Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
The only issue is I realized 25 mins later that the car was trying to charge to 100% and have charged to full when I got home, even though it was set to the 80% limit point. I unplugged it, changed the set point to 70% and then it worked correctly. When I plugged it back in.
That happened to me with 3.6.2. I think it was because it was plugged in at the time. The next day, it reverted back to the schedule I had set. One of those bug/features. ;)
Sponsored

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
That happened to me with 3.6.2. I think it was because it was plugged in at the time. The next day, it reverted back to the schedule I had set. One of those bug/features. ;)
Different issue for me. I had left the house and during one of my stops 4.1.3 installed. 3 stops later I came home and plugged in.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Different issue for me. I had left the house and during one of my stops 4.1.3 installed. 3 stops later I came home and plugged in.
Ah, maybe it is just an update setting they push. After an update, charge to 100%. For 3.6.2, it did charge over 300 miles of estimated range for cold weather after the update. It has since mellowed but I am getting 225-245 at 90% SOC every day now instead of the 195 I was getting before the update.

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
So jealous of all the folks that can just install this stuff so easy. My MME just must be cursed or something :-(

days and days of trying to get 362 to install and nothin.
Sorry to hear that. I dont know how 3.6.1 which is a inhibit update got installed but 3.6.2 is not being installed.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, maybe it is just an update setting they push. After an update, charge to 100%. For 3.6.2, it did charge over 300 miles of estimated range for cold weather after the update. It has since mellowed but I am getting 225-245 at 90% SOC every day now instead of the 195 I was getting before the update.
I agree it does that…but I don’t think by design. I have had the 3.6.2, 4.1.1, 4.1.2 updates in the past week or so…but it only did it on 4.1.3. It also never did that with any of the other 5-6 updates prior…so I don’t think it is by design.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have one of those OBD2 readers as recommended by some members.

plugged in to car yesterday and while the car display was showing SOC of 84, the reading from the OBD2 was 80.8

this might have been discussed before but does anyone have an idea why.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

plugged in to car yesterday and while the car display was showing SOC of 84, the reading from the OBD2 was 80.8

There is a good reason for this- and it is correct.

Ford has a 8year 100K mile warranty, they are interested to ensure that there will be at least 70% capacity at the end of the warranty. LiPo batteries will last longer if they are not charged to full or drained to empty. This is why pack size is larger than is what is addressable/advertised-the engineers built in a buffer.

So when you charge a MachE to “100%”, that is not 100% of the total battery capacity. This is why the advertised capacity of an extended range pack is 91kW but it actually is 99kWh (possibly 98).

When a pack is at “100% SOC on the car, the actual pack charge is less. So the Pack shows you have 84%, but the actual pack has 80.8%.

Does that help?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is a good reason for this- and it is correct.

Ford has a 8year 100K mile warranty, they are interested to ensure that there will be at least 70% capacity at the end of the warranty. LiPo batteries will last longer if they are not charged to full or drained to empty. This is why pack size is larger than is what is addressable/advertised-the engineers built in a buffer.

So when you charge a MachE to “100%”, that is not 100% of the total battery capacity. This is why the advertised capacity of an extended range pack is 91kW but it actually is 99kWh (possibly 98).

When a pack is at “100% SOC on the car, the actual pack charge is less. So the Pack shows you have 84%, but the actual pack has 80.8%.

Does that help?
It does as I was aware of it but I just ran some numbers

a 3.2 % (.84-.808) difference is about 3 Kw on 98 total

Car Screen SOC reading of .84 of 88 available is 73.92 actual available
Car screen SOC reading of .84 of 91 available is 76.44 (I believe mine is 88)
OBD SOC reading is 74.59 energy to empty - close to 73.92 above so 88 available to me makes sense.

OBD SOC reading of .808 of 98 total battery is 79.18 - shouldn’t this number be about 74 KW as per OBD?

so, I am missing something ?

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

OBD SOC reading is 74.59 energy to empty - close to 73.92 above so 88 available to me makes sense.

OBD SOC reading of .808 of 98 total battery is 79.18 - shouldn’t this number be about 74 KW as per OBD?

The general idea is that. Not sure exactly how much the reserved on the top and bottom of the pack. The 2021 has the same battery capacity, but only enabled 88kWh for "use".

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag

Some SOC 411...

There are two SOC values reported on OBD, SOC = % of the whole pack, SOC Displayed is shown on the IPC and is % of useable energy, ie., not including the top and bottom buffer.

Energy-to-empty = how much is available until bottom buffer is reached and is temperature dependent. Battery has to be at 80-90F temp. to have its full energy potential.

I took a screen shot of Car Scanner after a recent charge to 95%. Actual SOC was 88.42% with E-to-E of 78.86 at 54F HVB temp..

If you do the math, that means my ER pack is capable of storing 83 kWh at that temp..

Hope this helps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Power-Up OTA Update Software 3.6.2 Screenshot_20230203_145224

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The general idea is that. Not sure exactly how much the reserved on the top and bottom of the pack. The 2021 has the same battery capacity, but only enabled 88kWh for "use".

How about if I explain it this way as I understand it (I have NO engineering documents for this car):

Since 100% SOC reported ≠ 100% actual SOC and 0 PAC≠ 0 SOC there would be be a cross over point where the reported SOC is the same as the actual pack SOC. I don't know where this occurs... Perhaps it is at the 50% SOC point or somewhere higher or lower...but I understand there is a reserve/buffer at both ends to protect the battery health. I plan to never charge or discharge my pack to those levels to find out, but I am sure someone on this list has figured all of this out with actual data.

So to state it differently: On a full pack, the reported SOC is a higher number (100%) than the actual pack SOC in percent (lets say it is 94%). On an empty pack the opposite is true. The reported SOC is lower (0%) than the actual pack SOC (let's say it is 3%). I am pulling those % numbers for the pack out of thin air, but I think it is likely something like this.

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
So jealous of all the folks that can just install this stuff so easy. My MME just must be cursed or something :-(

days and days of trying to get 362 to install and nothin.
Sorry to hear that. I dont know how 3.6.1 which is a inhibit update got installed but 3.6.2 is not being installed.
To be fair, it wasn't easy for MANY of us. We used this thread to work together to find out that the SOC requirement on the 12v battery is over 95% for 3.6.2, when it's only 80% for 3.6.1. That's why so many are having trouble with one and not the other.

It took me 2 weeks of failed installs on 3.6.2 to finally figure it out with the help of people here.

I highly suggest you just run your car for 3 hours in your driveway. Turn off the auto shutoff after 30 minutes setting. Turn off Welcome Lighting. Then try and run the update with the "UPDATE NOW" button.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

The battery is 99 KWh @ 20 C. Temperature will impact it and may have something to do with the numbers you are seeing. Battery age also what is your HVBSoH in OBD? Your 98 total number is not a constant.

74/79 * 99 = 93 KWh (93/99 94%). I make sure I have enough SOC to make it back ;).

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
To be fair, it wasn't easy for MANY of us. We used this thread to work together to find out that the SOC requirement on the 12v battery is over 95% for 3.6.2, when it's only 80% for 3.6.1. That's why so many are having trouble with one and not the other.

It took me 2 weeks of failed installs on 3.6.2 to finally figure it out with the help of people here.

I highly suggest you just run your car for 3 hours in your driveway. Turn off the auto shutoff after 30 minutes setting. Turn off Welcome Lighting. Then try and run the update with the "UPDATE NOW" button.
362 failed even with my LVB reporting over 95% via CarScanner. I’ve done everything except do a handstand and sing the star spangled banner at the same time…

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
362 failed even with my LVB reporting over 95% via CarScanner. I’ve done everything except do a handstand and sing the star spangled banner at the same time…
I looked, it looks like yours isn't going to work because I don't think your current APIM software supports inhibit mode. You'll have to have someone manually update with FDRS. It's not failing because of the 12V SoC in your case.
Sponsored