Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Ok, a forum member (who shall remain anonymous unless they choose to step forward) messaged me privately with a suggestion that I throttle my ESVE down to 32 amps. This seems to be working well as evidenced by the fact that my current charging session is currently at 38 minutes, and 5kwh added. Both those numbers are orders of magnitude better than yesterday and I can live comfortably with this option until my dealership can get the parts needing to be replaced in.
Sponsored

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X 5, 2021 Mach E-Premium RWD Job 2
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
Ok, a forum member (who shall remain anonymous unless they choose to step forward) messaged me privately with a suggestion that I throttle my ESVE down to 32 amps. This seems to be working well as evidenced by the fact that my current charging session is currently at 38 minutes, and 5kwh added. Both those numbers are orders of magnitude better than yesterday and I can live comfortably with this option until my dealership can get the parts needing to be replaced in.
I use a ChargePoint at home and mine is set to 32amps. The cable and circuit breaker stay a lot cooler.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I got 4.2.6 on Tuesday afternoon, and then Tuesday night I spent over an hour trying to get the car to charge. It would charge for about 2 minutes then give the red ring of death and stop charging. I finally ended up rebooting my ChargePoint home flex and that seemed to get it to charge. I got home from work yesterday, plugged in, and got the same behavior except that rebooting the ESVE didn’t help. I’m heading to the dealership this morning as soon as they open… will update y’all as information comes in. I’m just glad in retrospect I didn’t get the update sooner as I was on a 1200 mile road trip until Tuesday. I literally got the update the minute I got into my driveway.
Hi Joe! I can look into your Mach-E's charger concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Mach-E's VIN?

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Exact same thing happened to me a while ago. Had to lower the amps way down to avoid the orange ring error. DCFC always worked fine though. Replacing the charge port fixed it and I’m charging at 48 amps at home again.

Deleted member 16048

I agree. I think there’s a difference. Much smoother. Especially as you get to a full stop. Really like the update

only quirk so far is that I charged to 100% last night even though it’s only configured for 85%. Hopefully a quirk
That quirk is definitely a know bug. It appears after the update, it ignores saved preferences. They have not addressed this, nor do I think it's a big priority for them as it has little negative impact to a customer. (More charge isn't a bad thing really.)

EDIT: Still waiting for 4.2.6 in EA. Maybe it will come? lol

EDIT 1:33p CST: We’ll the update downloaded and is installing right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 16048

I was trying Whisper and Engage. The blending feels better rather than it just abruptly cutting regen when friction is needed.
Definitely smoother in Unbridle, and a great improvement here. Sat in the vehicle during the update and was fun to hear all the clicks and chimes it did.

For a x.x.1 update, I am very happy with the improvements made.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Just downloaded and installed this afternoon. Took 2 attempts. Preconditions weren't met the first attempt.

I just drove 200mi into the mountains for the long weekend so I should be able to test the range estimating on Monday when I come home.

WildfireOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition
Country flag
4.2.6 has tried to install nearly a dozen times. Every everyday scenario imaginable. Plugged in to the home charger, not plugged in, driven for an hour beforehand, scheduled initiation, manual initiation... It always fails. Absolutely maddening.

Now I'm wondering if the fact that the charge port was replaced (under warranty) has something to do with the 4.2.6 install fail.

Last edited:

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Grabber Blue (hers) & FE Carbonized Grey (his)
Country flag
I got 4.2.6 on Tuesday afternoon, and then Tuesday night I spent over an hour trying to get the car to charge. It would charge for about 2 minutes then give the red ring of death and stop charging. I finally ended up rebooting my ChargePoint home flex and that seemed to get it to charge. I got home from work yesterday, plugged in, and got the same behavior except that rebooting the ESVE didn’t help. I’m heading to the dealership this morning as soon as they open… will update y’all as information comes in. I’m just glad in retrospect I didn’t get the update sooner as I was on a 1200 mile road trip until Tuesday. I literally got the update the minute I got into my driveway.
Same exact challenge here with L2 charging after 4.2.6 with the red ring.

Ironically I also have a 2021 Job 1 FE. My wife has a 2021 Job 1 FE that did not yet receive 4.2.6 and charging worked fine.

FWIW I went to the area Electrify America to test DCFC charging and it did charge. Went from 41-80% last night.

Will attempt to throttle down the ChargePoint in the am.

@Ford Motor Company - could probably use your assistance and will DM you, and will have to get the car into Ford anyway since I just passed 20,000.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
IMG_7708.jpeg
This is the part that has me concerned… they mad changes to the charge port, and now I can’t charge.
Did you get the “priority update”? It should have come in almost immediately after 4.2.6 was successfully installed.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This is the first I’ve seen of the “throttle down the charger” hack. I wonder what’s going on that makes it work?

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Did you get the “priority update”? It should have come in almost immediately after 4.2.6 was successfully installed.
I did, but I got 4,2,6 on Tuesday, and the follow along one didn’t show up until yesterday (Friday) evening.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
This is the first I’ve seen of the “throttle down the charger” hack. I wonder what’s going on that makes it work?
The direction to try it came from someone I trust due to their job, and it does seem to be working. It

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Grabber Blue (hers) & FE Carbonized Grey (his)
Country flag
The direction to try it came from someone I trust due to their job, and it does seem to be working. It
@JoeDimwit not seeing how you can change the amperage in the app. Any direction?
Sponsored