Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX5
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Looks like a lot of people here are cross shopping the Mach E and Tesla Model Y. I'm also in that same category.

Things I'm comparing in no particular order

1. Range
2. Utility (storage, cargo, towing capability)
3. Driver Safety Feature (Adap. Cruise Control, Emergency Braking, Lane Keeping, AutoPIlot)
4. What can be updated Over the Air (OTA)
5. Price
6. Performance
7, Exterior/Interior color options
8. EV features (charge rate (at home and on trips), etc
9. Looks

A lot of these we've briefly seen before the web-page was taken down. But a few are still unknown. One feature I'm keenly watching is the towing capability. Tesla hasn't given the Model Y tow rating yet, just that it will be capable. Don't need much, but I do have the need to tow a 2000lb trailer for very short distance rather often. Based on the pictures of the MachE, I'm starting to doubt it will have this functionality. We shall see on Sunday night.

--
MHC
Sponsored

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Camaro SS
Country flag
Also need to compare the ability to get the car fixed if it's damaged. Tesla is notorious for taking a long time to get it fixed.

Plus, there are a lot more "service centres" for Ford than there are for Tesla.

Supercharging network is also a factor. Tesla has an amazing one.

But the biggest factor would be price. If it's very similar in price then I'm leaning more towards a Tesla.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Following this thread because I am in the same boat. I feel like the pricing dynamic is pretty interesting.

For instance, if you want the fastest model, the Mach E gives you best bang for the buck. The GT model is $53k after tax incentives for the 3.5 0-60. The equivalent Model Y is $61k. However, I wonder if Tesla's recent software upgrade will give the Tesla a leg up in speed. Tesla also offers 30 to 45 miles more in range

However, if you want to drop down to the next trim level, it gets a bit different. The First Edition Model E is $52.4k after incentives and gives you 5.5 0-60 and 270 miles of range. You can get the Long Range AWD Model Y for $52k. That gives you a 0-60 of 4.8 MPH and a 280 mile range.

I am really interested in comparing interior space in both. If one is way smaller, than could be the deciding factor for me.

I also wonder if Ford will try to offer anything similar to Tesla's self driving capabilities. That is something that seems to be unique to the Tesla brand.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think a few of us are in this boat. I would really like this car to work for my family and I. We'll just have to see what the storage looks like, among the other comparisons as well. I would prefer the two displays though, as it's a little jarring how the Model 3 and Y don't have anything in front of the driver.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
The lack of a hatch ruled out the model 3 for me, the model Y will fix that particular issue but having ridden in model 3 and taking one for a drive the off center screen just doesn't work for me. I didn't like the centrally mounted speedo in the classic mini back in the day replacing it with a screen isn't winning me over either.

Looks wise the model s with the revised front end is the best of the bunch from tesla, the model 3 just looks truncated and the model X overweight. The model Y looks a lot better resolved than the X and is similar in style to the mach-e.

I will wait till I see the mach-e in the flesh to make a final judgment call as some vehicles really do no photograph well, but based on the images the overall proportions of the mach-e are just off I am not convinced slapping some mustang inspired lights and attempting to tie it to the mustang design wise has done it any favors in the looks department. The I-pace is miles ahead of both the mach-e & model Y in the exterior looks department.

But looks are subjective and seeing as I will spend more time sitting in the car than looking at it of the two I prefer the interior of the mach-e over the model Y and if the mach-e gets some daft fake engine cabin noise I hope it can be turned off.

I imagine the GT will look better with the larger wheels and probably have some additional design differences to distinguish it from the other versions but making an electric car accelerate fast is easy it is doing the rest expected of a performance ford that is not, the taycan shows what can be done and ford certainly have the chassis engineers up to the task. I'm just not sure the mach-e is the best starting platform as the GT seems more of a trim level after thought, the model Y would be a better bet for those interested in 0-60 times.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The lack of a hatch ruled out the model 3 for me, the model Y will fix that particular issue but having ridden in model 3 and taking one for a drive the off center screen just doesn't work for me. I didn't like the centrally mounted speedo in the classic mini back in the day replacing it with a screen isn't winning me over either.

Looks wise the model s with the revised front end is the best of the bunch from tesla, the model 3 just looks truncated and the model X overweight. The model Y looks a lot better resolved than the X and is similar in style to the mach-e.

I will wait till I see the mach-e in the flesh to make a final judgment call as some vehicles really do no photograph well, but based on the images the overall proportions of the mach-e are just off I am not convinced slapping some mustang inspired lights and attempting to tie it to the mustang design wise has done it any favors in the looks department. The I-pace is miles ahead of both the mach-e & model Y in the exterior looks department.

But looks are subjective and seeing as I will spend more time sitting in the car than looking at it of the two I prefer the interior of the mach-e over the model Y and if the mach-e gets some daft fake engine cabin noise I hope it can be turned off.

I imagine the GT will look better with the larger wheels and probably have some additional design differences to distinguish it from the other versions but making an electric car accelerate fast is easy it is doing the rest expected of a performance ford that is not, the taycan shows what can be done and ford certainly have the chassis engineers up to the task. I'm just not sure the mach-e is the best starting platform as the GT seems more of a trim level after thought, the model Y would be a better bet for those interested in 0-60 times.
Hopefully the Mach E will have some smart storage capacity, as that's really what will sell this to non-GT owners. I still am up in the air about which trim. I want the performance, but at the cost of ~70 miles of charge? Sunday will tell I suppose.

Reactions: F91

FordTechOne

First Name
FordTech
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape
Occupation
Software Designer
Country flag
What would be the long term battery issues with a Ford? Will it last as long as the Model 3 or Y, I did not like the Nissan Leaf's battery problems and I am unsure about the orders Model S from 2012 Tech.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
What would be the long term battery issues with a Ford? Will it last as long as the Model 3 or Y, I did not like the Nissan Leaf's battery problems and I am unsure about the orders Model S from 2012 Tech.
The battery problems with the Nissan Leaf is do to the lack of an active thermal management system for the battery pack. Tesla and most other manufactures of electric vehicles have thermal management systems.

It is assumed that the Mach-e has thermal management cooling loops for the battery, motor controller, charger and motors.

This is an important detail that needs to be verified.

Reactions: F91

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
Is a charger install less than $7500...?

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Also need to compare the ability to get the car fixed if it's damaged. Tesla is notorious for taking a long time to get it fixed.

Plus, there are a lot more "service centres" for Ford than there are for Tesla.

Supercharging network is also a factor. Tesla has an amazing one.

But the biggest factor would be price. If it's very similar in price then I'm leaning more towards a Tesla.
I think this will help with any charging issues
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ging-network-in-the-us-12k-stations.11/unread

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Hopefully the Mach E will have some smart storage capacity, as that's really what will sell this to non-GT owners. I still am up in the air about which trim. I want the performance, but at the cost of ~70 miles of charge? Sunday will tell I suppose.
My thoughts also, while I intend the mach-e to be the daily commuter where I just slowly crawl along in traffic most of the time performance is not my top priority, but owning a focus st & rs and having owned various performance fords in my youth when living in the UK including various tuned cossies when the traffic finally clears I can at least enjoy the section through the canyons.

So my first thoughts had me gravitating towards the GT but as the specs on the site changed a bit during the day so are not final, worst case it has 235 miles range or best case 250 miles. While not bad they are not great either when compared to the model Y performance and until the infrastructure improves range anixty is not going to go away.

No doubt I am biased but I would be more interested in the GT trim had it been developed under ford performance banner, then again so was the Edge ST and that is truly terrible with the GT not available until 2021 there is plenty of time for it get improvements so time will tell.

I guess now I just need to see what the grey color looks like as the limited choice of 3 colors for the first edition may mean you have to go down the premium route to get a color I like.

JB.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette z51 and alfa stelvio ti sport
Country flag
Model Y is frumpy looking.

Fords excellence in delivering what we as consumers expect after the sale with regards to parts and service is also where ford should shine.

Tesla after the sale service is horrendous. Have an accident , a small fender bender could take four months to get repaired. Thats ridiculous and unacceptable.

Ford , GM etc will deliver excellence in after sale service beyond what Mr Musk can even dream of.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Agree on the after sales that is where the dealer network shines, but in this day an age they should just be service centers, the whole sales staff can be replaced by a web page and that is where tesla shines.

Having put up with the numerous idiotic parasitic ADM dealers on the west coast when shopping for my focus RS, I had no problem traveling a couple of 100 miles to one that understood how to make a sale..

I am hoping that with the mach-e and the need to make a reservation that it will be same as audi and the e-tron, you pick a dealer to send it to and that it no BS no haggling with sales staff you pay the price on the web sites the same way as everything else in the 21st century

BadaBing

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang & Explorer
Country flag
Model Y is frumpy looking.

Fords excellence in delivering what we as consumers expect after the sale with regards to parts and service is also where ford should shine.

Tesla after the sale service is horrendous. Have an accident , a small fender bender could take four months to get repaired. Thats ridiculous and unacceptable.

Ford , GM etc will deliver excellence in after sale service beyond what Mr Musk can even dream of.
Agreed this is where the legacy manufacturers can one-up Tesla. I have a buddy with a Model X with a rear axle that needs to be replaced. It's been 8 months since Tesla diagnosed and supposedly ordered the replacement axle. He still hasn't heard from them to come in for the replacement. :eek: The traditional manufacturers would be lambasted for that kind of service.

Midnight Blue

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜15 Accord; ā€˜94 GT Mustang
Country flag
I am hoping that with the mach-e and the need to make a reservation that it will be same as audi and the e-tron, you pick a dealer to send it to and that it no BS no haggling with sales staff you pay the price on the web sites the same way as everything else in the 21st century
Having sold many new cars in my younger days (at Ford) to get through school, Iā€˜m certain the dealers arenā€™t going away. Iā€™m equally certain you arenā€™t actually getting a deal when the price is locked.
Sponsored

Reactions: JB.
Status
Not open for further replies.