Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
One thing has nothing to do with the other. Hardware can software.

Honestly though, I am kinda shocked the software still sucks this much. They’ve had almost 2 years to get the bugs out and they seem just as frequent as a couple years ago (albeit slightly different bugs).

Like roaches, they squish one then 3 more crawl out.
Good value engineering, with appropriate attention to reviews from design to release is independent of hardware or software. It's a culture, one which Ford clearly didn't take seriously when developing this car. I'm sure this was the classic rush to market by "cash in their eyes" shit managers, the kind Scott Adams so brilliantly lampoons.

The reason I (mistakenly) waited to take the plunge on a BEV was that I wanted an experienced auto maker to bring their engineering and manufacturing disciplines to the extended range BEV market.

The fact that @Ford Motor Company has performed so poorly on such fundamental aspects of their engineered product, i.e. HVBJB contactors, and having to reboot the Synch console on every use, says there's a systemic failure in their value engineering culture.

Can I get from A to B? Sure, but no one driving an ICE Ford is wondering if they're going to be able to get back to A without a "stop safely now" message or having to reboot upon restart.

Shit engineering on all fronts.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Is it just me or is the way they write these OTA release notes super cringey? Like just tell us "updated range estimation calculation" and thats all we need. Not this weird as hell writing trying to be all happy and bubbly and cute/punny. Like just tell us what we need it's almost insulting like we're being treated like children. Maybe its just me.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The last power up (3.5.4) has broken my wireless connection to CarPlay, no have to reboot Synch 4 each time I start for work.
3.5.3 did this for me too. I have to manually connect wireless CarPlay every single time I get in the car. It is really frustrating. My truck doesn't have the issue with sync 4 nor does my 911...

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I no longer recall what 3.6.1 did or purported to do, but it didn't fix my Carplay issues. Those went south during one of the 3.5.x series of updates IIRC. A big problem with CarPlay and Android Auto is that both receive updates from their respective publishers regularly and some of those updates involve additional phone makers. I imagine trying to track down the offending code and getting it fixed is even more difficult than normal. Was it a change in spec for AA or CarPaly? Was it a phone OS bug? A FordPass bug? An MME OS bug?
Yeah, not surprised it didn't fix the issue, I was being naively optimistic after having had so many months of trouble free use. With a 30 min. commute CarPlay is de rigueur. Thankfully the reboot time is short compared to the commute.

As for the permutations, they should be running any new code through emulators with all the variations and making sure the dev community isn't compromising their system design, assuming that exists, or they should be jobbing this out to a company who knows how do this. This is really no more different than what Apple has to do for their Apple store for iOS/iPadOS code and apps, so the existence proof has been demonstrated.

vinnyz

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang mach e GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
3.5.3 did this for me too. I have to manually connect wireless CarPlay every single time I get in the car. It is really frustrating. My truck doesn't have the issue with sync 4 nor does my 911...
still on 3.5.3.3 weird how these ota updates work

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yeah, not surprised it didn't fix the issue, I was being naively optimistic after having had so many months of trouble free use. With a 30 min. commute CarPlay is de rigueur. Thankfully the reboot time is short compared to the commute.

As for the permutations, they should be running any new code through emulators with all the variations and making sure the dev community isn't compromising their system design, assuming that exists, or they should be jobbing this out to a company who knows how do this. This is really no more different than what Apple has to do for their Apple store for iOS/iPadOS code and apps, so the existence proof has been demonstrated.
FWIW, Ford has cars in their advanced analytics program specifically because of the recent CarPlay issues. They're getting a boatload of data.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
An easy fix is to just lie on the GOM.

Just because it’s -5 degrees outside, doesn’t mean your GOM should show less than full range. Ford could just claim ignorance. Maybe you’re driving to Florida…..
Yeah, but the other side of that coin which we've discussed before is that then people will be constantly disappointed. I guess setting the bar lower is better than setting it too high and not hitting it. (Teslas display the EPA range all the time).

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah, but the other side of that coin which we've discussed before is that then people will be constantly disappointed. I guess setting the bar lower is better than setting it too high and not hitting it. (Teslas display the EPA range all the time).
It doesn’t seem to be hurting Tesla sales.

Seems believing “the lie” is preferable to knowing the truth.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
It doesn’t seem to be hurting Tesla sales.

Seems believing “the lie” is preferable to knowing the truth.
I don't think either approach would hurt sales, since the marketing in both cases is based on EPA range. It's the after-the fact complaining that surfaces. In Ford's case, "Why does my car display too little range? Is my car a lemon?" or in Tesla's case, it's "Why is my car running out of range faster than the indicator shows? is my car a lemon?" (I've seen both types of posts on their respective forums)

canuck1975

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select MME with tech package - "Peggy"
Country flag
DM me your VIN and I'll tell you what's available. I wouldn't expect your dealer to send you home with a completely updated car though...there's no obligation on their part to pay the labor for the tech to do that.
Thanks for the offer but no need. I thought others might be interested to know if my dealer actually did go that extra step or not.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Good value engineering, with appropriate attention to reviews from design to release is independent of hardware or software. It's a culture, one which Ford clearly didn't take seriously when developing this car. I'm sure this was the classic rush to market by "cash in their eyes" shit managers, the kind Scott Adams so brilliantly lampoons.

The reason I (mistakenly) waited to take the plunge on a BEV was that I wanted an experienced auto maker to bring their engineering and manufacturing disciplines to the extended range BEV market.

The fact that @Ford Motor Company has performed so poorly on such fundamental aspects of their engineered product, i.e. HVBJB contactors, and having to reboot the Synch console on every use, says there's a systemic failure in their value engineering culture.

Can I get from A to B? Sure, but no one driving an ICE Ford is wondering if they're going to be able to get back to A without a "stop safely now" message or having to reboot upon restart.

Shit engineering on all fronts.
Reboot sync on every use? Seriously? I think I’ve manually rebooted Sync maybe 3 times in 22 months of ownership. I’d suggest taking your car to the dealer.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
FWIW, Ford has cars in their advanced analytics program specifically because of the recent CarPlay issues. They're getting a boatload of data.
CarPlay issues? Do tell!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Reboot sync on every use? Seriously? I think I’ve manually rebooted Sync maybe 3 times in 22 months of ownership. I’d suggest taking your car to the dealer.
I didn’t ever reboot sync until a few weeks ago. Now I do it daily. It’s the last update.

Carplay connecting issues and profile issues. It’s widespread.

No point in going to the dealer until there’s a “fix.” It’s all software related.

Although I’m hopeful after 3.6.2. I installed it last night and I’m up to 3 times in a row with no issues.

Sadly, 3x no issues is a recent record.