Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The biggest deal about Ford's wall charger is that it can charge at 48A (32 miles of range per hour).

Most chargers are 32-40A but high powered ones like Ford's cost about $1000. Tesla's wall charger can actually charge at up to 80A and costs $500. I bought the Tesla wall charger and will just use an adapter.
The old Tesla chargers could handle 80 amps, the current ones max at 48 amps
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The old Tesla chargers could handle 80 amps, the current ones max at 48 amps
Yeah, they recently changed that. It's an even better deal considering a 48A charger will run you about $800-$900 and the Tesla charger is now internet connected.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Chargepoint's flex EVSE is $699, and it goes up to 50A. If you have clearview energy as an electricity supplier in your state, they offer a plan which gives a $75 rebate on chargepoint EVSE's -AND they give you free EV charging on weekends if you have a chargepoint EVSE (I think up to 250 kwhr/month).

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Yeah, they recently changed that. It's an even better deal considering a 48A charger will run you about $800-$900 and the Tesla charger is now internet connected.
If the car is Wifi Connected, what advantage is it for the charger to be connected?

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
If the car is Wifi Connected, what advantage is it for the charger to be connected?
The AT&T LTE coverage that enables WIFI in the vehicle is only free for a short period of time and is only for connecting other devices to the internet while the vehicle is on (not the car itself while parked and turned off). A WIFI enabled EVSE would enable you to start/stop charging and check on the vehicle charge status using your home internet connection.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If the charger is outside, you can wirelessly control its use. Say, it's in your driveway or you own a hotel. Maybe you don't want random people using it without authorization. Or maybe you only want it to work during certain business hours or electrical tariffs. Lots of reasons for it to be WiFi enabled.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
If the charger is outside, you can wirelessly control its use. Say, it's in your driveway or you own a hotel. Maybe you don't want random people using it without authorization. Or maybe you only want it to work during certain business hours or electrical tariffs. Lots of reasons for it to be WiFi enabled.
Ford has WIFI now for its cars. I do not understand the purpose of WIFI on a charger unless you simply want to check on the time of charge and how much is being charged. WIFI seems to be cropping up everywhere. I recently had to replace my water heater at home and I was asked if I wanted a WIFI water heater so that I could set the temperature. For $100.00 more I said no thanks..I do not care what the temperature is as long as it is hot when I need it.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The AT&T LTE coverage that enables WIFI in the vehicle is only free for a short period of time and is only for connecting other devices to the internet while the vehicle is on (not the car itself while parked and turned off). A WIFI enabled EVSE would enable you to start/stop charging and check on the vehicle charge status using your home internet connection.
Isn't that if I want hotspot access in the car for general internet use. Teslas will let you check the charging status and so forth without paying any extra fees.

Ford has WIFI now for its cars. I do not understand the purpose of WIFI on a charger unless you simply want to check on the time of charge and how much is being charged. WIFI seems to be cropping up everywhere. I recently had to replace my water heater at home and I was asked if I wanted a WIFI water heater so that I could set the temperature. For $100.00 more I said no thanks..I do not care what the temperature is as long as it is hot when I need it.
That's why I'm asking, because I thought you could do that now with the Car app. I agree with your wifi sentiment, I'm looking at new refrigerators and a lot of Wifi, and all it does is allow you to change the temp of the fridge or turn the ice maker on/off. It also can alert you if the temperature gets too warm. Not worth it considering it would be introducing potential vulnerabilities on my network.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Isn't that if I want hotspot access in the car for general internet use. Teslas will let you check the charging status and so forth without paying any extra fees.

That's why I'm asking, because I thought you could do that now with the Car app. I agree with your wifi sentiment, I'm looking at new refrigerators and a lot of Wifi, and all it does is allow you to change the temp of the fridge or turn the ice maker on/off. It also can alert you if the temperature gets too warm. Not worth it considering it would be introducing potential vulnerabilities on my network.
My thought is that I would ONLY use WIFI at home. I NEVER use FREE WIFI for obvious reasons. If I have to pay extra which I doubt since the car does updates through WIFI then I would not do it for charging.
On my 20-7 Fusion AWD sport the ford pass already tells me where my car is, oil percentage lock and unlock. I expect the mustang to be the same and if charging it will tell you how much.

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
I know 50k will be produced in the first year globally. Has anyone read about how they expect production will ramp up in the first year - how many per month etc?

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
The only reason it is 50,000 is because the LG plant in Poland working 24/7 and therefore the cheapest cost. They are the ONLY client. Ford is building more battery plants I think in Mexico and possibly US.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The only reason it is 50,000 is because the LG plant in Poland working 24/7 and therefore the cheapest cost. They are the ONLY client. Ford is building more battery plants I think in Mexico and possibly US.
The LG Chem plant is the only supplier of batteries for the Mach-e. But Ford isn't the only buyer of that LG Chem plant's batteries. They've already been putting out about 100,000 batteries/year going to various customers. And that plant recently announced huge expansion plans to be completed over the next 2 years.

https://www.electrive.com/2018/11/29/lg-chem-triples-manufacturing-capacities-in-poland/

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
The LG Chem plant is the only supplier of batteries for the Mach-e. But Ford isn't the only buyer of that LG Chem plant's batteries. They've already been putting out about 100,000 batteries/year going to various customers. And that plant recently announced huge expansion plans to be completed over the next 2 years.

https://www.electrive.com/2018/11/29/lg-chem-triples-manufacturing-capacities-in-poland/
that is interesting. I read an article by Ford that stated the cheapest way to produce batteries was 24/7 and that they had a sole contract with them. Next time I see it I will post it. However thanks for the clarification. I was unaware.