Ford Mustang Mach E review by Mustang collector: awesome new vehicle that tried to kill me 3 times!

Goose17

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustangs: 89, 93, 94, 95, 96, 00, 04, 11, 20
Country flag
Hello all! Newbie Mustang enthusiast here! I have 9 Mustangs and got my hands on a Mach E:

In this video, I get a Ford Mustang Mach E to try for 3 days. I surprise the wife with it! The Mach E might be her next vehicle. We take it on multiple test drives and film it inside and out. Included is footage I was shooting with the vehicle running on "autopilot" (Intelligent Cruise Control) when it tried to take me off-road into obstacles as well as running towards a handicapped person. This was our first time in a self driving vehicle... We loved the Mach E, but use the Intelligent Cruise Control with EXTREME CAUTION!

Sponsored

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello all! Newbie Mustang enthusiast here! I have 9 Mustangs and got my hands on a Mach E:

In this video, I get a Ford Mustang Mach E to try for 3 days. I surprise the wife with it! The Mach E might be her next vehicle. We take it on multiple test drives and film it inside and out. Included is footage I was shooting with the vehicle running on "autopilot" (Intelligent Cruise Control) when it tried to take me off-road into obstacles as well as running towards a handicapped person. This was our first time in a self driving vehicle... We loved the Mach E, but use the Intelligent Cruise Control with EXTREME CAUTION!

I drove with the "Lane Keeping Assist" and it followed the turns at speeds between 35 and 75 with no problems. Keep in mind that the roads I drove were well marked. It even did well through intersections were the lines disappeared.

Yes, the Adaptive Cruise Control was also on so it slowed down to a full and complete stop with no action from me.

It took some getting used to but I thought it did very well.

At first it was weird in that I did not realize it was going to do the turns without any action by me. My wife's Lincoln MKZ Hybrid has the Lane Keeping Feature but all it does is rattle the steering wheel when you cross over the lane markers.

OP
OP

Goose17

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustangs: 89, 93, 94, 95, 96, 00, 04, 11, 20
Country flag
Space white or star white?
Space White
I drove with the "Lane Keeping Assist" and it followed the turns at speeds between 35 and 75 with no problems. Keep in mind that the roads I drove were well marked. It even did well through intersections were the lines disappeared.

Yes, the Adaptive Cruise Control was also on so it slowed down to a full and complete stop with no action from me.

It took some getting used to but I thought it did very well.

At first it was weird in that I did not realize it was going to do the turns without any action by me. My wife's Lincoln MKZ Hybrid has the Lane Keeping Feature but all it does is rattle the steering wheel when you cross over the lane markers.
It does a great job on well defined, normal roads. Any weird anomalies and the system doesn’t handle it so well. It does take some nerve... this was a very new experience for us. I could see using it on the freeway, but not elsewhere until it gets better programming.
These people are why we Have Frunk Dividers, and no Tow rating for the US. I do hope Ford Put "Do Not Put in Mouth" on the Key FOB so nobody chokes to death.
“These people?” This was my wife and me experiencing a new vehicle with new tech. I am a diehard Mustang fan/collector... this is a new venture.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Space White

It does a great job on well defined, normal roads. Any weird anomalies and the system doesn’t handle it so well. It does take some nerve... this was a very new experience for us. I could see using it on the freeway, but not elsewhere until it gets better programming.

“These people?” This was my wife and me experiencing a new vehicle with new tech. I am a diehard Mustang fan/collector... this is a new venture.
Welcome... but as others said there is no self driving and no autopilot.... I am not sure how it took you into obstacles but you are to have your hands on the wheel all the time and steer the vehicle.

Deleted member 2014

Hey. Nice to read you enjoyed it.
But honestly i wouldn´t leave that part with what you called "autopilot" in your video, as it is potencially missleading to a lot of people.
Like others mentioned before. There are no vehicles out there, offering full self driving, although some "car" manufactures try to make people believe they do. There are future features coming for North America allowing you to take your hands of the steering wheel on dedicated highways or interstates.

Edit: By thinking that the car drives by itself, it´s not the car trying to kill you. You´re forcing it to do so ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker

Better read the manual next time before you start experimenting? the car is fine and I won't say anymore ?

Last edited:

SimS

First Name
Sim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Prius, F150
Country flag
These people are why we Have Frunk Dividers, and no Tow rating for the US. I do hope Ford Put "Do Not Put in Mouth" on the Key FOB so nobody chokes to death.
You reminded me of a warning message I had on one of my first laptop computers. Clearly embossed on the battery: "Do not hammer nails into this battery".
BTW the frunk divider was designed to discourage small children from riding in the front. The lawyers still demanded the glow in the dark release button. Also all of the MME white shipping plastic wrap says "This not a toy. Do not give to children" /sarc

SimS

sambastang

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Veloster, 2021 Mustang Mach-E FE
Occupation
IT Engineer
Country flag
? So salty in here! Woo! Easy on the noobs, kids - we were all there just a few short months ago. ? To OP - welcome to the forum, and nope it's not at "Batmobile" just yet, but who knows what the next OTA will bring? ? (and don't even get us STARTED on one-pedal driving)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

It looked like the Mach E was doing very well at what it is designed for. Ford makes it quite clear that it is not for making turns (the right turn and handicapped person on the island). Next time, set your camera so that it shows the entire driver display. Now that I've had many hours of driving the Mach E using Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), in situations like that it normally will show you that the system is switched off. It also does not work well in construction zones, so if you have cones/barrels or temporary concrete barriers right next to the edge of your driving lane you should be driving manually. In many of those cases the car is unable to distinguish the lane lines.

Note that Ford never calls it autopilot. What you are using is Adaptive (or Intelligent) Cruise Control with Lane Centering. The manual has warnings that the system will turn off or may not work properly in most of the situations you show:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach E review by Mustang collector: awesome new vehicle that tried to kill me 3 times! Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.53.47 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach E review by Mustang collector: awesome new vehicle that tried to kill me 3 times! Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.54.06 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach E review by Mustang collector: awesome new vehicle that tried to kill me 3 times! Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.54.26 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach E review by Mustang collector: awesome new vehicle that tried to kill me 3 times! Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.55.47 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mustang Mach E review by Mustang collector: awesome new vehicle that tried to kill me 3 times! Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.56.31 AM

bburk00

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'68 Mustang, 2021 MME FE, 2022 MME GTPE
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Welcome Tim. If you and your wife do decide to get one, I would recommend installing an EVSE, we have the Enel X Juicebox and it will charge our car from 20% to 90% easily over night. We have it set to stop charging at 90%, but could easily get to 100%.

I know you don't need AWD in Texas but you might want to also look at the Premium AWD Extended range. You get more horsepower and torque compared to the California Route 1 you were testing. It would feel more like a regular Mustang GT in terms of get up and go.

On the one pedal driving, it does take a second to get used to. However, I drive it like an electric golf cart. The accelerator is just the "go" pedal. For smooth transitions don't take your foot completely off of it. After owning my car for a week now, I never hit the brake and my stops are smooth as glass.

As mentioned above the driver assist is really meant for well defined roads. For example if we have snow on the road it doesn't work because it can't see the lane markers. Ford is planning to expand the "autonomous" ability on pre-mapped roads like major interstates so that it is more self driving. But once you figure out the rules of the road on driver assist it is super easy to use and a great asset on trips.

Again, welcome. And you have a great Mustang collection. I wish I would have kept all mine over the years.
Sponsored

Last edited: