GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Interesting. Here’s Google’s translation:

Ford confirms electric car on Volkswagen base in Europe
  • Matthieu LAURAUX May 29, 2020
ford-mustant-mach-3-0017-730x486.jpg

As part of this new partnership, Volkswagen will lend the ID.3 platform for the future European Ford electric vehicle. Two utilities with electrified versions are also planned.
The grouping of car manufacturers is confirmed in 2020. PSA and FCA will get married, the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance is consolidating and is thinking of strengthening the partnership with Daimler. More surprisingly, the union between Ford and Volkswagen that began in 2018 materializes even in times of the Covid-19 crisis.

An electric Ford SUV facing the e-2008?
This advanced partnership between the two groups focused in particular on electric cars. Despite the successful Mustang Mach-E , Ford has a significant delay, and will base its next vehicles on the MEB base of the Volkswagen group.

The new press release specifies that an "electric vehicle in Europe" will use the German platform well. It would be a compact SUV (unconfirmed), technical cousin of the Volkswagen ID.3 . It would thus compete with the Peugeot e-2008, the Kia e-Niro and the next Renault electric SUV. However, it should not arrive before 2022.

Also utilities
Another part of the partnership, Ford was to take the opportunity to develop utilities based on Volkswagen. Ultimately, it will be half and half.

Volkswagen will therefore focus on “an urban delivery van” and Ford on “a one-ton payload van”. These utilities will most likely be available in an electrified, plug-in hybrid and / or electric version.
The first could supplant the small Ford Transit / Tourneo Courrier, and be located under the Volkswagen Caddy. The second is the most astonishing. It would be slightly above the current Transit Connect (730 kg) and under the Transit Custom (3 tonnes).
essai-transit-tourneo-phev-0026.jpg

A little brother for the Ford Transit Custom plug-in hybrid?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sounding more like the Mach-e platform is for the Mach-e alone, rather than intended to be shared with other models as other manufacturers seem to be leveraging.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for the Mach-e. ?

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Sounding more like the Mach-e platform is for the Mach-e alone, rather than intended to be shared with other models as other manufacturers seem to be leveraging.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for the Mach-e. ?
I would think possibly a Escape/Kuga EV could use the MME platform as they are quite close size wise.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would think possibly a Escape/Kuga EV could use the MME platform as they are quite close size wise.
I know the Escape/Kuga already has a PHEV, but I don't remember if they said a BEV version is being planned.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
As part of the VW/Ford alliance, VW has invested 2.6 billioni into Argo Al-the Pittsburgh, Pa. based CMU self driving developmental company.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/12/v...ing-startup-argo-ai-as-part-of-ford-alliance/

At this time, VW/Ford still remain "rivals". As for the 2022 Escape PHEV moving to a full BEV, it isn't going to happen until a complete redesign of the "platform" occurs. The Escape PHEV was not designed with a thought of placing a battery pack on the floor of the vehicle. Meaning it will be 5-6 years out before such would occur.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As for the 2022 Escape PHEV moving to a full BEV, it isn't going to happen until a complete redesign of the "platform" occurs. The Escape PHEV was not designed with a thought of placing a battery pack on the floor of the vehicle. Meaning it will be 5-6 years out before such would occur.
That's kinda what I was figuring too. Frankly, I look at the Mach-e as their BEV counterpart to the Escape, but with a some cool upgrades to the styling, and of course the tech. They're pretty much the same size and functional shape on the interior.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, there is this bit of sharing between the Mach E and the Transit:
https://www.motor1.com/news/393131/mustang-mach-e-shares-battery-transit/
Yeah, I remember they were sharing the same batteries. But didn't sound like anything else. Or at least it wasn't mentioned. Maybe down the road they have plans for using the skateboard for more than one model.

If nothing else the concepts will learned from and shared. But I am a little surprised they haven't tried to share the skateboard platform (yet) in order to cut costs.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
WHAT VOLKSWAGEN’S INVESTMENT IN ARGO AI MEANS FOR FORD’S SELF-DRIVING VEHICLE BUSINESS
By John Lawler, CEO, Ford Autonomous Vehicles LLC, and Ford Motor Company Vice President, Mobility Partnerships

Click here to read the full story on Medium.

Last July, Ford and Volkswagen announced a collaboration with Argo AI to introduce autonomous vehicle technology in the U.S. and Europe. As part of this collaboration, Volkswagen would join Ford in investing in Argo AI. Working together with Argo AI positions both Ford and Volkswagen to better serve our future customers while improving cost and capital efficiencies. While the uncertainty of today’s business environment has created challenges for partnerships and investments in the self-driving space, this collaboration remains on track and will be a positive development for everyone involved. As a result, Volkswagen’s investment in Argo AI was finalized June 1.

In my previous role as vice president of Ford corporate strategy, I can tell you firsthand the moment our teams started talking, all three parties could see the value of working together. Here’s what we saw and why we believe it works for everyone involved – including our future customers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's a nice-looking vehicle. I thought it was the Mach-e at first. I like the back-end better as it appears to be a squarer back end and less sloping hatch. Although it also looks shorter.
Sponsored