind of outlet. They tested it on a 120v plug, said it worked fine, and blamed it on my outlet at home that was installed by an electrician. So now I'm trying to decide if I need to deal with the hassle of taking it to another dealership or just buy a new quality charger from a different company.
There are RV parks everywhere. Find one that has 14-50 outlets, and ask if you can use one for 5 minutes.

Find a neighbor with a welder.

Find a neighbor with any EV that uses a 14-50 outlet to charge.
Sponsored