Bekkis

First Name
Stig William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki s-cross now ordered the Mack e awd long range
Country flag
There is always another option. There is the very likely possibility that dealers will get 'customers' cars before they get their demo vehicles who have cancelled at the last minute. The dealer might then put that car on as a demo vehicle. When the proper demo arrives they could then sell the other vehicle on. Probably wouldn't make too much of a loss on it. When I ordered my current car Ford finance were offering 0% finance on it as long as it was registered before a specific date. I said to my dealer that I wouldn't be able to afford the car if we couldn't register it in time and he said not to worry, if it came after the date he wouldn't hold me to the order as he would not have a problem selling it on. If customers cars were delivered to dealers and they didn't like it I am sure there will plenty of people queueing up to buy it.
I think that there will be many cancellations due to the corona situation. Many customers have lost jobs, and they are in a very uncertain situation. This will not pass before many 2022.
Therefore I believe that ford must adjust the contracts and make it possible to test drive before final payment. But weā€™ll see during the summer.
Sponsored

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
A little unfair to hold Ford to that standard as Tesla is the only one that does it. I can't imagine Ford imposing that across the board as it has to deal with a dealer network.
This is the most important differentiator. Tesla is selling you a car and they are the ones that would take the return. Ford is not selling you a car, and they would not take the return. The independent dealership would. Ford is likely unable to mandate that.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was contacted by my dealer after the first of the year, they sent me some information. Told me they would be calling about my reservation in a couple of months, then "shelter in place" took over. Will see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Bekkis

First Name
Stig William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki s-cross now ordered the Mack e awd long range
Country flag
Just a technicality... The $500 reservation deposit we have with Ford now (in the US) is fully (and in fact automatically) refundable.

However, the dealer may want a deposit too when the order is placed. That could be a totally different amount and have totally different terms. It could even be that the dealer is able to transfer the Ford reservation deposit into a dealer order deposit (although I don't think we know that yet).

But technically they're different things.
Will be no new deposit here in Norway when signing contracts.

RockDaphne98296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE, 2016 F-350 Super Duty XLT
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Country flag
.. So now we're expected to sign an order before even seeing the car? ...But I can tell you this, there's no way I'm spending north of $56,000 for a vehicle I haven't seen, test driven or even sat in. Sorry, that's nuts in my book.
I totally understand your point and I am almost there with you... but about buying a car I haven't even sat in, I am not sure if this totally counts, but I have done that and it was successful. To be fair, it was not an amazing new vehicle outside of what the car company had previously made, BUT I was in a bind (long story and insurance involved) and needed a new car. I loved my friends Volvo S60 and had ridden in it, but never driven it. Plus I wanted the wagon, so I called my USAA rep and they bought me a new Volvo XC70 while I was at work (had a client in town and couldn't break away), I sent my husband to pick it up. It was a complete game change for me - I went from driving a small four banger econo box to this cushy Volvo, but it was a great vehicle and I loved it so much I bought the new XC90 when it was time (years were 2000 and 2005). I was really nervous but I was familiar with the brand and there was a level of trust there.

I currently drive a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi and could only love it more if it was a full EV. We have owned over 4 Ford Trucks in the past 20 years, and love them too. I have brand trust when it comes to Ford. So, while I am a little nervous about this new full EV - both for me as it will be my first full EV but also for Ford as this is new for them (and I suspect way too early to have benefited from their partnership with Rivian) , the trust is what I lean on. I do agree that this is a lot of money and just like you said - anything too creepy in the order commitment paperwork will likely make me think again.

That being said - My brother is an automotive writer and was invited to the press release, the one where they took them on rides in the first Mach Es - he said it was a good car, and had unbelievable get up and go. I trust his opinion more than I trust my own, so maybe you could argue I have a little more than just brand trust...

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I totally understand your point and I am almost there with you... but about buying a car I haven't even sat in, I am not sure if this totally counts, but I have done that and it was successful. To be fair, it was not an amazing new vehicle outside of what the car company had previously made, BUT I was in a bind (long story and insurance involved) and needed a new car. I loved my friends Volvo S60 and had ridden in it, but never driven it. Plus I wanted the wagon, so I called my USAA rep and they bought me a new Volvo XC70 while I was at work (had a client in town and couldn't break away), I sent my husband to pick it up. It was a complete game change for me - I went from driving a small four banger econo box to this cushy Volvo, but it was a great vehicle and I loved it so much I bought the new XC90 when it was time (years were 2000 and 2005). I was really nervous but I was familiar with the brand and there was a level of trust there.

I currently drive a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi and could only love it more if it was a full EV. We have owned over 4 Ford Trucks in the past 20 years, and love them too. I have brand trust when it comes to Ford. So, while I am a little nervous about this new full EV - both for me as it will be my first full EV but also for Ford as this is new for them (and I suspect way too early to have benefited from their partnership with Rivian) , the trust is what I lean on. I do agree that this is a lot of money and just like you said - anything too creepy in the order commitment paperwork will likely make me think again.

That being said - My brother is an automotive writer and was invited to the press release, the one where they took them on rides in the first Mach Es - he said it was a good car, and had unbelievable get up and go. I trust his opinion more than I trust my own, so maybe you could argue I have a little more than just brand trust...
I hear you and understand your POV. However, thereā€™s a huge difference between riding as a passenger in a carefully controlled manufacturerā€™s prototype test ride circuit as your brother did, and you driving the car. Howā€™s the driverā€™s seat feel, hows the visibility, hows the regenerative brake feel, how are the controls?

As an example, about 10 years ago my wife and I checked out a Volvo. Best seats in the industry, right? Weā€™ve heard that countless times, so that wouldnā€™t be a concern, right? Wrong! After our test drive, during which we both adjusted the seats countless times, my wife and I both agreed we absolutely couldnā€™t get comfortable no matter what we did. The car drove beautifully, but what good was that if we werenā€™t comfortable? We actually laughed when we left the dealership saying, ā€˜those seats are comfortable???ā€™. Now probably most would find those seats very comfortable, but for US, they just didnā€™t work.

There are so many things that need to be assessed, any of which could be a deal-breaker, that I absolutely would never buy a car on faith. I drove a Tesla for a day and a half before buying.

Everyone has their own comfort level with things like this, so I would never tell anyone what to do. BTW, I too had a Ford Fusion (PHEV Model) and loved it.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Thank you for being the voice of reason. Every time this topic comes up some people bring out the torches and pitch-forks. There is no way a company like Ford will risk angering potential buyers and getting bad, bad press by forcing anyone in the US to put in a non-refundable deposit sight unseen. As for the test drives, only the people with reservation # in the 4,000 may have a real short period between a actual test drive car in the dealership until their delivery. But for those 10/15/20k range, they would have plenty of time to test drive and sleep on it before the delivery date. At least thats my take on it. (Just like this pandemic...stay calm.)
It would be nice, indeed comforting, to hear from FORD on this and other matters! We were promised email updates in the reservation letter; "Watch your inbox for more information on the exciting electric journey with Ford, as well as next steps on order details for a Mustang Mach-E. " This was back in January. NADA, since.
Ford has seemingly re-started their marketing efforts for the MMe. Maybe they will assign someone to tend the concerns of the 50K reservists. But don't hold your breath. We're fish already in the creel. I just believe Ford is missing a great opportunity by not communicating with its future customers. Customers with questions, suggestions, and some knowledge. Customers who have shown enough interest to plunk down $500.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's poor customer service, especially when Ford indicated they would keep in touch. It's just that both MMe forums (macheforum.com and [Banned Site].com) have many customers questions and concerns that are not being addressed. We're just piecing information together from hearsay, second hand information, and press releases.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Keep in mind this guy is from marketing, so im not too wrapped up in the exact details of the dates.
I sat next to Mark Kaufman at a conference. He's head of marketing for Team Edison (one of the founding members), but he's not a "marketing guy" with disparagements attached. He's very much a straight-shooter... honest, intelligent and he understands what's needed in a performance car. He'll give you the best info that he has access to. But remember that there's a LOT up in the air right now.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I sat next to Mark Kaufman at a conference. He's head of marketing for Team Edison (one of the founding members), but he's not a "marketing guy" with disparagements attached. He's very much a straight-shooter... honest, intelligent and he understands what's needed in a performance car. He'll give you the best info that he has access to. But remember that there's a LOT up in the air right now.
So, did he give you any insight, juicy gossip, anything?

Berth48

First Name
Arnauld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima hybride rechargeable. MME First Ɖdition
Country flag
De toute maniĆØre Ford n'en a rien Ć  faire, les prĆ©commande qui seront annulĆ©es irons Ć  d'autres clients en attente. Ce qui n'empĆŖche qu'il y a un Ć©norme manque de communication de leur part.

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-PACE SE, x-Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV and x-Tesla S owner
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been vocal on the issue of Ford not telling us anything directly about our order situation..at least US customers (prospects). Today the answer dawned on me...

Ford marketing is smarter than I have been giving them credit for in the past. They have simply..."had nothing they could tell us that was firm enough to not embarrass them later".
1. They don't know their production volume for 2020 or early 2021. a) The ME is going to be made in Mexico. The Mexican auto industry is only producing at 40% of capacity (WSJ 5/18). They are in lockdown in Mexico. b) Covid-19 has yet to peak in Mexico, so future production is unpredictable...including from suppliers. It will probably get worse.
2. From the forum, Ford appears to be confirming and shipping cars to Europe first. This may be fore emission compliance reasons. This further dents the numbers that can be distributed in the US.

So, Ford has no idea at this point as to when they will be able to make "your" car no matter what your Reservation number is. They are smart to keep a low profile and not mislead us until they have more visibility. Sorry for this sad realization. Maybe Ken7 had the right idea here. I am glad that I am happy with my current car, enough to wait...for awhile anyway.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
2. From the forum, Ford appears to be confirming and shipping cars to Europe first.
I've only seen comments from one member saying this is fact (and the fact that he repeatedly says it doesn't make it substantiated).
I admit I don't have any facts to show that is not the case now, but I've certainly seen no indication that Ford has changed course from earlier when it's repeatedly stated deliveries will be simultaneous to US and EU. We've certainly not seen anything I would characterize as Ford confirming delivery priority has shifted to EU.

RockDaphne98296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE, 2016 F-350 Super Duty XLT
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Country flag
...As an example, about 10 years ago my wife and I checked out a Volvo. Best seats in the industry, right? Weā€™ve heard that countless times, so that wouldnā€™t be a concern, right? Wrong! After our test drive, during which we both adjusted the seats countless times, my wife and I both agreed we absolutely couldnā€™t get comfortable no matter what we did. The car drove beautifully, but what good was that if we werenā€™t comfortable? We actually laughed when we left the dealership saying, ā€˜those seats are comfortable???ā€™. Now probably most would find those seats very comfortable, but for US, they just didnā€™t work.

Everyone has their own comfort level with things like this, so I would never tell anyone what to do. BTW, I too had a Ford Fusion (PHEV Model) and loved it.
I am so hoppy to hear of another Fusion Energi fan!

I 100% agree that this is a personal decision and each of us has to evaluate this purchase to meet our own needs and preferences. Cars are so personal to me, so I very much appreciate how this is a big commitment. I also completely understand and agree that a test drive can truly make the difference. I took a big risk with the Volvo XC70 in 2000, and got lucky. That was the only time I bought a car (~6 new cars in ~20 years) where it was signed for before I actually drove it. I loved the XC70 with all of my heart but I went test drove the XC90 I replaced it with, mostly because I was just following the normal process. I loved that XC90 too...

Just to share my experiences as to what you have mentioned above...

I loved my two Volvos - including the seats (there goes that personal preference again ;-D), the only reason I went to the Ford Fusion Energi was the desire to get away from 19mpg (I had the 5 cylinder both times), and to see if I would plug it in every day or get tired of it. I have found that I am very good about plugging it in, and have even installed a garage plug for it - even though it charges my little 25 mile range in about 2.5 hours. I do want to revise my statement about my Fusion Energi, I could only love it more if it were a full EV and a SUV. Which is why I jumped on the Mach E...

Warmest wishes for whatever you decide - I sincerely hope that as the schedule rounds out we will get a chance to sit in a Mach E before pulling the trigger!
Sponsored