21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Keep posting and add photos for this valjable addition.
So my Ford of Europe OEM-supplied tow bar kit (actually made by a German Dutch company named Brink) is on its way and should arrive in Virginia by Friday, Inshallah.

I'll break down the current pricing here, for common knowledge, without VAT. I used today's currency conversion rates to arrive at these USD prices. BTW - all three components are necessary and need each other to safely work together:

- tow bar frame, tow neck and associated ironware = $419.

- tow bar wiring harness which plugs-and-plays with the MME electronics, the tow bar control module, the power supply and the trailer plug = $62.

- tow bar electronic module which interacts with the MME electronics: $99.

- DHL air freight (Tuesday send, Friday arrival (we shall see...) = $320. Sea shipment was possible and could have been cheaper, but I just chose air freight.

NOTE: because Europe is Europe, every country additionally prices in a Value Added Tax (VAT). I subtracted the VAT as its level will depend on the country of purchase. In my case, it was an additional 23% to the prices listed here (brrr... oh well). There might be ways around the VAT, for example purchases by U.S. active duty military stationed in Europe, but... taxes mean civilization, right? ;-)

Once all the stuff arrives and life gives me the space to play, I'll send further info and pix on the installation. I intend to self-install.

Relevant resource info, such as links to installation videos and to the manufacturer's web page, as well as English instruction PDFs, are already attached in the thread above.

TBC...
Sponsored

Last edited:

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
Hey Martin, sounds like you will have an EU hitch shortly.
Freight cost are certainly quit expensive, but when you see the size and weight of the bar then you will see that for the 6 foot long bar the air freigt price is quite fair.

looking for picture during installation. :)

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey Martin, sounds like you will have an EU hitch shortly.
Freight cost are certainly quit expensive, but when you see the size and weight of the bar then you will see that for the 6 foot long bar the air freigt price is quite fair.

looking for picture during installation. :)
...thanks in a significant way to you and your information.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Wow, it would seem the whole kit's going to cost a bundle.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
well, depends, at least you can tow the trailer with your boat to a lake or ocean.
take your motorcycle with you on vacation,etc.
...pretty much. Puts the UTILITY into the SUV haha.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So my Europe Ford-sponsored tow hitch arrived today.

Sometime in the next week or so, I'll self-install and share results, unless life gets in the way.

For now, here's a video link demonstrating this tow hitch by its manufacturer, Brink of Germany the Netherlands, in English. The video shows how Brink's detachable tow hitch works, how to mount it and how to dismount it. This is the model Ford of Europe approved for the Mach E, although the car in the video is another make and model. Enjoy!

Last edited:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...I thought about importing the euro hitch, but one big issue it has are no safety chain loops. They don't use safety chains in Europe wile towing.
Now that my Euro Ford MME tow hitch kit has arrived, I discovered through parts and instructions examination that Euro tow hitches do use a safety mechanism, although it's a bit different than our US safety chains.

The tow hitch kit came with a short, strong looped cargo strap with a buckle. Reading the instructions carefully, it seems the strap is to be looped around the gooseneck swan neck under the tow ball, and then buckled to ...get ready... the European mandatory rear tow eyelet hand-bolted into the rear bumper. Yes, the tow eyelet a lot of us here mentioned on other threads as "missing on the US MME" including my MME.

So I went to the nearby sailing shop and bought some lengths of coated 1/4 inch sailing wire, and several clevises. I'll manufacture my own safety loops with this coated wire around the center of the towbar near the gooseneck swan neck mount on my Euro tow bar once it's set up on the car, and hook our safety chains into them while towing. If those sailing wire lines can haul a sail under pressure up a mast, they'll withstand an emergency jerk of a trailer on the road, especially two of them looped independently.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Now that my Euro Ford MME tow hitch kit has arrived, I discovered through parts and instructions examination that Euro tow hitches do use a safety mechanism, although it's a bit different than our US safety chains.

The tow hitch kit came with a short, strong looped cargo strap with a buckle. Reading the instructions carefully, it seems the strap is to be looped around the gooseneck under the tow ball, and then buckled to ...get ready... the European mandatory rear tow eyelet hand-bolted into the rear bumper. Yes, the tow eyelet a lot of us here mentioned on other threads as "missing on the US MME" including my MME.

So I went to the nerby sailing shop and bought some lengths of coated 1/4 inch sailing wire, and several clevises. I'll manufacture my own safety loops with this coated wire around the center of the towbar near the gooseneck mount on my Euro tow bar once it's set up on the car, and hook our safety chains into them while towing. If those sailing wire lines can haul a sail under pressure up a mast, they'll withstand an emergency jerk of a trailer on the raod, especially two of them looped independently.
I wanna see a picture when you're done. ;)

3/16" rigging wire is probably sufficient strength and may be easier to work with. Breaking strength needs to be greater than trailer weight (2200 lbs) minimum. How you do your crimps or swages is important, you probably need at least 3 per end loop.

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
Hi Martin, as I said some support from my colleagues and here you have some wireing informatins regarding your rear fog light. I know you didn't mention it in your above threat but I hope my feedback can remain here or if the admin can move it to the fog light issue.

Modules.jpg

rear foglight module.jpg

BCM.jpg

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Martin, as I said some support from my colleagues and here you have some wireing informatins regarding your rear fog light. I know you didn't mention it in your above threat but I hope my feedback can remain here or if the admin can move it to the fog light issue.

Modules.jpg

rear foglight module.jpg

BCM.jpg
Actually, this is very helpful information. It will save me a lot of time tracing circuits.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wanna see a picture when you're done. ;)

3/16" rigging wire is probably sufficient strength and may be easier to work with. Breaking strength needs to be greater than trailer weight (2200 lbs) minimum. How you do your crimps or swages is important, you probably need at least 3 per end loop.
I just love seeing all my spelling mistakes after two-finger trace-typing on a tablet haha.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
You might consider using a dyneema synthetic line for the loops as dyneema is many times stronger than ss rigging.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads