jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Well, I don't like short sellers in general. it's betting a company will do bad in the future.

My position is in the middle. I think Tesla stock is over valued, but not to the point where I think Tesla is going to stop growing any time soon or loose value, or that it needs a major correction compared to the future. A short sell is extremely risky at this point. Tesla has the potential to grow into their market cap, and no serious competition until 2022 in the auto market. Product wise they could in 2021 (mach e, maybe id.4, etc), but so far no one can produce enough compelling vehicles even if they have a competing product to make a significant dent In Tesla's numbers.

One year from now might be time to consider a short sell if they don't fix their quality problems, and other companies ramp up production. That said, betting on a company doing bad is risky and not really a good idea, but would certainly make more sense than anytime in the last several years.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Well, I don't like short sellers in general. it's betting a company will do bad in the future.

My position is in the middle. I think Tesla stock is over valued, but not to the point where I think Tesla is going to stop growing any time soon or loose value, or that it needs a major correction compared to the future. A short sell is extremely risky at this point. Tesla has the potential to grow into their market cap, and no serious competition until 2022 in the auto market. Product wise they could in 2021 (mach e, maybe id.4, etc), but so far no one can produce enough compelling vehicles even if they have a competing product to make a significant dent In Tesla's numbers.

One year from now might be time to consider a short sell if they don't fix their quality problems, and other companies ramp up production. That said, betting on a company doing bad is risky and not really a good idea, but would certainly make more sense than anytime in the last several years.
I donā€™t see how they could grow into their market cap. They are worth more than numerous other automakers combined. If they have no serious competition until 2032, not just 2022, it may not be enough. They need what, to be selling as many cars as Toyota per year but to have Porsche-like profit margins to justify their stock price? Take away their regulatory credits, they are not yet even turning a profit on their car business.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I donā€™t see how they could grow into their market cap. They are worth more than numerous other automakers combined. If they have no serious competition until 2032, not just 2022, it may not be enough. They need what, to be selling as many cars as Toyota per year but to have Porsche-like profit margins to justify their stock price? Take away their regulatory credits, they are not yet even turning a profit on their car business.
and we come full circle...
LOL, you haven't been following this thread, or are you trying to beat a dead horse for the fun of it?
Hint: It's not about the auto market. Unlike Toyota, Tesla is a tech company. They have power wall, the solar panels, the solar roof, the megapack, and a lot of non vehicle products that haven't made it to market yet. Tesla doesn't need the EV market to succeed.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The thing about tesla is, Musk was bragging and boasting so much. He even said he thought he would still have 3 to 5 years before the Mass EV market would take off.
Telsa needed to get china Germany and the truck launched before everyone else.

Now all the other vehicle manufacturers have decided to hurry up and not wait. Tesla will have to keep cutting market gains and prices not to fall behind.

Competition is good for us but bad for the business.

History repeats itself so much in life its sicken how true that statement is. When you make a product that no one really has and you rush it to the for front. You reap the rewards to start. But when others catch up then your cash flow starts to dwindle and people get laid off and things get trimmed.

Why you think the iPhone just doesn't launch all the new tech in one phone. They could, not each year new phone with a small upgrade to keep the consumer coming back each year and for the completion not to get a big tech lead that they can't counter on.

Well, we can have a car that can go 500 miles range but if we take it slow and go 200 to 250 to 300 and so on we keep them buying the next great thing.

It's chess not checkers.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
LOL, you haven't been following this thread, or are you trying to beat a dead horse for the fun of it?
Hint: It's not about the auto market. Unlike Toyota, Tesla is a tech company. They have power wall, the solar panels, the solar roof, the megapack, and a lot of non vehicle products that haven't made it to market yet. Tesla doesn't need the EV market to succeed.
Well, thatā€™s a good point, but only to an extent. People seem to be pricing the company and buying and selling the stock based on met or missed vehicle milestones. As far as I know, itā€™s stock price didnā€™t soar this year after it announced it was getting into some new segment.

And the other point I think has already been made, but Iā€™ll repeat that just because they are good at something doesnā€™t mean there is much money in it. There is no shingle company worth 100 billion by way of example. Nest might make the best thermostats but Google bought them for 3.2 billion not 32 billion and certainly not 320 billion, etc.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Not to mention, those regulatory credits they counted to show a profit are future credits. Not sure how they passed GAAP.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
They have a better chance of success in the automotive world then in the tech world. At least they have a niche in the EV market. In the tech world they would be the ones trying to play catch-up.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The app is definitely one thing with the real time flow view and graphs. The way the product stacks and scales is also better than most of the competition, not to mention price is better than the competition.

As to why... probably because Tesla has a better balanced full stack, especially on the software side and most of the competition is lacking on the software side compared to Tesla.
I donā€™t disagree that competitors are lacking on the software side. But, the competition is focusing on what matters to the majority of people: overall build quality, good customer service, immersive drive experiences. Software-only isnā€™t going to cut it for most people.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Do you remember all the drama around Tesla acquiring Solar City and folding it into Tesla?
I do. I was a Solar City customer at the time and I was curious as to why Elon had such a difficult time persuading his board to take on Solar City. Back then, I too was a little bit under Elon's spell and thought he could do no wrong. Now I see that his board was wise to think that deal through and question why they should add this odd solar company to the portfolio.
I am happy we have solar, I just wish we had purchased the system instead of leasing from Solar City which is now Tesla which will eventually require a new contract and potentially issues when we do have to renegotiate. It may be that Tesla will have a few more headaches at that time and so will I.