Bekkis

First Name
Stig William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki s-cross now ordered the Mack e awd long range
Country flag
Well, the first bullet confirms what was already known that May 11 for orders will be delayed.
The second bullet is surprising as I would've expected dealers to have test vehicles before customers start receiving deliveries. It sounds like the first adopters may not get to test drive until they are getting their delivery.
It must be a possibility to return the vehicle if not satisfied with the performance and handling +seats and range.
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
It must be a possibility to return the vehicle if not satisfied with the performance and handling +seats and range.
In the US, I expect that folks will be able to get a refund if, upon test drive, one is not satisfied -- although whether the $500 deposit is refundable or not may depend on what was agreed upon with the dealer when placing the order.
The only real downside in those cases is having waited for a car until then when, if test drives were available sooner, one could go ahead with purchase of something else months earlier. . . but certainly not the end of the world.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
If by 'return the vehicle' you mean take it home and then after a few days bring it back for a refund, I'd say that's the least likely of any of the scenarios.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the US, I expect that folks will be able to get a refund if, upon test drive, one is not satisfied -- although whether the $500 deposit is refundable or not may depend on what was agreed upon with the dealer when placing the order.
The only real downside in those cases is having waited for a car until then when, if test drives were available sooner, one could go ahead with purchase of something else months earlier. . . but certainly not the end of the world.
It's always good to have a backup. ;)

Bekkis

First Name
Stig William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki s-cross now ordered the Mack e awd long range
Country flag
If by 'return the vehicle' you mean take it home and then after a few days bring it back for a refund, I'd say that's the least likely of any of the scenarios.
It’s the way Tesla does it. Seems to trust the car more then Ford then?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
although whether the $500 deposit is refundable or not may depend on what was agreed upon with the dealer when placing the order.
Just a technicality... The $500 reservation deposit we have with Ford now (in the US) is fully (and in fact automatically) refundable.

However, the dealer may want a deposit too when the order is placed. That could be a totally different amount and have totally different terms. It could even be that the dealer is able to transfer the Ford reservation deposit into a dealer order deposit (although I don't think we know that yet).

But technically they're different things.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A little unfair to hold Ford to that standard as Tesla is the only one that does it. I can't imagine Ford imposing that across the board as it has to deal with a dealer network.
And Tesla does it because they kinda have to when you rely on what's in effect the mail order model rather than the dealership model.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a technicality... The $500 reservation deposit we have with Ford now (in the US) is fully (and in fact automatically) refundable.

However, the dealer may want a deposit too when the order is placed. That could be a totally different amount and have totally different terms. It could even be that the dealer is able to transfer the Ford reservation deposit into a dealer order deposit (although I don't think we know that yet).

But technically they're different things.
Correct, which is why I wrote of the deposit with dealer when placing the order instead of the Ford reservation fee. I was focusing on the question of whether a deposit with dealer would be refundable or not, but you are correct that the dealer may or may not stick to the amount of $500.
I personally think that a dealer would have a hard time squeezing more in deposit from folks now given the economic situation (and folks maybe being more likely to drop reservations altogether) and given that folks like me are likely 12 months out from getting delivery of their GTs.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
And Tesla does it because they kinda have to when you rely on what's in effect the mail order model rather than the dealership model.
Yes, but in effect that is EXACTLY what is happening with the Mach-E: we are buying a yet-to-be-released product that not only have we never seen let alone touched, no one outside of the manufacturer has.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, but in effect that is EXACTLY what is happening with the Mach-E: we are buying a yet-to-be-released product that not only have we never seen let alone touched, no one outside of the manufacturer has.
True to a point, although I'd replace "buying" with "ordering" in that. How much of a "buying" commitment that is will depend on the terms of the order agreement. If we can get full order deposit refund after the test drive, I wouldn't really consider that buying yet.

But at minimum, it's a psychological commitment to a vehicle we haven't been able to test drive yet. Part of the price of wanting to be one of the first to get a brand new product. That all reverts to normal once they get some on the lots though.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You beat me to it. That’s the real reason Tesla does that. However, even when I bought my MS in 2017, that policy didn’t exist. So it’s relatively new.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You beat me to it. That’s the real reason Tesla does that. However, even when I bought my MS in 2017, that policy didn’t exist. So it’s relatively new.
I think it came into play when Tesla closed hundreds of its stores in early 2019 to cut costs, and instead focused on online sales without test drives.
Again, that's a difference with Ford, which isn't actually requiring that folks take cars without test driving first. In fact, it's only the very first wave of customers who won't be able to test drive before their delivery.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Again, that's a difference with Ford, which isn't actually requiring that folks take cars without test driving first.
We hope!

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
There is always another option. There is the very likely possibility that dealers will get 'customers' cars before they get their demo vehicles who have cancelled at the last minute. The dealer might then put that car on as a demo vehicle. When the proper demo arrives they could then sell the other vehicle on. Probably wouldn't make too much of a loss on it. When I ordered my current car Ford finance were offering 0% finance on it as long as it was registered before a specific date. I said to my dealer that I wouldn't be able to afford the car if we couldn't register it in time and he said not to worry, if it came after the date he wouldn't hold me to the order as he would not have a problem selling it on. If customers cars were delivered to dealers and they didn't like it I am sure there will plenty of people queueing up to buy it.
Sponsored