Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E platform will be used for another electric vehicle

It's investing money and hiring workers to build the electric F-150 and E-Transit

jeremy-korzeniewski.jpg

Jeremy Korzeniewski
Nov 10th 2020 at 9:52AM

Ford is embarking on an electrified hiring and spending spree. We'll get to those details in a moment, but first we'll go over the vehicles all these workers will build, including one surprise.

"An additional electrified vehicle" that "will share a similar electrified platform as the Mustang Mach-E" is planned for the plant in Cuautitlan, Mexico. We're not sure what that electric vehicle may be, where it will be sold, or even what form factor it will take. One benefit to modern architecture designed to support electrified vehicles is that it's basically a flat platform that can support nearly any type of body on top. So everything from coupes and sedans to crossovers and wagons can all be produced using the same underpinnings.

The other electric machines are the F-150 pickup truck that will be built at the Rouge Plant in Dearborn, Michigan, and an all-new E-Transit commercial van that will be built in Kansas City.

Ford says interest in the electric F-150, which is scheduled to go on sale in 2022, has been strong enough that it will increase production capacity by 50% from its original plans. That means another 200 permanent jobs on top of 300 jobs previously promised for the electric F-150 line. The automaker will also invest $150 million to add production of electric vehicle motors and transaxles at its Van Dyke Transmission Plant in near Detroit, retaining 225 jobs.

Next up: Ford will invest $100 million and hire 150 workers to build electric versions of its Transit commercial van, scheduled to go on sale in late 2021. The electrified Transit van could prove attractive for companies that specialize in delivery services in heavily populated areas.

This is all part of Ford's overall strategy to deliver "affordable, capable electric vehicles in the heart of the retail and commercial market rather than six-figure status vehicles,” says Kumar Galhotra, president of Ford's Americas and International Markets Group.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/10/ford-electric-vehicle-future-mach-e-f-150-transit/
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Country flag
I'd be shocked if it was anything other than a Lincoln variant with similar proportions to the Mach-E.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'd be shocked if it was anything other than a Lincoln variant with similar proportions to the Mach-E.
Maybe, although I wouldn't call it a "variant" like I would other Ford-Lincoln variants. Those are usually the same vehicle with just slight differences. In this case, the MME has a heavy Mustang influence in the body, and I wouldn't expect that to be make a Lincoln variant.

But perhaps a similar size (but different) Lincoln body could be possible.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe a standard Mustang?
I saw one site speculate that (a baby Mustang), but think that was a pure guess, not any actual knowledge of it.

I presume same platform means same frame, which would mean same size.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Country flag
Maybe, although I wouldn't call it a "variant" like I would other Ford-Lincoln variants. Those are usually the same vehicle with just slight differences. In this case, the MME has a heavy Mustang influence in the body, and I wouldn't expect that to be make a Lincoln variant.

But perhaps a similar size (but different) Lincoln body could be possible.
Certainly the body style will be different. Everything Lincoln has put out in the last 5 years has had unique body and interior styling, and I'm sure a Mach-E platform vehicle would be no different. The days of simply making a few cosmetic changes and branding it a Lincoln are well behind us.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Ford has said they want to have more affordable electric vehicles. An all electric Fusion-esque vehicle or all electric Edge type vehicle would not surprise me.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Certainly the body style will be different. Everything Lincoln has put out in the last 5 years has had unique body and interior styling, and I'm sure a Mach-E platform vehicle would be no different. The days of simply making a few cosmetic changes and branding it a Lincoln are well behind us.
Remember that the original Mercury Cougar was a Mustang variant. Maybe they'll bring back the cat?

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Would love to see a sedan version of the Mach-E but would not kick a LMC version out of bed either.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I would expect some form of Lincoln that would have dual propulsion units with different power outputs than the MME, completely differently tuned drive/suspension experience, and an entirely different passenger experience. It may have the same wheelbase, and use the same batteries and some suspension and steering components, but I’d expect that it would absolutely be a distinctly different vehicle - not a reskinnes Mustang Mach e. Who knows - perhaps they might dust off the “Mark” name and come out with a Lincoln Mark E? ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Ford has said they want to have more affordable electric vehicles. An all electric Fusion-esque vehicle or all electric Edge type vehicle would not surprise me.
I'd buy a full BEV of my Fusion Energi in a heartbeat. The Fusion really was an underrated sedan that deserved better than slow death by neglect.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I don’t see sedans any time soon. That market is fading. Maybe an Edge? Lincoln? Electric Bronco Sport (let’s face it - very few Bronco sports will ever deliberately leave a paved surface ?)

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E platform will be used for another electric vehicle

It's investing money and hiring workers to build the electric F-150 and E-Transit

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach-E platform will be used for another electric vehicle jeremy-korzeniewski

Jeremy Korzeniewski
Nov 10th 2020 at 9:52AM

Ford is embarking on an electrified hiring and spending spree. We'll get to those details in a moment, but first we'll go over the vehicles all these workers will build, including one surprise.

"An additional electrified vehicle" that "will share a similar electrified platform as the Mustang Mach-E" is planned for the plant in Cuautitlan, Mexico. We're not sure what that electric vehicle may be, where it will be sold, or even what form factor it will take. One benefit to modern architecture designed to support electrified vehicles is that it's basically a flat platform that can support nearly any type of body on top. So everything from coupes and sedans to crossovers and wagons can all be produced using the same underpinnings.

The other electric machines are the F-150 pickup truck that will be built at the Rouge Plant in Dearborn, Michigan, and an all-new E-Transit commercial van that will be built in Kansas City.

Ford says interest in the electric F-150, which is scheduled to go on sale in 2022, has been strong enough that it will increase production capacity by 50% from its original plans. That means another 200 permanent jobs on top of 300 jobs previously promised for the electric F-150 line. The automaker will also invest $150 million to add production of electric vehicle motors and transaxles at its Van Dyke Transmission Plant in near Detroit, retaining 225 jobs.

Next up: Ford will invest $100 million and hire 150 workers to build electric versions of its Transit commercial van, scheduled to go on sale in late 2021. The electrified Transit van could prove attractive for companies that specialize in delivery services in heavily populated areas.

This is all part of Ford's overall strategy to deliver "affordable, capable electric vehicles in the heart of the retail and commercial market rather than six-figure status vehicles,” says Kumar Galhotra, president of Ford's Americas and International Markets Group.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/10/ford-electric-vehicle-future-mach-e-f-150-transit/
Apparently the E-Transit will be unveiled thursday Nov 12 2020

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Apparently the E-Transit will be unveiled thursday Nov 12 2020
Probably the bigger overall impact. Commercial vehicles like local delivery vans have more targeted use, and thus are better fits for BEV than consumer personal vehicles that people want to serve a variety of purposes.
Sponsored