Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
This is one part of a complex puzzle. 5 minute charging means roughly 1000kw chargers. That’s a shit ton of power. We can’t even pull that for battery electric buses yet, and they don’t even use cables, they use overhead pantographs (although 600kw is in the works for pantograph charging). Bus batteries are also over 400kwh and charge at 800V.

1000kw charging, over a cable, for a car battery that’s less than 100kwh, using todays lithium ion batteries, is not happening anytime soon (although I’d like it to as much as everyone else).

Edit: if we are talking 5 minutes to charge from 20-80%, that’s still a charge rate of over 700kw for the MME extended range. We can’t even hit 150kw sustained yet, and it’s not because of the cable.
Has an overhead pantograph approach been piloted for electric cars anywhere? It's well-known tech, and perhaps could be used on long stretches of freeway. Drive on battery most of the time, then for highway driving switch to the panto. Maybe just in a single dedicated lane?
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Has an overhead pantograph approach been piloted for electric cars anywhere? It's well-known tech, and perhaps could be used on long stretches of freeway. Drive on battery most of the time, then for highway driving switch to the panto. Maybe just in a single dedicated lane?
I like the idea of a toll road or toll lane that charges wireless like your cell phone.

Could even have some sort of attachment that lowers closer to the road/charging surface while charging. Then they could also line the road with solar panels to help deliver the electricity.

Cost, safety, and getting everyone to adopt the same tech are all issues.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I like the idea of a toll road or toll lane that charges wireless like your cell phone.

Could even have some sort of attachment that lowers closer to the road/charging surface while charging. Then they could also line the road with solar panels to help deliver the electricity.

Cost, safety, and getting everyone to adopt the same tech are all issues.
We have done some wireless inductive bus chargers, but at this point the vehicle has to be stationary and aligned pretty well on top of the charging pad for it to work well. Haven’t seen one able to couple while moving yet.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I believe there are several pilot projects in early stages with something like that, but aimed at large semi trucks. Short sections of fast-charging via pantograph on certain parts of highways to extend the usable range of the battery. I’ll have to find it, it was a few months back.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ya, I don't think many people are gonna want a giant pantograph mounted to the roof of their personal cars. :cool:

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Could even have some sort of attachment that lowers closer to the road/charging surface while charging.
Pretty much impossible, most energy will be wasted and only a tiny fraction go to the car.
Perhaps a wire can help. Oh, wait, it's already invented, it's called an electric train. ?
Then they could also line the road with solar panels to help deliver the electricity.
Are you thinking about something like this?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Ya, I don't think many people are gonna want a giant pantograph mounted to the roof of their personal cars. :cool:
True! I have seen high-speed trains in Italy elegantly tuck the pantograph into the roof, but yeah, that would probably make for a thick roof

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Pretty much impossible, most energy will be wasted and only a tiny fraction go to the car.
Perhaps a wire can help. Oh, wait, it's already invented, it's called an electric train. ?

Are you thinking about something like this?
No, I was thinking of regular old solar panels on the side of the road.

Pretty much the whole road would have to be the induction charger.
Sponsored