Ford Options

Tanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Came across a bunch of normal dealer crap when looking for a Mach-E (e.g. ADMs, made up fees), but Fullerton was the only one uniquely bad enough to warrant warning folks.

I wanted a three year lease and was happy enough to use Ford Options, since it's "close enough" due to the option to return the vehicle in lieu of making the balloon payment. Most the dealers I spoke with about their inventory cars gave me a legitimate Options quote and the rest (other than Fullerton) didn't know how it works or weren't doing Options financing.

Fullerton was different: they gave me an Options quote with a monthly rate that was well below where others were (full $5k lower than typical quote over the 36 month period). It took multiple layers of questions before they disclosed that their financing has a higher residual value than Ford's 46% and no option to return the vehicle in lieu of balloon ("you can return, but you owe the difference between the value we assign to it and the balloon").

Unfortunately this isn't just some junior sales guy going rogue; I spoke with their sales manager (Joe Orlando) that confirmed that their "Ford Options" financing has no return option and he's already done 10+ of these this year.

There are certainly some charitable and less nefarious explanations (e.g. this is a bait and switch and F&I gives people the real monthly cost later in the process), but the fact that someone senior at the dealership insisted to me that they've done a done a bunch of these loans makes me worries enough to warn others about their predatory lending practices. This is similar to 2006-era mortgages: this would lure in someone to buy a more expensive car than they should by promising low monthly rates only to then leave them with a liability in year 3 instead of a clean return with no obligation (beyond the $475 disposition fee) that someone reading Ford's Options webpage would expect.
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Came across a bunch of normal dealer crap when looking for a Mach-E (e.g. ADMs, made up fees), but Fullerton was the only one uniquely bad enough to warrant warning folks.

I wanted a three year lease and was happy enough to use Ford Options, since it's "close enough" due to the option to return the vehicle in lieu of making the balloon payment. Most the dealers I spoke with about their inventory cars gave me a legitimate Options quote and the rest (other than Fullerton) didn't know how it works or weren't doing Options financing.

Fullerton was different: they gave me an Options quote with a monthly rate that was well below where others were (full $5k lower than typical quote over the 36 month period). It took multiple layers of questions before they disclosed that their financing has a higher residual value than Ford's 46% and no option to return the vehicle in lieu of balloon ("you can return, but you owe the difference between the value we assign to it and the balloon").

Unfortunately this isn't just some junior sales guy going rogue; I spoke with their sales manager (Joe Orlando) that confirmed that their "Ford Options" financing has no return option and he's already done 10+ of these this year.

There are certainly some charitable and less nefarious explanations (e.g. this is a bait and switch and F&I gives people the real monthly cost later in the process), but the fact that someone senior at the dealership insisted to me that they've done a done a bunch of these loans makes me worries enough to warn others about their predatory lending practices. This is similar to 2006-era mortgages: this would lure in someone to buy a more expensive car than they should by promising low monthly rates only to then leave them with a liability in year 3 instead of a clean return with no obligation (beyond the $475 disposition fee) that someone reading Ford's Options webpage would expect.
A smart customer always WINS!

I didn't have any issues with them, but I also didn't go with the Ford options rather the Ford 0.9% finance rate. The official "Ford Options Lease" can only be one thing which includes the $2500 incentive. Not sure how they could write that up as something else with different terms? Options is well documented on Ford's website. The Red carpet lease is one for sure to avoid. Sorry you had that experience...

Last edited:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Tanger,

I reached out to Joe this morning showing him this post, I did this because I have been recommending them based on my own experience. Since I would like to keep my reputation intact I wanted to know more information. The following was his response and it appears by policy he is not able to engage on forums (I didn't ask why or more about this).

While they might have blew it for you, there are others that live close to them and they really took care of me when I picked up 2/12/21 and there after.

I don't work for them or have any vested interest, just wanted to get some clarification for my own sake. People do make mistakes and sometimes don't do their homework first, however Ford HQ also didn't do the best job of educating dealers.

It was really bad back in Feb when almost every dealer was clueless in regards to Ford Options. Thanks to a forum member who saved the day for many members.

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 11.33.13 AM.png

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Ditschman Flemington Ford ran Ford Options for me without a hitch. Interest rate 2.25% for 36 months. There's the $2500 incentive that was added to money down. A clear win since I'm loving the car and will likely pay it off early next month.

Salesman said mine was around the 8th MME they've sold. I asked how many did Ford Options and he said about half of them. It's hard to believe Fullerton doesn't know what Ford Options is given it's popularity.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ditschman Flemington Ford ran Ford Options for me without a hitch. Interest rate 2.25% for 36 months. There's the $2500 incentive that was added to money down. A clear win since I'm loving the car and will likely pay it off early next month.

Salesman said mine was around the 8th MME they've sold. I asked how many did Ford Options and he said about half of them. It's hard to believe Fullerton doesn't know what Ford Options is given it's popularity.
At this point they know it well, early on not so much. My suggestion is to always go with the closest dealer to you as it makes the service appointments easier. My MME was #1 from them and they we’re really excited as was I.

FWIW, Joe owed up to it and apologized, I wouldn’t pass them up etc.

OP
OP

Tanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Tanger,

I reached out to Joe this morning showing him this post, I did this because I have been recommending them based on my own experience. Since I would like to keep my reputation intact I wanted to know more information. The following was his response and it appears by policy he is not able to engage on forums (I didn't ask why or more about this).

While they might have blew it for you, there are others that live close to them and they really took care of me when I picked up 2/12/21 and there after.

I don't work for them or have any vested interest, just wanted to get some clarification for my own sake. People do make mistakes and sometimes don't do their homework first, however Ford HQ also didn't do the best job of educating dealers.

It was really bad back in Feb when almost every dealer was clueless in regards to Ford Options. Thanks to a forum member who saved the day for many members.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Options Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 11.33.13 AM
Thanks for following up on this. What drove me to warn others was that Joe told me he's done "about a dozen of these Options loans already and that's just how they work". If that was just dealer bluster, then no harm done.

Also for what it's worth I checked for any texts, emails or VMs since I spoke to Joe and his sales associate a few weeks ago and didn't see any. Though of course it may have been another customer who had a similar conversation with him that he tried to reach out to.

In any case, I would never steer anyone away from a dealership just based on bluster and "creative truthtelling" - it's fine and all dealers do that; it's just the potential for predatory lending I was worried about. If Fullerton isn't writing any Options loans with a potential year three liability (and hopefully never had if they had the wrong information about the program as late Memorial Day) then the post served its purpose.

OP
OP

Tanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Basically you are left with a choice if he is a crook or just incompetent. In either case I would avoid that dealership.
Now now, let's not get carried away. Assuming he didn't actually write any of those loans, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them in the future.

On the crook part - I can't imagine they'd write any bad loans going forward with this in the record. And I'm sure since Ford frequents these forums, they can easily look into the financing associated with Fullerton's sales from earlier this year. Either they did write bad loans and Ford will come down on them hard or they didn't and Joe was unfortunate enough to BS his way into erroneously claiming he engaged in predatory lending (kinda funny TBH, but definitely not crookish).

On the incompetent part - I've spoken to enough NJ dealers to know understanding of the Options program is tenuous at best. Not knowing how Options works is about average and probably more a failing on FoMoCo's part in dealer education than an indictment of any specific dealer.

skuker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended
Country flag
I had a great experience with Fullerton. I can't imagine it was anything other than an honest mistake.

I bought my car about a month ago from them. I had been to several other dealers in the area and they were by far the best to work with. No hard sell, nothing hidden, and they gave me a significantly higher trade in value than anyone else offered. They even took off vin etching.

Now on the other hand Licardi up the road... Woof

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
On the incompetent part - I've spoken to enough NJ dealers to know understanding of the Options program is tenuous at best. Not knowing how Options works is about average and probably more a failing on FoMoCo's part in dealer education than an indictment of any specific dealer.
I have zero tolerance for that kind of ignorance, and I have hard time believing such people can stay in business. When I was buying my car I learned every piece of information publicly available, and I'm just a customer, not a professional. I absolutely expect finance people to know every detail every number to the last penny by heart, if they don't they deserve to be fired on the spot for incompetence, and I definitely wouldn't want to do anything with them.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Now now, let's not get carried away. Assuming he didn't actually write any of those loans, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them in the future.

On the crook part - I can't imagine they'd write any bad loans going forward with this in the record. And I'm sure since Ford frequents these forums, they can easily look into the financing associated with Fullerton's sales from earlier this year. Either they did write bad loans and Ford will come down on them hard or they didn't and Joe was unfortunate enough to BS his way into erroneously claiming he engaged in predatory lending (kinda funny TBH, but definitely not crookish).

Unless someone here actually got a bad loan which there is no evidence of, it not right to accuse them of any wrong doing. He said he misspoke and apologized, let’s leave it at that. They are a highly rated dealer, but any consumer should be educated before making a significant purchase. We should’t judge an entire dealership on a sales manager not knowing the ins and outs of the “Ford MME Options” program. There are tons of posts with finance issues dealing with the program all over the forum.

OP
OP

Tanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I have zero tolerance for that kind of ignorance, and I have hard time believing such people can stay in business. When I was buying my car I learned every piece of information publicly available, and I'm just a customer, not a professional. I absolutely expect finance people to know every detail every number to the last penny by heart, if they don't they deserve to be fired on the spot for incompetence, and I definitely wouldn't want to do anything with them.
Come on, it's a niche program on a low volume vehicle. It's completely normal for a dealer to not understand it. Many NJ dealers don't.

Just like I took him at his word that he wrote those loans, I'm happy to take him at his word that he misspoke. No harm done.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I had a great experience with Fullerton. I can't imagine it was anything other than an honest mistake.

I bought my car about a month ago from them. I had been to several other dealers in the area and they were by far the best to work with. No hard sell, nothing hidden, and they gave me a significantly higher trade in value than anyone else offered. They even took off vin etching.
As did I and a few others on the forum.

congrats see you on the road!

OP
OP

Tanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Unless someone here actually got a bad loan which there is no evidence of, it not right to accuse them of any wrong doing. He said he misspoke and apologized, let’s leave it at that. They are a highly rated dealer, but any consumer should be educated before making a significant purchase. We should’t judge an entire dealership on a sales manager not knowing the ins and outs of the “Ford MME Options” program. There are tons of posts with finance issues dealing with the program all over the forum.
The reason to make the post is that someone who got a bad loan wouldn't know it for three years until it's time to return the vehicle.

In any case, I took him at his word and changed the thread's title to not unnecessarily drag their reputation if this was an honest mistake.
Sponsored