Ford to Offer Complimentary Tesla Supercharger Adapter to Eligible Mach-E Owners (1/31/24 Update)

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
7. Ford hasn't updated the car yet but Tesla allows Ford vehicles to access their network via the Tesla app and payment process.

That option doesn't require Ford to do anything, as it is very similar to how the Magic Docs work. If I were to place a bet, it would be option 7 initially, and then P&C via FordPass when Ford finally gets the update pushed to my car.
My guess is that the delay (from the original announcement) is about getting Ford and Tesla's systems integrated so Ford isn't handing over their customer info to Tesla.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
My guess is that the delay (from the original announcement) is about getting Ford and Tesla's systems integrated so Ford isn't handing over their customer info to Tesla.
IMO we don't need them to integrate the systems for us to use the SC network. We just need Tesla to allow our VINs to be used to create a Tesla account and set up payment options.

The integration is required for us to P&C, and for FordPass to be used as the payment method. Which obviously Ford is highly motivated to provide, as I am sure there is revenue for Ford they can realize when people pay with their Ford account.

This is all conjecture on my part.

IMO Ford should send out the adapters as soon as they are ready, regardless of whether or not the network integration has been completed or not.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
IMO we don't need them to integrate the systems for us to use the SC network. We just need Tesla to allow our VINs to be used to create a Tesla account and set up payment options.
You can already do that - it’s how Magic Dock works.

The integration is required for us to P&C, and for FordPass to be used as the payment method. Which obviously Ford is highly motivated to provide, as I am sure there is revenue for Ford they can realize when people pay with their Ford account.
P&C protocol between the car and Ford’s backend is already there. It’s the Ford <-> Tesla integration that’s new. I highly doubt any changes to car software will be required.

This is all conjecture on my part. Mine as well. 😂

IMO Ford should send out the adapters as soon as they are ready, regardless of whether or not the network integration has been completed or not. 👍

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.👍

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They over speak CCS but that doesn’t mean that our cars will speak to Tesla without actual software changes, pushed to the car, and FordPass.

I fully expect a bunch of adapters to go out, soon. And then sit in the box after a bunch of people attempt to use them and the car doesn’t talk to Tesla.

The possibilities as I see it.
1. All cars get updated so the adapter works (I’d see that happening in 2025 when NACS IS the charge port, in the mean time we’re ‘Soon’d along to the soothing sounds of soft jazz)
2. Some cars get updated via PU. No one knows what update actually enables it so everyone is still guessing as we continue to read about how they’re making it easier for us to get updates in the future.
3. The adapter triggers an update (unpossible with the way PU’s work)
4. Dealers have to FDRS the cars that are lucky enough to get the adapter. Fees and other shenanigans ensue.
5. Ford makes a backend change to allow FP/P&C to work. (Fixes most but lucky second hand owners get the continued second hand experience)
6. I continue to pre-activate whatever charger I need to via FP Maps. (As long as this works with the adapter I’m personally ok with it for me and my situation)
That's possible, but I'm not so sure it's as big of a lift as you're suggesting. I'm not even sure if the car itself needs updating. The Ford Pass database will, but that may just be a central update for all. The basic capability already exists. BOCN already has a number of networks in it, many having been added on the fly over the last 2 years. P&C capability already exist within the car software to push the VIN to the charger upon plug-in (in use now with EA). Seems like the changes needed will be on the server end, getting the central Ford database to interface with the central Tesla database.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

This is all conjecture on my part.

IMO Ford should send out the adapters as soon as they are ready, regardless of whether or not the network integration has been completed or not.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Yep, I had the same thought. But for all we know, integration of the Ford and Tesla database may already be complete. The adapters (and testing) may be the final piece, so it may just come all at once anyway.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Delay? What delay? Has Spring 2024 come and I missed it?

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
This made me wonder if the MY25 versions that will come with NACS natively will support Tesla destination chargers properly, along with superchargers. My understanding is the NACS to J1772 adapters that are sold right now have a little bit of hardware in them to trick the destination chargers to failover to the J1772 protocol, you have to plug the adapter into the charger and wait a little bit before you can then plug in to your car.

Has Ford and other OEMs thought of this when they're implementing the new port in their cars? Are they going to be testing with destination chargers to see if they're compatible? Would be quite frustrating to book a room at a hotel that has Tesla destination chargers with a NACS car only to find out it won't charge because of the communication protocol in the charger won't failover properly to the J1772 protocol.
I think you're overthinking this. AC charging in Tesla is J1772; there's no special hardware in the J1772 <--> Tesla adapters either. I've never followed the "wait for 30 seconds" instructions and it's always worked. The Tesla HPWC doesn't even acknowledge anything's been plugged into it until I plug the J1772 end into the car.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
@Maquis it seems like we are in full agreement. 👍

Now bring on the adapters!

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Is that the 1 more year of BC1.0? I don’t know what all Phil is responsible for these days. Ground hog of many hats and all. Ground hog supply chain issues.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
1. All cars get updated so the adapter works
But magicdock adapters already work. Why would we need more updates? Or are you just referring to not having to use the Tesla app (plug and charge)?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They over speak CCS but that doesn’t mean that our cars will speak to Tesla without actual software changes, pushed to the car, and FordPass.

I fully expect a bunch of adapters to go out, soon. And then sit in the box after a bunch of people attempt to use them and the car doesn’t talk to Tesla.

The possibilities as I see it.
1. All cars get updated so the adapter works (I’d see that happening in 2025 when NACS IS the charge port, in the mean time we’re ‘Soon’d along to the soothing sounds of soft jazz)
2. Some cars get updated via PU. No one knows what update actually enables it so everyone is still guessing as we continue to read about how they’re making it easier for us to get updates in the future.
3. The adapter triggers an update (unpossible with the way PU’s work)
4. Dealers have to FDRS the cars that are lucky enough to get the adapter. Fees and other shenanigans ensue.
5. Ford makes a backend change to allow FP/P&C to work. (Fixes most but lucky second hand owners get the continued second hand experience)
6. I continue to pre-activate whatever charger I need to via FP Maps. (As long as this works with the adapter I’m personally ok with it for me and my situation)
I have charged at a Tesla site with no software update, you are wrong in the way you see it. The only issue is payment authorization, which involves Ford servers talking to Tesla servers.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Is that the 1 more year of BC1.0? I don’t know what all Phil is responsible for these days. Ground hog of many hats and all. Ground hog supply chain issues.
Since you are in Arizona, set up a Tesla account, then go to 59th and Northern in Glendale and try it out. Your car, with no software modification will charge just fine. There are photos of Mach Es charging there on Plugshare.
Sponsored