Ford Producing 1 million chips a week

tacobellcow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Ordered: '21 Select (Silver w/appearance pack)
Occupation
Advertising Sales
Country flag
I called Ford Customer service today to get information on my Mach E order and the representative told me that the chip shortage is getting better. She said Ford is producing 1 million chips a week. (Those are her words not mine). She said the average wait time for any vehicle order is about 8-12 weeks, but because of the chip shortage that it is about double that. I know people have been waiting MUCH longer for their vehicles, but if there truly is a 16-24 week range now, that would be great news for many people on this thread.
Sponsored

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
I called Ford Customer service today to get information on my Mach E order and the representative told me that the chip shortage is getting better. She said Ford is producing 1 million chips a week. (Those are her words not mine). She said the average wait time for any vehicle order is about 8-12 weeks, but because of the chip shortage that it is about double that. I know people have been waiting MUCH longer for their vehicles, but if there truly is a 16-24 week range now, that would be great news for many people on this thread.
Don't drink the tea !

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a moch e GT on order. My dealer website showed that it was in stock at the dealer due to some kind of glitch between Ford and the dealer my car is in production. It's awaiting technology chips etc. to finish the vehicle. Talk to the dealership owner and it's looking like September before the car arrives so it's probably going to be mid August before GT start popping up.

SONEWBE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When did Ford build a semiconductor fab?

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
When did Ford build a semiconductor fab?
Yeah wtf is that lady talking about? Also even if they had the capability to make their own chips, 4 million per month? They'd be selling chips to other car manufacturers at that point and the entire Ford production line would be completely caught up.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Ford Producing 1 million chips a week
Come on guys. ;)

Apple recently announced that it is producing about 75 million phones a year.

Do you think that Apple is actually producing those phones?

How much of the Iphone is made by Apple?

Apple has maintained a production level of about 75 million devices from the product's launch to the end of the year, Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the matter. Now, the company reportedly is seeking as many as 90 million of its new iPhones.5 days ago
Where is the Apple Iphone produced?

The manufacture of iPhone mostly takes place in East and Southeast Asia, where the labor force is cheap and abundant. China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia are the main countries that bear those characteristics and participate in the manufacture of iPhone.
TOKYO -- Renesas Electronics expects to restore full production capacity at a key semiconductor factory by the end of June following a fire there three months ago, though how quickly the automotive supplier can bring shipments back up to speed remains unclear.

Renesas supplies about two-thirds of the auto industry's chips, including nine top-tier parts makers for Ford, Farley said.May 2, 2021

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Come on guys. ;)

Apple recently announced that it is producing about 75 million phones a year.

Do you think that Apple is actually producing those phones?
I can't tell 100% if you're being serious or not. Ford sales in April was just under 200,000 cars, but somehow they're 'producing' 4,000,000 chips per month?

Let's put aside them producing it or not producing it, the statement is ridiculous as a whole. Even if they 'ordered' 4 million chips that really doesn't mean anything since they won't be getting 4 million chips.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
I can't tell 100% if you're being serious or not. Ford sales in April was just under 200,000 cars, but somehow they're 'producing' 4,000,000 chips per month?
Well, you tell me. How many chips a month do Ford parts suppliers need to provide?

4,000,000 a month is a drop in the bucket, probably just enough to finish already built vehicles.

The Renesas fire, along with a widespread power outage in the U.S. state of Texas, exacerbated the global chip shortage that began in late 2020 and has hampered many industries. The automotive sector in particular was hit early and hard, since a car requires roughly 1,400 semiconductors to make.
200,000 x 1,400= 280,000,000. That is the problem.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Well, you tell me. How many chips a month do Ford parts suppliers need to provide?

4,000,000 a month is a drop in the bucket, probably just enough to finish already built vehicles.

200,000 x 1,400= 280,000,000. That is the problem.
True, I guess it just seems like the only thing you ever hear about is the CPU for the main system and not anything else. Although I'd still be curious where the other 1399 conductors are going.

Then as a counter argument (like you mentioned), the 4,000,000 coming to Ford per month will barely do anything to the current orders and everything will basically stay the way it is.

OP
OP

tacobellcow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Ordered: '21 Select (Silver w/appearance pack)
Occupation
Advertising Sales
Country flag
I'm glad someone figured out the reason why the number was so high. The woman said the number so matter a factly that she either sold me or was saying the PR approved line. At the end of the day, it is good that they have some production.

Jimct

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Kona EV, Mustang Mach e ordered 4/8/21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In today's news: "Ford is considering shipping incomplete F-150 trucks to dealers to help keep its manufacturing operations running" due to the chip shortage. If that's considered "getting better" I'm about to give up hope on my order.
Sponsored