Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And Detroit is now shut down:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...-united-states-auto-manufacturing/2863150001/

Ford Press Release:

Ford Reduces North America Production to Help Keep Workforce Safe, Boosting Coronavirus Containment Efforts
  • Production at Ford’s U.S., Canadian and Mexican manufacturing facilities will be halted after Thursday evening’s shifts through March 30 to thoroughly clean and sanitize the company’s plants
  • UAW and Ford leaders will work together on how to best structure plant restart plans – along with health and safety procedures aimed at helping keep the workforce safe
  • Ford is taking additional production-related actions as the American government restricts travel and personal contact, affecting vehicle sales and component suppliers throughout the country. Pandemic conditions, national restrictions, supplier constraints and dealer stock requirements will be continually re-evaluated
DEARBORN, Mich., March 18, 2020 – Following Thursday evening shifts, Ford is temporarily suspending production at its manufacturing sites in North America through March 30 to thoroughly clean its facilities to protect its workforce and boost containment efforts for the COVID-19 coronavirus.

“We’re continuing to work closely with union leaders, especially the United Auto Workers, to find ways to help keep our workforce healthy and safe – even as we look at solutions for continuing to provide the vehicles customers really want and need,” said Kumar Galhotra, Ford’s president of North America. “In these unprecedented times, we’re exploring unique and creative solutions to support our workforce, customers, dealers, suppliers and communities.”

UAW and Ford leaders will work together in the coming weeks on plant restart plans as well as exploring additional protocols and procedures for helping prevent the spread of the virus. Chief among them: finding ways to maximize social distancing among plant workers – both during work hours and at shift change, when large numbers of people typically gather at entry and exit points and maximizing cleaning times between shift changes.

“Today’s action is the prudent thing to do. By taking a shutdown and working through next steps, we protect UAW members, their families and the community,” said Rory Gamble, president of the UAW. “We have time to review best practices when the plants reopen, and we prevent the possible spread of this pandemic. We commend Ford for working with us and taking this bold step.”

Ford temporarily closed Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP) final assembly building this morning after an employee tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus and is thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the building, as promised as part of the company’s coronavirus emergency response protocol. MAP will halt production through March 30.

In addition, the company will instruct people who have had direct contact with that infected employee to self-quarantine and get medical attention. Those who have had close contact to those who have had direct contact are asked watch for symptoms and seek medical attention if they feel unwell.

The move to temporarily close plants follows Sunday’s news that Ford leaders are forming a Coronavirus Task Force along with UAW, General Motors Co. and Fiat Chrysler leaders to implement enhanced protections for manufacturing and warehouse employees at all three companies. Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford and President and CEO Jim Hackett, UAW President Rory Gamble, GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra, and FCA CEO Michael Manley are leading the task force. The three companies formed a similar task force in Canada.

“Together, we’ll continue finding solutions and best practices that help keep workers at our plants and parts distribution centers healthy and safe throughout our operations,” said Gary Johnson, chief manufacturing and labor affairs officer.

In addition, Ford vehicle manufacturing sites in Cologne and Saarlouis in Germany, together with the Craiova facility in Romania, will temporarily halt production starting Thursday. Ford’s Valencia assembly and engine facility in Spain already temporarily halted production from Monday, after three workers were confirmed with coronavirus over the past weekend.

On Monday, Ford asked all salaried employees – except those performing business critical roles that can’t be done off site – to work remotely until further notice.

“Especially in these challenging times, we must continue working together and putting people first,” Galhotra said.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ca-production-to-help-keep-workforce-saf.html
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
So since there was no mention of Mexico does that mean MME production is relatively unaffected (for now)?
??
"Production at Ford’s U.S., Canadian and Mexican manufacturing facilities will be halted after Thursday evening’s shifts through March 30 to thoroughly clean and sanitize the company’s plants"

Reactions: UW2

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So since there was no mention of Mexico does that mean MME production is relatively unaffected (for now)?
Mexican plants are included, see first bullet point.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Apologies started reading after the bullets for some reason.

4pac

First Name
Sphen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE/TeslaY
Country flag
im going to have to fully accept the fact im not getting a car this year...and probably not early next year either. Damn.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
im going to have to fully accept the fact im not getting a car this year...and probably not early next year either. Damn.
Whoa, I think you are getting way ahead of the curve ball here.
Just because Ford is temporarily shutting down their existing production lines now does not mean it will have a major effect on the Mach-E production lines next OCT / NOV.

The actual bottle neck in Ford getting up to speed with large numbers of the Mach-E production is dependent on the new LG Chem battery plant in Wroclow, Poland and I have not seen any info they are behind schedule.

In the mean time, I am sure the Mach-E Ford teams will continue to work on and refine the complex new software required here and setting up it's production line.

The crazy hysteria over a hundred or so corona virus deaths of mostly elderly with other medical issues just amazes me. Every year we have 30,000 or so deaths from the "normal Flu" and a lot of them not elderly and it gets almost zero coverage.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Whoa, I think you are getting way ahead of the curve ball here.
Just because Ford is temporarily shutting down their existing production lines now does not mean it will have a major effect on the Mach-E production lines next OCT / NOV.

The actual bottle neck in Ford getting up to speed with large numbers of the Mach-E production is dependent on the new LG Chem battery plant in Wroclow, Poland and I have not seen any info they are behind schedule.

In the mean time, I am sure the Mach-E Ford teams will continue to work on and refine the complex new software required here and setting up it's production line.

The crazy hysteria over a hundred or so corona virus deaths of mostly elderly with other medical issues just amazes me. Every year we have 30,000 or so deaths from the "normal Flu" and a lot of them not elderly and it gets almost zero coverage.
I agree. It's a little early to declare any big delay, but it is not looking like it's going in a good direction.

I also think this reaction has been way overblown. Everyone seems to know the "at risk" groups. I wouldn't think shutting down the economy is the only way to protect those groups. South Korea seems to be doing reasonably well after a significant outbreak without shutting down their economy. Maybe something to learn there?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
My understanding is the desire is to slow the spread to prevent at risk folks from being exposed. No one has immunity like large populations do against the flu. Also we don't want the health care system over burdened.

I do wonder if the damage to the economy (and further erosion of our liberty) are far worse outcomes.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer