Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
It's quite likely that performance upgrade "unlocks" will be sold OTA. It's all profit margin and Ford needs profit in a bad way.

Just like your phone and TV have unleashed a ton of profitable subscription services, we are probably going to see much the same for our cars. I'm not just talking about the MME but all cars going forward.
Agreed, but it will be easier to swallow as long as the paid upgrades offer real gains. Though, I feel as if range increases should be free.

If I remember correctly Tesla used to offer free supercharging for life with their early models. It would be nice to get something from Ford.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Agreed, but it will be easier to swallow as long as the paid upgrades offer real gains. Though, I feel as if range increases should be free.

If I remember correctly Tesla used to offer free supercharging for life with their early models. It would be nice to get something from Ford.
People always talk about OTA updates as this wonderful thing to make the car better over time. While that is very true in many respects, there are some OTA updates that can change things for the worse.

Tesla Model S 85 is a good example. The charging experience of the 85kWh pack is pretty atrocious these days and the range for many of these cars has been dialed back.

I'm pretty sure that range increases will be included for MME owners but I think performance unlocks will cost cash. The GT lineup probably offers the most opportunity since the hardware will probably be harmonized across the GT trims. Tesla used to charge $15,000 or more for a software update for Ludicrous mode on the Performance S/X. No reason why Ford can't do the same.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Dark Horse will be a special variant that will slot above the GT. There could be elements from these test/prove out vehicles that will make it to dark horse production. Most likely won't be revealed until after the GT launches as it will launch after the base and GT variants. Stay tuned for more info later.
Is Dark Horse the code name for the Performance Edition? Or something else? I've got the GT reserved, but waiting on the Performance Edition info...

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Am I the only one not feeling that high pitched ‘engine’ noise that the Mach E seemed to produce in the Bigfoot and now this video?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Am I the only one not feeling that high pitched ‘engine’ noise that the Mach E seemed to produce in the Bigfoot and now this video?
Definitely.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I couldn't get @JamieGeek's video to work, so here's another link: