Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Ford CEO Jim Farley confirmed that it will continue to offer Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity in its cars. This is in response to a question connected to GM's announcement to drop both in the future.

Farley's answer offers more insight, as well. He acknowledged that there are two camps in the in-car software battle: Tesla and GM, and then everyone else. Ford is with everyone else.

However, the Blue Oval chief emphasized that the first software shipped with the vehicle for customers is not for the interior digital experience, but is actually for safety-critical functions such as partial autonomy, security, and productivity. Farley also added that interior experience is important, but there's going to be a lot more going on inside a car beyond phones. He believes that the relationship between the customer and the "content" should not be disrupted – in contrast to what Tesla and GM want to happen, to have complete control over the interior experience.

https://www.motor1.com/news/666174/ford-wont-drop-apple-carplay-android-auto-vehicles/
Sponsored

thumperr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
96 Probe, 2002 Explorer XLT, 2019 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
I expect CarPlay to work. But I do not like the Apple review of the next gen CarPlay that takes over everything. I like my sync3 option were I can toggle back and forth from CarPlay to ford native.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That’s until they figure out there really is too much money to be made and bye bye Car Play.

Nerwyn

First Name
Nerwyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021Ford MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Good. I hope Sync 4/4A continues to improve it's Android Auto / Apple CarPlay integration. I'd like to see true full screen (minus the HVAC control area) return like it could in Sync 3. And it's a longshot, but radio and other car controls from within AA/ACP would be amazing. Some of this functionality already exists in the Ford Pass app, they'd just have to make the app also support AA/ACP and create a UI for that. While it would be inefficient code execution wise (going from the headunit UI to the phone and then back to the car) it would be way more convenient UX wise.

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Well that boomerang came back quickly....... LOL
Sponsored