Ford Mustang Mach-E Gets Towing Capacity Boost In Europe

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
Doesn‘t the European tow hitch use a gooseneck with a permanent ball instead of drawbar? Will US bike rack accessories work with that? Is the ball the same 2” size as typical US trailers or is it metric?
Euro bike racks attach to the tow ball. Watch the install video for the thule euro bike rack here. European racks also cannot block the taillights or license plate, so the racks must have both
https://www.norauto.fr/p/porte-velo...ml?CatalogID=47935&CatalogCategoryName=48037#
Sponsored

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
hi guys, I am from Ford Cologne (just retired) and will get my MME within the next 3 months.
If I could be of any assist let me know.
The MY23 AWD version is allowed to pull 1500 kg in Europe, where as the MY22 version just 1000 kg. As there has been no body change between the 2 versions I expect that the MY22 version will receive an increage of 500 kg. RWD versions are at 750 kg.
Regarding speed, in Germany you are allowed to travel at 80 km/h (50 mph). With certain trailer adjustments we are allowed to travel at 100 km/h (62 mph).

Below you find official Ford dealer price list for complte towbar including "goose neck".

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach-E Gets Towing Capacity Boost In Europe 1664110344048

How much are you allowed to tow with your hooks?

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hi guys, I am from Ford Cologne (just retired) and will get my MME within the next 3 months.
If I could be of any assist let me know.
The MY23 AWD version is allowed to pull 1500 kg in Europe, where as the MY22 version just 1000 kg. As there has been no body change between the 2 versions I expect that the MY22 version will receive an increage of 500 kg. RWD versions are at 750 kg.
Regarding speed, in Germany you are allowed to travel at 80 km/h (50 mph). With certain trailer adjustments we are allowed to travel at 100 km/h (62 mph).

Below you find official Ford dealer price list for complte towbar including "goose neck".I have a Ford Europe tow hitch coming and am curious about two things... perhaps you can help.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach-E Gets Towing Capacity Boost In Europe 1664110344048

How much are you allowed to tow with your hooks?
Hello Su+ChMache!

I have a Ford Europe tow hitch coming and am curious about two things... perhaps you can advise.

1. In the US, installation of aftermarket tow hitches means that the underside of the plastic rear bumper cover gets cut. I wonder whether the Europe tow hitch will come with a template to guide the recommended size of such a cut in the plastic bumper. Alternately, if you could advise where to find a picture of the installed Euro Ford tow hitch on the Mach E, from the pavement looking up at the bottom of the plastic bumper, that would also work very well.

2. Can you advise about, or provide a close-up picture or diagram of the face of the Europe Ford electric connector for this tow hitch? A 2020 Audi E-tron I am familiar with has a round electric towing connector with seven blades, arranged in a circle. I wonder whether the Europe Ford connector is the same, or more complex, as I understand the European tow connector designs might be changing soon.

I appreciate any help in advance!

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
hi Martin,
to 1 the EU hitch comes from manufacturer BRINK and has part number LJ8J 19D521 AA on my current vehicle the Puma and on previous one Kuga/Escape the were no cuts required on the bumper.
to 2 unfortunately I currently have no option to get a picture of those connectors (I will get mine with towbar early Dec. and the dealer I get it from is miles away)

in general the European installation guide is very detailed
here the link to Brink MME tow bar
seems for this hook no cuts are required youtu.be

in Europe we have 2 versions on the electric connectors 7 or 13 pins. Don't know which one you need
however the is an electrical page available from Brink, in case you should have any questions you may contact them dirctly or let me know and I will try to get required information for you.

Accessories / spare parts from BRINK

Installation Brink tow bar

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hi Martin,
to 1 the EU hitch comes from manufacturer BRINK and has part number LJ8J 19D521 AA on my current vehicle the Puma and on previous one Kuga/Escape the were no cuts required on the bumper.
to 2 unfortunately I currently have no option to get a picture of those connectors (I will get mine with towbar early Dec. and the dealer I get it from is miles away)

in general the European installation guide is very detailed
here the link to Brink MME tow bar
seems for this hook no cuts are required youtu.be

in Europe we have 2 versions on the electric connectors 7 or 13 pins. Don't know which one you need
however the is an electrical page available from Brink, in case you should have any questions you may contact them dirctly or let me know and I will try to get required information for you.

Accessories / spare parts from BRINK

Installation Brink tow bar
This is very valuable information. I greatly appreciate your insight and experience!

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For those who wish to compare the Euro Ford (Brink) OEM towbar installation with Scoopman's and others' installations of the Draw-Tite and other U.S. tow hitches, attached are the Euro Ford installation instructions. Many thanks to Su-Ch+Mache's assist. Note: one of the links in the Su-Ch+Mache's post also provides separate wiring module installation instructions.

Attachments

Last edited:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last edited:

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
would be glad to meet you
just noticed your location, Arlington VA, I used to live in McLean, actually we are neighbours.
that was until 1980, but I went to Bishop O'Connel High in Arlington

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
would be glad to meet you
just noticed your location, Arlington VA, I used to live in McLean, actually we are neighbours.
that was until 1980, but I went to Bishop O'Connel High in Arlington
It's all right in the neighborhood.

McS

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My Mach-E (in Sweden, so Europe) has a Ford detachable tow hitch, but it´s not a standard US style "hitch mount) but rather a bespoke shape. Our tow balls are 50 mm diameter (there are 60 mm ones too for heavier trailers).

A note; My 2021 has not gotten any OTA update for tow weight and the legal tow weight is also stated in the registration papers, that has not changed. I have never before seen manufacturers changing these kind of things on already registered vehicles in Europe but I would be happy to find it happening now. 1500 kg would open up a lot of possibilities (but 1600 would have been the sweet spot).
I am happy to hear that MY23 get increased towing weight.
Don't you think an action from us with MY22 is needed from Transportstyrelsen to register the car for a larger towing weight?

therealpinto

First Name
Gustaf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E LR AWD, Ford Capris, Cortina, Kuga, Sierra
Country flag
I am happy to hear that MY23 get increased towing weight.
Don't you think an action from us with MY22 is needed from Transportstyrelsen to register the car for a larger towing weight?
I actually think that Ford "Sweden" (=Hedin bil?) would need to supply Transportstyrelsen with data to change the allowed towing weight. So I think MY2021-2022 owners/users probably should target them. I am all for doing that, in form of a group letter or something.

McS

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I actually think that Ford "Sweden" (=Hedin bil?) would need to supply Transportstyrelsen with data to change the allowed towing weight. So I think MY2021-2022 owners/users probably should target them. I am all for doing that, in form of a group letter or something.
Absolutely! It is just nuts if this needs to be done by each individual. Have you done anything similar @therealpinto ?

therealpinto

First Name
Gustaf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E LR AWD, Ford Capris, Cortina, Kuga, Sierra
Country flag
I have not reached out to them, but I partially work with approval of vehicles so I have some understanding of what it takes to get data changed in Sweden...
Sponsored