Almondtree

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Yesterday I got an email from my local dealer saying "we want your car" or something to that effect. Which translates to we'll take your car and put you in a new one. BTW, they have 50 new Mach E's on their lot and that's probably why they want existing customers to trade up. Anyway, since I've been wanting to trade my 2021 which just turned 2 years and get a lease on a new one, I sent a return email. Why do I want to trade up? We bought the car with Ford Options for 48 months because I thought we would keep it but I would rather have a lease on a new car since the technology keeps changing.
Anyway, one guy called and told me I have to bring in the car. I told him that they have the mileage (13,300) and the car is in excellent condition, so just give me your best price. Then I get a call from the used car manager and go through the same thing and told him I wouldn't hold him to the price and would bring the car in if it seemed reasonable. I didn't want to bring the car there because I had a feeling they would give me a lowball offer. Long story short -he said that my car was "going for $23,000." I said thank you and I'm not interested. I'll just ride out another 2 years and then turn it back under the Ford options.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sending out those "We want your car" notices is just a sales tactic to get you to come in and start talking about buying something new. Now that trade-in values are back to normal, there's no way it would be financially beneficial to trade in a 2 year old car on something new. And it definitely doesn't make sense to take that kind of a hit just to trade for essentially the same car.

OP
OP

Almondtree

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Sending out those "We want your car" notices is just a sales tactic to get you to come in and start talking about buying something new. Now that trade-in values are back to normal, there's no way it would be financially beneficial to trade in a 2 year old car on something new. And it definitely doesn't make sense to take that kind of a hit just to trade for essentially the same car.
Agree. I just thought I would give it a try with minimal effort. No way I was going to drive over there to hear them insult me.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Yeah anyone with Ford Options right now just needs to ride it out and then hand the keys back to Ford. No way a trade would be good for us.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yeah anyone with Ford Options right now just needs to ride it out and then hand the keys back to Ford. No way a trade would be good for us.
My Options contract is up next month, but I'll probably just buy it out. I'm not going to be able to find a better car for $24k.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Yesterday I got an email from my local dealer saying "we want your car" or something to that effect. Which translates to we'll take your car and put you in a new one. BTW, they have 50 new Mach E's on their lot and that's probably why they want existing customers to trade up. Anyway, since I've been wanting to trade my 2021 which just turned 2 years and get a lease on a new one, I sent a return email. Why do I want to trade up? We bought the car with Ford Options for 48 months because I thought we would keep it but I would rather have a lease on a new car since the technology keeps changing.
Anyway, one guy called and told me I have to bring in the car. I told him that they have the mileage (13,300) and the car is in excellent condition, so just give me your best price. Then I get a call from the used car manager and go through the same thing and told him I wouldn't hold him to the price and would bring the car in if it seemed reasonable. I didn't want to bring the car there because I had a feeling they would give me a lowball offer. Long story short -he said that my car was "going for $23,000." I said thank you and I'm not interested. I'll just ride out another 2 years and then turn it back under the Ford options.
Thanks for doing that. I’m at three years and was thinking it sounds good in print but I bet it’s a waste of time to go see them. Taken this long to get it running super well so nope.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Infiniti QX50, 21 MME SR RWD
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
My Options contract is up next month, but I'll probably just buy it out. I'm not going to be able to find a better car for $24k.
That's my thinking as well. Unless something goes sideways and I start having issues I'm gonna keep it.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Another part of their strategy to create interest and turn cars. Sell to us.

DustyShades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD Ex Infinite Blue
Country flag
I don’t understand. If your logic in getting a new Mach e on a lease is to have more flexibility because technology is changing so fast, why would you trade in your car with two years of payments left for a lease that will still end at approximately the same time? (Also on a car that has the same exact technology / features, which contradicts the whole premise this plan is based on to begin with)

This seems like the kind of poor logic I try to get my wife to bite on for financial decisions I know are irresponsible but I want to make anyway.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Very true. There’s deals to be had but $24k on a car you know is in good shape is going to be hard to beat.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The technology keeps changing? What technology changed since 2021?

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I don’t understand. If your logic in getting a new Mach e on a lease is to have more flexibility because technology is changing so fast, why would you trade in your car with two years of payments left for a lease that will still end at approximately the same time? (Also on a car that has the same exact technology / features, which contradicts the whole premise this plan is based on to begin with)

This seems like the kind of poor logic I try to get my wife to bite on for financial decisions I know are irresponsible but I want to make anyway.
Agreed. I advise people to tell the story without explaining the logic. There’s often none. Also, what tech changed in three years?

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
The technology keeps changing? What technology changed since 2021?
My 2021 Job 2 has more options and features than are offered on a new one! Self Parking, kick open trunk....

GatorGrowl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-e Premium ER RWD
Country flag
The depreciation isn’t that bad, IMHO. This is what I got for mine, which I paid $49,900 for:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford offer IMG_1272
Sponsored