Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
that is interesting. I read an article by Ford that stated the cheapest way to produce batteries was 24/7 and that they had a sole contract with them. Next time I see it I will post it. However thanks for the clarification. I was unaware.
I think I remember reading that somewhere too. Talked about sharing the batteries with the Ford Transit too, in order to get better economies of scale. I remember that 24/7 reference. That does seem to conflict. Maybe the Ford contract with them is for one dedicated assembly line within the plant, or a dedicated timeframe or something?

Reactions: UW2

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here is the article. It states a dedicated line which I took to mean the entire plant. My bad. Sorry

https://www.motor1.com/news/393131/mustang-mach-e-shares-battery-transit/
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was assuming but couldn't remember for sure. Interesting how they basically contract for a dedicated assembly line rather than just X number of standard cells. From what I recall, even though the LG Chem plants can produce battery packs too, Ford was going to build their own in the Mexico plant and just ship the cells over to assemble the pack themselves.

Windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt EV, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Renewable Energy Instructor
Country flag

Jvanderwoud

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Did you get any useful info? I’m thinking of switching from Premium to GT

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Is this possible? I thought battery/color were only editable parts

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta
Country flag
At least with regards to U.S. reservations (and maybe others?): So far, we've been told that when it's time to convert a reservation into an order, all the details of the car can be switched around, including the trim level. The only thing you can't do is switch from a non-First Edition to a FE trim.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicles
2019 Prius PHEV
Country flag
At least with regards to U.S. reservations (and maybe others?): So far, we've been told that when it's time to convert a reservation into an order, all the details of the car can be switched around, including the trim level. The only thing you can't do is switch from a non-First Edition to a FE trim.
This is also true for UK orders (and probably the rest of Europe too)

mamejunkie

Reaction score
Vehicles
GLC, Scion xB
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wonder what happens to the FE reservations for those that decides not to follow thru or change to another trim. Will in be available to order or the number of FE produced just gets less (become more limited)?

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition (Ordered)
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I wonder what happens to the FE reservations for those that decides not to follow thru or change to another trim. Will in be available to order or the number of FE produced just gets less (become more limited)?
My guess would be yes but the most likely scenario is that if John Smith Dealership has an FE cancellation they will call their other client with reservations and ask them first if they want to switch. I would not be surprised if all dealerships have a list of those people who want an FE but waited too long so they ordered one and told them to put them on a list.