John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD 2017Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Occupation
Retired Software Developer
Country flag
Most of our day-to-day driving is on city streets, but I like the convenience of hands-free on longer trips. $200/year seems like a reasonable enough option for BC 1.2 (if that's ever pushed out to the 2021 model year) for our use-case, but I can't imagine anyone knowingly paying $800/yr for this "convenience."

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I wonder if there is a less bulky alternative. A piece of velcro slightly tightened around the wheel?
The sensor detects torque - twisting - on the wheel. Not pressure. A light ankle weight strapped slightly off-center applies just enough torque without causing the car to actually turn.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Other than the hands free part, do you guys noticed any difference in performance between the two?
None whatsoever. BC1.2 adds a few things line lane change assist, but that’s pretty pointless IMO. BC1.0 only swaps the eye sensor for hand sensor. There is no difference in performance.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The sensor detects torque - twisting - on the wheel. Not pressure. A light ankle weight strapped slightly off-center applies just enough torque without causing the car to actually turn.
Question about this hack: when BC suddenly loses sight of the lane markers and disengages, normally you get an urgent audible alert with a big red message telling you to take control immediately and then it disengages lane centering entirely. But if the car thinks you already have control (because of the steering wheel weight), does it still provide this alert?

RonOinAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Premium 4X
Country flag
I don't remember the last time I even used BlueCruise. I enjoy driving the car myself. When I bought the car I figured I'd probably be willing to pay the $600 for a 3-year BC renewal, just on the odd chance I wanted to use it sometimes, but certainly not more than that. Ford doesn't want your loyalty; they want your money.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Well it has been a few years but since I stopped flying I was a trial attorney doing plaintiff's personal injury work and I would sure as help have taken a case where the accident was due to the failure of the manufacturer, say Boeing or Airbus, failing to keep its equipment current with software updates: Think of the 737 Max, lol
Great points. I was actually going to bring up the 737-MAX as well, and the current issue with Boeing and Airbus aircraft owned by Russia. My thought was an operator not purchasing maintenance and software offered by the manufacturer.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The new fee is not for software updates. The car software will be updated even without this service
Are you saying that BlueCruise software in vehicles that don’t subscribe to BlueCruise will continue to be updated? If so, do you happen to have a source for that?

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Question about this hack: when BC suddenly loses sight of the lane markers and disengages, normally you get an urgent audible alert with a big red message telling you to take control immediately and then it disengages lane centering entirely. But if the car thinks you already have control (because of the steering wheel weight), does it still provide this alert?
You’ll get the “Cancelled” ding rather than the full urgent alert.

If you use a weight you better be paying attention for when the lines disappear and be ready for it.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
For software updates, Boeing and Airbus do charge for that. However, it usually isn't mandatory. I was an Air Force pilot for 20 years, now flying for a major airline. What they charge for is navigation database updates, terrain database updates, etc., very similar to a car navigation update you pay for.

Blue cruise is equivalent to an aircraft autopilot. Not as advanced as the one on my B767 that can land itself and stop all by itself mind you. However Boeing does not charge a fee to use that autopilot and self landing feature.

I can stomach a software upgrade fee going from BC 1.2 to 1.3 if I desire, but not a subscription service. Since I have a 21 F150 and a 23 Mach E, that’s $1600/year for both vehicles. Sorry Ford, not paying that!!!
Boeing does not charge for maintenance software updates of that system on their aircraft? I did not know that. I used to work for a fairly large DoD contractor that made some of the most popular (and advanced) fighters for the USAF (they also have a side business in FMS for popular international versions of their aircraft). I can tell you with absolute, 100% certainty that the customers PAY for every approved change to those aircraft. You’d be amazed at how profitable maintaining them are. The model may be different for commercial aircraft - my former employer hasn’t made a commercial airliner in a LONG time 😀

Last edited:

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Are you saying that BlueCruise software in vehicles that don’t subscribe to BlueCruise will continue to be updated? If so, do you happen to have a source for that?
Blue Cruise is just a name. In reality it is ADAS software with a turned on additional features (eye nanny, hd map). Of course that software will be updated, however the blue cruise features would stay turned off.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Like many others, I’ll pay $600 for three years for my 21J1, but after that, I’m out. That pricing is ridiculous for what then would be five year old tech from when I bought it, which is already years older than that.

This is a poor excuse for a cash grab.

echeck

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Country flag
I just bought my 2023 GT in January, so I have BC until 2026. This past weekend I drove 1600 miles round trip from Maryland to Georgia, and having BC was a game changer for a long road trip. It was absolutely phenomenal. I also use it for about 30% of my daily commute.

In short, I absolutely love Blue Cruise.

But I will NEVER pay $800/yr for this. Swing and a miss, @Ford Motor Company

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Boeing does not charge for maintenance software updates of that system on the heir aircraft? I did not know that. I used to work for a fairly large DoD contractor that made some of the most popular (and advanced) fighters for the USAF (they also have a side business in FMS for popular international versions of their aircraft). I can tell you with absolute, 100% certainty that the customers PAY for every approved change to those aircraft. You’d be amazed at how profitable maintaining them are. The model may be different for commercial aircraft - my former employer hasn’t made a commercial airliner in a LONG time 😀
Boeing and Airbus do have maintenance contracts covering routine and or non routine maintenance and they’re very lucrative. Software update wise where they make their money is in navigation updates. When it comes to systems, things are somewhat etched in stone for the most part. System updates tend to be fewer and in response to an issue that arose long after the aircraft left the factory and may be thought of similar to a car’s recall.

mu5e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
For 2023 models, where BC is included, how long is it good for?
Sponsored