Lukas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstek
Occupation
Actuary
Country flag
Full article at https://electrek.co/2020/04/27/excl...tless-test-drives-of-electric-mustang-mach-e/

Not sure why they went with that title since Kaufman doesn't talk about contactless test drives at all, but some interesting info from the article:
  • In “three to four weeks,” Ford will finalize the date in summer 2020 when reservations will be converted to orders.
  • In early March, when the pandemic’s impact was on the rise, Ford experienced an increase in cancellations for the Mustang Mach-E for about two weeks. It was one tiny little blip, and after that, there was no significant change.
  • About Mach-E test drives, Kaufman says
    • Test drives at the local dealerships are going to be a big part of that continued awareness and word of mouth for the product. We know that people just need to sit in the vehicle and test drive it. I’ll be shocked if anyone is not grinning ear to ear after a test drive.
    • We identified and reviewed the process of how to properly clean the vehicle with doctors and experts to make sure that we’re doing that properly.A lot of what we’re already doing internally for how to properly wipe down the vehicle will be used to make sure there are no concerns at all for test drives. And we’re going to do that in a way that is very safe for customers and our dealership employees.
  • Dealers are also preparing to make contactless deliveries of the Mach-E for those who elect to skip a test drive and take ownership immediately.
  • All 2,100 Ford dealerships will receive at least one long-term dedicated test-drive vehicle. These test models will arrive roughly at the same time that the first Mach-E models are delivered to customers in late 2020. And nearly at the same time, service and collision parts will be stocked for dealers.
  • Ford believes that it will have an EV expert at all of its dealerships.
Sponsored

Last edited:

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
  • In “three to four weeks,” Ford will finalize the date in summer 2020 when reservations will be converted to orders.
  • All 2,100 Ford dealerships will receive at least one long-term dedicated test-drive vehicle. These test models will arrive roughly at the same time that the first Mach-E models are delivered to customers in late 2020. And nearly at the same time, service and collision parts will be stocked for dealers.
Well, the first bullet confirms what was already known that May 11 for orders will be delayed.
The second bullet is surprising as I would've expected dealers to have test vehicles before customers start receiving deliveries. It sounds like the first adopters may not get to test drive until they are getting their delivery.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I'll take delivery whichever way is faster. If it's faster to go into the dealer to get it, then I'm doing that instead of contactless home delivery.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Well, the first bullet confirms what was already known that May 11 for orders will be delayed.
The second bullet is surprising as I would've expected dealers to have test vehicles before customers start receiving deliveries. It sounds like the first adopters may not get to test drive until they are getting their delivery.
This makes it look like the first test drive I get may be when my First Edition arrives. As long as I can still say no at that point if I find deal breakers then I guess I can live with that. However, I really thought we were supposed to have test drives well before first customer deliveries.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
This makes it look like the first test drive I get may be when my First Edition arrives. As long as I can still say no at that point if I find deal breakers then I guess I can live with that. However, I really thought we were supposed to have test drives well before first customer deliveries.
We were. I wonder if they shortened the time between dealer test-drive models and customer deliveries so that customer deliveries weren't pushed back into next year.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Full article at https://electrek.co/2020/04/27/excl...tless-test-drives-of-electric-mustang-mach-e/

Not sure why they went with that title since Kaufman doesn't talk about contactless test drives at all, but some interesting info from the article:

I wish that weren't so. It would be far better for the testers to arrive significantly ahead of the actual delivered cars. Wasn't that the plan at the beginning? So now we're expected to sign an order before even seeing the car? So the conversion from reservation to order has been moved back a season. I thought it was in the May timeframe that this was supposed to take place. I guess the delays were inevitable. But I can tell you this, there's no way I'm spending north of $56,000 for a vehicle I haven't seen, test driven or even sat in. Sorry, that's nuts in my book.

This is not good planning. It looks like my gut was right, I'm covering my bases after placing a deposit down on the Polestar. We shall see.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Keep in mind this guy is from marketing, so im not too wrapped up in the exact details of the dates.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
But I can tell you this, there's no way I'm spending north of $56,000 for a vehicle I haven't seen, test driven or even sat in. Sorry, that's nuts in my book.

This is not good planning. It looks like my gut was right, I'm covering my bases after placing a deposit down on the Polestar. We shall see.
Not ideal but, frankly, it's what I was contemplating when I put down a reservation hold on a Model 3 two years before delivery. I realized during that wait that the first time I might drive one was when I was testing my delivery. Frankly, I see the Ford product as a lower risk.
[But I still hold that, if a dealer demands that the deposit be non-refundable when converting to order, I shop around for another dealer.]

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-PACE SE, x-Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV and x-Tesla S owner
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, this will be a big surprise to my Dealer. The Fleet Mgr. told me earlier this month what I had been told earlier...that they would be getting an MME early to help train their Maintenance staff. That was the car that was meant to be used for test drives (for on order vehicles).

This is, to say the least, disappointing. I have to wait until just before accepting the car to actually see one and drive one. What a mistake! I don't know if I can be patient that long!

If this change is real, then there has to be a Covid-19 factor or something else causing it...like 1) simplifying the process because of worry about a second wave of virus; 2) needing to alter something in the cars that have already been manufactured...thus delaying them to go for maintenance training; 3) ?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Why can't you just return it before the 7 day return period, for a full refund? Isn't that what the return period is for? New car with new tech and no test drive would be nuts otherwise.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
What 7-day return period?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Why can't you just return it before the 7 day return period, for a full refund? Isn't that what the return period is for? New car with new tech and no test drive would be nuts otherwise.
Firstly, there is no return period after you sign the purchase order and/or financing contract at delivery. Secondly Ford has always said that you will have the opportunity to test drive before you take delivery.

Don’t confuse the order with Ford to produce the vehicle with the purchase order agreement between you and the dealer that you sign at delivery. Those are two different things.

Once you take delivery from the dealer that’s it. Done deal. Now, the dealer could out of the kindness of their heart agree to cancel the purchase, but they are not obligated to do so.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I think you’re confusing that with Tesla.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
The 7 day return thing is a Tesla thing.
Sponsored