gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
I didnt have this happen before 4.16.0 and NO I was not in motion I was standing outside my car in a parking lot trying to get the door to open. I closed the app multiple times and it still thought I was in motion!
1654633666735.png
This reminds me of their moronic Car Play restrictions, where I'm unable to scroll through my playlist in Sync 4, nor scroll down past a few songs within a play list due to Ford's concerns over liability.

This of course, only forces me to pick-up my phone and take my eyes off the road while I scroll to the playlist / song I want to play, thereby negating any safety / liability concerns Ford has over CarPlay.

Our Volvo didn't have this restrictions and it was a pleasure to use.

Lawyers ought to stay out of user interface design, and stick to writing fineprint on the back of the user manual.

/Rant over

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
Ok, I have an update here.

I updated my iOS to the latest version, and completely deleted FordPass app. I then reinstalled the app, logged in, and was able to successfully pair the phone as Phone As Key.

Something tells me some cached data was being retained in the FordPass app and not being properly cleared when attempting to re-pair the phone as Phone As Key.

Deleting and reinstalling the app worked for me.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Upon loading FordPass on my phone today (iPhone 13), I no longer saw the "Bluetooth Connected" in the app. Instead, I saw "Setup Phone As Key". Strange, I thought, as the Phone had worked just fine since December 2021 when we took delivery of the car.

I went to Setup Phone As Key, but received the following error:

IMG_4528.jpeg

So I thought I'd try my wife's phone (also iPhone 13). Same issue. FordPass app showed "Setup Phone As Key".

Her phone also showed the same error during the setup process.

So I've gone ahead and removed both of our phones from the Bluetooth pair list, and also removed them from CarPlay.

Furthermore, as FordPass instructed me to, I've Reset FordConnect in the General settings within Sync 4.

Ultimately, I am unable to setup either one of our phones as Phone As Key.

This is the error that continues to show-up.

IMG_4529.jpeg

I'm going to forego on calling their customer support number, as they only recite a script and never actually solve anything.

Just want to say thanks again to Ford for screwing with something that wasn't broken, and force-updating our software with buggy features.
You should have read the thread first. Force quitting the app makes the PaaK buttons come back. It's a bug.

DrJay32

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.luminescentphoto.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
I redid my PAAK setup because I hadn't seen the tip to just force quit and reopen the app when it tells you to set it up again.

It was fine enough if even a bit annoying. But now... PAAK isn't working as well it was for me. Prior to this I had *zero* issues with PAAK. Everyone complaining about it sounded completely foreign to me. It worked flawlessly. Now? Not so much. I've had to open the FordPass app to get the car to recognize PAAK. I've had it freak out on me when walking by my car with my phone in my pocket flashing the welcome lights. It can't decide if I'm walking up or away or whatever. Even when i'm standing still.

Hoping we get a new update soon that fixes some of this.
Similar issue here. Was able to get my buttons back by restarting my phone, but now I get a “Set up PAAK” message and even though I started my car (at home) with the App, when I got in my car, I got a “no key detected” message. No clue as to what’s going on, because I had minimal issues prior to this update.

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
Similar issue here. Was able to get my buttons back by restarting my phone, but now I get a “Set up PAAK” message and even though I started my car (at home) with the App, when I got in my car, I got a “no key detected” message. No clue as to what’s going on, because I had minimal issues prior to this update.
Yea I've gotten the "no key detected" message a couple of times now too with PaaK. Even after the car lets me start it with PaaK. As I'm backing out my driveway it tells me there's no key. Well... then why are you letting me drive away lol?

crazyfool54

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E FE GB
Country flag
I'm bumping up this thread.

Upon loading FordPass on my phone today (iPhone 13), I no longer saw the "Bluetooth Connected" in the app. Instead, I saw "Setup Phone As Key". Strange, I thought, as the Phone had worked just fine since December 2021 when we took delivery of the car.

I went to Setup Phone As Key, but received the following error:

IMG_4528.jpeg

So I thought I'd try my wife's phone (also iPhone 13). Same issue. FordPass app showed "Setup Phone As Key".

Her phone also showed the same error during the setup process.

So I've gone ahead and removed both of our phones from the Bluetooth pair list, and also removed them from CarPlay.

Furthermore, as FordPass instructed me to, I've Reset FordConnect in the General settings within Sync 4.

Ultimately, I am unable to setup either one of our phones as Phone As Key.

This is the error that continues to show-up.

IMG_4529.jpeg

I'm going to forego on calling their customer support number, as they only recite a script and never actually solve anything.

Just want to say thanks again to Ford for screwing with something that wasn't broken, and force-updating our software with buggy features.
I’m getting this same issue now and have reset PaaK in the past a few time with no issues. Have you found a solution to the pairing failed issue since this post?

ford pass rep told me to get the PaaK update and a module replacedeven though it was working yesterday with no issues. Just no buttons. Ithought redoing would remove the stupid “set up phone as a key message” but now I’m screwed and have to carry the fob after a year of no fob :(

I’ve already went to my car a few times and had to run back in and get the key. 😐

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I didnt have this happen before 4.16.0 and NO I was not in motion I was standing outside my car in a parking lot trying to get the door to open. I closed the app multiple times and it still thought I was in motion!
1654633666735.png
I have started getting this as well, which blocks me from using the app. I cannot figure out how to clear it. I tried turning off WiFi and Bluetooth, but even when disconnected from the car I cannot clear the warning message. What a huge PIA. At least before it would ask me if I was driving and I had the option to select "no" and still use the app.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
They forced me to update to 4.16.1. It mostly broke PAAK for me. Used to work pretty reliably. Now, I get a lot of "No key detected". I could live with using the backup start passcode, but that has always been unreliable, and continues to be unreliable.

Now, where did I leave that key...

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Can't believe they haven't fixed the Paak message bug yet. Unlike OTA, the app has been updated very frequently so far.

Last edited:

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
Can't believe they haven't fixed the Paak message bug yet.
Still happening as of June 22, 2022. Deleting the app completely and reinstalling it, and repairing it with Mach-E worked for a few days. Today it's back to showing me "Setup Phone As Key", and the phone no longer starts my Mach-E (again).

Not going to bother with persistent reinstaling and repairing of the app. Will just use my keyfob.

I just feel bad for people who exclusively used their Phones as Key and are now probably stuck.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Still happening as of June 22, 2022. Deleting the app completely and reinstalling it, and repairing it with Mach-E worked for a few days. Today it's back to showing me "Setup Phone As Key", and the phone no longer starts my Mach-E (again).

Not going to bother with persistent reinstaling and repairing of the app. Will just use my keyfob.

I just feel bad for people who exclusively used their Phones as Key and are now probably stuck.
I have had flakey "key not detected" behavior the last week or so, but still using PaaK 100%. Usually all I need to do is turn off Bluetooth and then turn it back on. Takes about 20 seconds and then everything is working again.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
My FordPass app is on 4.17.0 (iOS).

Not sure what the changes are, but I have concluded that every time PAAK goes stupid...it is because a new version updated. On iOS I just force quit and then re-open FordPass and PAAK is working again.
Sponsored