orolo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Country flag
OK, I have just finished reading all 33 pages of this thread. My eyes are kind of glazed over....

My build week was scheduled for 01/31/21. It has not changed and I have not received any Ford e-mail.

I only have one question:

Are they still producing cars at the plant or has the line been idled?

If the cars are still in production, then I would have to assume the problem has been corrected. It would make no sense to keep producing a product they know would need correction later.

However, if the production has been stopped, the problem must be larger than anyone is willing to admit.

Buy everyone knows the problem with the word assume.....

I hope this is not a silly question or that it was already answered and I missed it!

Jim
Mine just showed a production date in the tracker on this site today, so looks like production hasn't stopped.

Screenshot 2021-01-16 113347.jpg
Sponsored

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
What I think I know from talking to my dealer, reading this forum, and the Elektric article:
  • Ford emailed all affected customers - takeaway - no email no issue
  • Ford note to dealerships indicates several hundred MME of various build, built before first shipments (OKTB), are being detained for "additional quality checks."
  • Line is still producing - takeaway - Issue resolved
  • ISSUE - god only knows but, it was "fixed" after OKTB. And Ford probably will never admit to anything.

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I’m not thinking the delay estimate of 7 weeks is likely to shorten by much. My ship date was Jan 5th and ETA was Jan 28th. That’s 23 days of transport or 3 weeks. Since mine was already in transit I’m guessing it will be travelling to a location where it can get turned around then ship back, so maybe 3 weeks to get back to factory, then 1 to 2 weeks to fix, then 3 weeks to ship again. My new date is March 24th so it sounds about right to me. I’m hoping however it’s less time to turn around and get back to the factory, hoping the repair is quick or at least I’m near the front of the hundreds of car line up, and I’m hoping the final shipping to me will be quicker but I doubt it.
I’m very disappointed but oh well.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
I've reached a bad place where this forum has become my sole source of entertainment. ?
You, sir, are obviously suffering from post COVID delusional thought processes. I would say more but I have a date with a lady I think is Lucille Ball....or was that Elvis Presley.....Hell I can't even remember.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’m not thinking the delay estimate of 7 weeks is likely to shorten by much. My ship date was Jan 5th and ETA was Jan 28th. That’s 23 days of transport or 3 weeks. Since mine was already in transit I’m guessing it will be travelling to a location where it can get turned around then ship back, so maybe 3 weeks to get back to factory, then 1 to 2 weeks to fix, then 3 weeks to ship again. My new date is March 24th so it sounds about right to me. I’m hoping however it’s less time to turn around and get back to the factory, hoping the repair is quick or at least I’m near the front of the hundreds of car line up, and I’m hoping the final shipping to me will be quicker but I doubt it.
I’m very disappointed but oh well.
I wouldn't assume a return trip to the factory is happening here. This is likely on-site inspections and, if necessary, on-site fixes. Could even be software updates only (although no one knows yet). Even if physical changes are needed for any of these vehicles, Ford has plants and personnel across the country and would likely implement any necessary updates without having to move the vehicles (or at least not move them a long distance).

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
I would hope a large discount would be given if our cars are being "repaired" in the field by folks where this is their first time working on this all new EV?? New car price should be new car, not "refurbished".

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
The 30-60 day estimate is to me just an estimate with a big buffer. Just like last week when I ordered something from Amazon. On the day it was to be delivered, I got an email from Amazon saying it was delayed and if I didn't receive it in a week, I could ask for a refund. And then it arrived the very next day. I know it is a completely different situation, but I think the reset of delivery dates is just a default buffer Ford put in there. Sure, their QC check could mean something has to be fixed or updated and that might require more time. Or, they could do their checks and they are on their way after a few days delay. Or they could be lying and they are having a major issue. Only time will tell.
never under estimate business people making up time frames. I get asked for an ETA all the time on bugs. "I have to find out what is wrong with it first" "Give me a ballpark?" "4 days maybe" "3 hours great!"

• Haha
Reactions: ARK

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Congratulations to timbop and kgautam28. But you realize your pouring salt in wounds by posting that to this thread, right?
Not trying to rub salt in anyone's wound at all. Just pointing out that the press release is probably correct, and that the issue only affects cars built before a certain date. It also seems significant that the factory and movement of cars out of the plant are continuing.

I was OK with all of you saying that your deliveries were scheduled for early January when I didn't even have a build date yet.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I would hope a large discount would be given if our cars are being "repaired" in the field by folks where this is their first time working on this all new EV?? New car price should be new car, not "refurbished".
It isn't "refurbished", Ford is fixing the vehicle while they still have ownership of it. Even if it repairs are made after you own the vehicle, they aren't going to refund part of your money. If you are uncomfortable taking delivery of a vehicle that has been repaired outside of the factory, then your best bet would be to reject delivery and place another order. Lots of cars are repaired in port for a multitude of reasons including body damage and are sold as new...this is no different.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
But my impression of Toyota, as well as the car, is forever tainted because of it.
This was something large enough to stop those cars and make sure it is is not as serious as whoever found the problem thinks it could be ultimately. But was something big enough on the surface to have a lawyer go, you create liability by letting this go forward knowing the potential consequences.
Here's the problem with "full disclosure" of what's going on: Whatever the issue is, there will forever be an air of doubt about that particular subsystem or function. If Ford comes out and says "yes, the first 400 off the line had a problem with the warp drive power switch, but all subsequent models don't". Guess what: now everyone is obsessed with the warp drive switch, and what if you can't turn it off, or what if it overheats and blows the ship up! oh no, we can't ever trust a warpdrive from Ford".

As evidenced by this admission that the parts are unrelated, but somehow it doesn't matter that Ford doesn't actually build the batteries:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford sends mass Mach-E delivery delay emails [Updated with Ford's response] Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 3.31.17 PM

Then the same unfounded concern gets parroted forever:
I am betting on the European Kuga PHEV fire issue that was related to the battery cells contamination via faulty factory production. Ford is awaiting for new battery packs to install before releasing to retail customers. This would play correctly into the time frame of 7 weeks+ delay and...

Last edited:

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
They found something wrong. They are implementing a fix before delivery. I see this as a positive.

Most of the time, you would have received the car and the maker would have issued a recall or TSB to fix it under warranty. And some manufacturers would never have fixed the issue and denied responsibility.

My best guess is that since the number of affected vehicles is limited they can fix it quickly before delivery. Then they have to back to their line and fix it in the vehicles to be built and that must be taking time. Could they be waiting for a revised component from a supplier? I dunno.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
7 weeks to complete a "double check" on "some" of the early builds? Don't believe it.
NO. seven weeks is a worst case scenario to move the cars back to a central point like KC, get checked out and fixed if necessary, and then sent back out. It's a case of logistics: they cannot schedule technicians, tools, and any parts to go all over the place.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
move the cars back to a central point like KC, get checked out and fixed if necessary, and then sent back out. It's a case of logistics:
That is a lot of loading, unloading, truckers in and out of cars, parking, workers in and out, etc. Anyone else concerned about rubs, scratches, rim rash, etc?
Sponsored