Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I don't think so, the Mach E is already very close to the Escape.
Agree. The Escape PHEV might have even completed for Mach E sales if it didnt get sidelined.

My hope is the Mach E and BEV F-150 would hold top spots for most expensive EVs for Ford. Everything else they develop would be in lower price points. The Lincoln brand can develop some new models that appeal to market price points higher than the MME and BEV F150.

That seems like a reasonable strategy provided in either case, they are all ground up models. There is so much to gain by starting with a BEV platform vs converting a successful ICE platform to BEV. F-150 being the exception of course....
Sponsored

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agree. The Escape PHEV might have even completed for Mach E sales if it didnt get sidelined.

My hope is the Mach E and BEV F-150 would hold top spots for most expensive EVs for Ford. Everything else they develop would be in lower price points. The Lincoln brand can develop some new models that appeal to market price points higher than the MME and BEV F150.

That seems like a reasonable strategy provided in either case, they are all ground up models. There is so much to gain by starting with a BEV platform vs converting a successful ICE platform to BEV. F-150 being the exception of course....
That's highly dependent on size though. Bigger vehicles require more batteries, and that's the most expensive part of a BEV. The Mach-E is already closer to the smaller end of Ford's lineup, roughly on par with the Escape. About the only thing smaller for Ford is an EcoSport.

Although as you suggested, a ground-up model can be any size they want it to be. So maybe there's something small in the works. It would likely need to be small to be cheaper.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That's highly dependent on size though. Bigger vehicles require more batteries, and that's the most expensive part of a BEV. The Mach-E is already closer to the smaller end of Ford's lineup, roughly on par with the Escape. About the only thing smaller for Ford is an EcoSport.

Although as you suggested, a ground-up model can be any size they want it to be. So maybe there's something small in the works. It would likely need to be small to be cheaper.
Correct. I hope some of our American habits mature a bit. Many of us dont need a crew cab lifted 4x4 pickup to get to work and back.

(Said the guy what still owns 2 Super Duty PowerStroke crew cab 4x4 trucks. At least I didnt lift them.....stock suspension and wheels on them both.) :)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I’d still like to see a Mark E ? It would never sell though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My second bet is an all-electric version of the new Maverick mini-pickup.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Correct. I hope some of our American habits mature a bit. Many of us dont need a crew cab lifted 4x4 pickup to get to work and back.

(Said the guy what still owns 2 Super Duty PowerStroke crew cab 4x4 trucks. At least I didnt lift them.....stock suspension and wheels on them both.) :)
I need this guy:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach-E platform will be used for another electric vehicle b75bb140a06c7843565c011927799c1e

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe they share the same battery cells.
Yep. And they probably chose the smaller battery pack to maximize cargo capacity (roughly 10% more cargo (weight) capacity than if they'd used the ER battery). Only 126 mile range, but their studies showed that most uses are driven under 74 miles/day. City deliveries, service vehicles, etc.

Without the need to use it for 1000 mile family vacations, a BEV can be a good fit. That's where targeted commercial uses are often much better as BEVs than family passenger vehicles are, where people want much more versatility.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. And they probably chose the smaller battery pack to maximize cargo capacity (roughly 10% more cargo (weight) capacity than if they'd used the ER battery). Only 126 mile range, but their studies showed that most uses are driven under 74 miles/day. City deliveries, service vehicles, etc.

Without the need to use it for 1000 mile family vacations, a BEV can be a good fit. That's where targeted commercial uses are often much better as BEVs than family passenger vehicles are, where people want much more versatility.
s
And the fact that they are breaking often that means a lot of regen for these type of vehicle.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag

My understanding is there's more room in the MachE than the Edge, slot more than Escape.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My understanding is there's more room in the MachE than the Edge, slot more than Escape.
Not cargo space-wise. The Mach-E is less than both on the inside. Mach-E cargo space (seats down) is 60 cf. Escape is 65 and Edge 73. And the Mach-e is shorter (height) than both.

The Mach-e does add 4.8 cf with the frunk though, so that offsets a little. Combine the two and it's pretty close to the Escape. Although not sure how much I'd count the frunk since it won't help the cabin space feel.

Exterior, the Mach-E is a few inches longer than the Escape though, due to the long front end.

As far as front seating area and rear legroom though, I'm not sure. Haven't compared those numbers. My guess it pretty close to the Escape, maybe a tad roomier there.
Sponsored

Last edited: