jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Yes.....LG is making batteries for at least two years in Poland.
Meantime, feeding us with a teaspoon or little bit at a time, to keep us all interested and hungry for more.
I hate disappointments though.!!!!!
Speaking of teaspoons.... The Mustang Mach-E uses a floor-mounted battery pack comprised of pouch-type cells supplied by LG Chem that will be shared with the upcoming electric F-150 and Transit van

Note: LG is not making the batteries, but only the battery cells.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Some are speculating that, but I don't think anything has been clarified one way or the other by Ford.

EA's discounted plan costs $4/mo. If Ford throws that in for 2 years as a perk, that's about $100.
Audi is giving owners 1000kWh of EA charging per year for four years.
Porsche gets three years of free charging.
VW will do the something similar, I bet, since EA is owned by VAG.

Since Ford and VW are buddy-buddy with partnerships in EVs, autonomy and DC Fast Charging stations with Ionity, I wonder if we might be lucky beyond a $4/mo membership plan?

Last edited:

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Speaking of teaspoons.... The Mustang Mach-E uses a floor-mounted battery pack comprised of pouch-type cells supplied by LG Chem that will be shared with the upcoming electric F-150 and Transit van

I don't doubt what you said. Hope the battery pack is tested and performing well for the vehicle's release. According to a release from Ford, a vendor has been contracted to make structural parts of the floor mounted battery pack. As long as they have the process running smoothly there is nothing for the rest of us to worry but wait for the vehicles to come out. Like I posted earlier, most of us don't like disappointments. They may be few or maybe none. Will see.!!!!
I have a feeling though most of us will be pleasantly surprised when we get this vehicle in our possession.

2021 Mach-E Order Numbers List 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The semantics can get a little confusing. If one is being technically correct, the cells are batteries. Rivian even includes a flashlight using a solo battery like the the ones that power the vehicle.

Then they go into a pack that houses the batteries. But yeah, for shorthand we often just refer to the battery pack as the car's "battery".

Reactions: UW2

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Audi is giving owners 1000kWh of EA charging per year for four years.
Porsche gets three years of free charging.
VW will do the something similar, I bet, since EA is owned by VAG.

Since Ford and VW are buddy-buddy with partnerships in EVs, autonomy and DC Fast Charging stations with Ionity, I wonder if we might be lucky beyond a $4/mo membership plan?
It's always possible they could add that as an additional perk, especially if sales demand is weak for the Mach-e. But if demand is strong, it would surprise me if they'd up the deal if they don't need to to move the vehicle.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's always possible they could add that as an additional perk, especially if sales demand is weak for the Mach-e. But if demand is strong, it would surprise me if they'd up the deal if they don't need to to move the vehicle.
You could actually flip that on its head and use it as a doorbuster sales tactic. Bundle say 500-1000kWh of charging for three years to goose sales out of the gate to really get the ball rolling.

Considering Ford spends like $2.3B per year on advertising and Ford knows that Tesla killed it early on offering free charging for their cars with ZERO advertising, it could be a very good ROI to spur sales.

I'm just speculating, but if Ford has studied Tesla closely, then perhaps Ford will remove a criticism we have about the price of charging on EA.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You could actually flip that on its head and use it as a doorbuster sales tactic. Bundle say 500-1000kWh of charging for three years to goose sales out of the gate to really get the ball rolling.
Which is why they would have said something about it at the reveal or since. The fact that they haven't mentioned it leads me to believe they will only do it if they absolutely have to. The Mach-E I am planning to buy is only $45000 MSRP, which is a whole different price bracket than the cars mentioned. I do not expect or even hope to get some free charging, and I am OK with that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Considering Ford spends like $2.3B per year on advertising and Ford knows that Tesla killed it early on offering free charging for their cars with ZERO advertising, it could be a very good ROI to spur sales.

I'm just speculating, but if Ford has studied Tesla closely, then perhaps Ford will remove a criticism we have about the price of charging on EA.
Since the supply of MMEs is limited to 50,000 for the 2021 model year (probably around half that in the US), that will likely be the benchmark they'll measure demand against, and determine whether they feel like they need to give away more perks to boost sales.

My guess is that they won't need to. With what appears to be something in the neighborhood of 35,000 advanced reservations, demand appears to be plenty sufficient to move all 50,000. Just my speculation, anyway.

Keep in mind too that unlike Tesla, Ford is perfectly happy to sell people an ICE vehicle if they decide not to buy the MME. So it's not necessarily in their best interests to give a lot away. Tesla had to push people into BEVs, since that's all they made. Ford doesn't.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do not expect or even hope to get some free charging, and I am OK with that.
And I suspect most customers won't even need public charging (or very little), thus it's not as enticing of a perk as it might appear on the surface.

As people learn more about the practicalities of BEVs, I think most mainstream customers will be those that will be charging at home and don't expect to use it on long road trips. In other words, almost entirely in situations where they DON'T need public charging.

IMO, the cost of public charging is only #3 on the list of negatives to public charging. #1 and #2 are all the wasted time it takes to charge, and the sparseness/dependability of charging stations. Those are the overriding reasons most (not all, but most) mainstream consumers will only buy a BEV for home charging use. Usually with a 2nd ICE car in the household.

ZSR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-3 estate 280pk
Country flag
Our company ordered some premiums, and was ‘ promised ’ by Ford that they will be delivered around nov 30th 2020. Here in holland cars sold in 2021 will be taxed 33% more. So people REALY want them in 2020. So maybe some US FE are pushed aside for some European countries Premiums. (Ford needs to sell a bunch EV’s to avoid penalties over 2020 to compensate for not so co2 friendly sales)

ZSR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-3 estate 280pk
Country flag
Our company ordered some premiums, and was ‘ promised ’ by Ford that they will be delivered around nov 30th 2020. Here in holland cars sold in 2021 will be taxed 33% more. So people REALY want them in 2020. So maybe some US FE are pushed aside for some European countries Premiums. (Ford needs to sell a bunch EV’s to avoid penalties over 2020 to compensate for not so co2 friendly sales)
To explain the 33%; that’s the hike on the amount one has to add towards once income which then gets taxed..(silly Dutch law when you ‘get’ a car from your company (it’s seen as some kind of salary)

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I would guess that the FE all get made first, that is what we've heard. Ford has said the premium would be late 2020 just like the FE. So I don't think any FE would get 'pushed' in favor of premium. It sounds reasonable to have all the FE delivered in November and premiums to start in December.

Petter

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit (2017), Mustang Mach-E, FE (2021)
Occupation
Media manager/editor
Country flag
they've already stated that battery supply is the bottleneck
As I understand it, production of the Mustang Mach-E in 2020 is Limited to 50.000 because of battery supply, meaning that Ford expect to be able to have enough batteries coming in for such an amount of cars. Keep in mind also that Ford will need to sell plenty of this car in Europe this calendar year to avoid huge emission fines.
Sponsored