silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Don't forget that the GT has a bigger motor on the front axle and thus more torque and more power, also bigger tires and a heavier car so that makes the range difference
Yeah, you make a good point. There's just a lot of things conspiring against the GT's range. Hopefully Ford can figure out a way to reduce the power draw from one or both big motors to increase the endurance of the GT. Being permanent magnet motors, they require current to keep spinning which is a drawback to their use compared to induction motors.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, you make a good point. There's just a lot of things conspiring against the GT's range. Hopefully Ford can figure out a way to reduce the power draw from one or both big motors to increase the endurance of the GT. Being permanent magnet motors, they require current to keep spinning which is a drawback to their use compared to induction motors.
It's just like opting for the bigger engine in an ICE vehicle for better performance. Performance and efficiency are inversely proportionate. One comes at the expense of the other.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, but just to be clear, all MMEs will have the three modes -- not just the GT. I'm not sure which mode is used for these estimates, but I would assume the whisper because it would be the one to return the better numbers for Ford. In any event, I really have to assume that it was the same mode for the GT as for the others, so the relative figures between the models are probably pretty accurate as to what percentage you sacrifice by going with the GT.
There's no "GT mode" that can be turned off to give you non-GT range.
Maybe Ford should introduce a plaid mode for the GT? After all, Tesla only went for ludicrous.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's just like opting for the bigger engine in an ICE vehicle for better performance. Performance and efficiency are inversely proportionate. One comes at the expense of the other.
There's definitely some truth to this, but don't forget Tesla has simultaneously increased power and range in their vehicles without increasing the size of the battery pack. It is my hope that Ford can capture some of that magic and use it to their advantage across the MME range.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There's definitely some truth to this, but don't forget Tesla has simultaneously increased power and range in their vehicles without increasing the size of the battery pack. It is my hope that Ford can capture some of that magic and use it to their advantage across the MME range.
Oh sure, they can sometimes fine-tune and improve them (we see that with improvements in ICE engines over time too). I just meant when comparing one MME trim to the other. If Ford (like Tesla) is able to fine-tune what they can get out of the batteries and/or motors, it's probably gonna improve all trims, not just the GT.
Sponsored