Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
I was on the Apple discussion boards trying (futilely) to find some support, and you should have seen the BMW owners ripping their app (and online guides and concierges and everything else) to shreds! They truly despise their mobile app and the support they get from BMW.
A German OEM's software UI doesn't work the way normal people think it should? Do tell....
Sponsored

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
I'm a UX designer, so I study apps of all types every day as part of my design work. Not only is the FordPass app a terrible experience for EVs, it's one of the worst apps I use on a regular basis period.

I've been toying with the idea of writing up a UX study of both the app and in-car UX, as I find both super problematic. Maybe I'll do that after I get a few more miles on the car.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I use FordPass with my 2018 Expedition and my Mach-E. I see a lot of people hating the app here, but what aspects don’t you guys like? I haven’t really had any issues or complaints about the app, and seems to give me what I need.

Please share what you specifically don’t like about it. Maybe I’m missing something!

Thanks!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
However, Tesla’s app is resonating well with the brand’s owners and, in terms of speed for remote control functions, the app still proves to be the industry’s benchmark.

Strange its not top.
I’m pretty sure that Tesla could release a roll of toilet paper previously used by Elon Musk and it would “resonate well with the brand’s owners” ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I use FordPass with my 2018 Expedition and my Mach-E. I see a lot of people hating the app here, but what aspects don’t you guys like? I haven’t really had any issues or complaints about the app, and seems to give me what I need.

Please share what you specifically don’t like about it. Maybe I’m missing something!

Thanks!
Elements of the UI don’t line up properly and overwrite each other, causing the screen to appear to be jumbled.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm a UX designer, so I study apps of all types every day as part of my design work. Not only is the FordPass app a terrible experience for EVs, it's one of the worst apps I use on a regular basis period.

I've been toying with the idea of writing up a UX study of both the app and in-car UX, as I find both super problematic. Maybe I'll do that after I get a few more miles on the car.
I'm not a UX designer, but I work for a tech company well-known for its UX. I agree with your comment about FP 100%; it is a mess. The in-car software is less so, but could still be improved.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I think JD Power grades based on specs, not on actual testing or experience. I've learned to ignore whatever JD Power says.

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
- Having to change certain charging settings only available on the FP app.
- Plug & Charge reliability.
- Not being able to use Electrify America's Plus pass with FP app.
- Phone as key not always detected inside.

A few of the issues I'm aware of, and I don't even have my MME yet.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag

Thanks!
Sure. Here’s my current list of FP complaints….

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/fordpass-3-21-0-released.5778/post-163384

Basically it’s useless for charge management and charge supervision. I can’t make changes to my charging schedule / max charge through the app. I can’t check to see if I remembered to plug in my car. I can’t check to see if the car is actually charging. I can’t monitor the speed of the charging. This matters when I’m upstairs in my bed and I don’t want to walk down to the garage late at night. It matters when I’m public charging and I walk into a restaurant. I consider this to be basic functionality for an EV app, and it doesn’t work well, if at all.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
A German OEM's software UI doesn't work the way normal people think it should? Do tell....
Anyone that have ever worked with SAP knows that very well.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone that have ever worked with SAP knows that very well.
Yeah, I didn't want to bust on Germans indiscriminately, but they're not known for "intuitive" software.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
If FordPass (when used for an EV) is among the best, I don’t see that so much as praise of the FordPass app, but rather a scathing remark on the other apps out there.
I have said before that Ford should seriously consider making a FordPass EV app that is exclusively for EV’s because our needs are different than ICE drivers.
well said....

The app is ok..... but the connectivity pretty much sucks. The only features I really care about are lock/unlock, remote start, and the big missing feature is to get updates on state of charge and verify charge rate (kW) while charging..... maybe FordPass message when charge completes in case you are in a roadside resturant waiting for charge.

I dunno who JDPowers surveyed, but it wasn't me. Which actually kinda surprises me as not all that many Mach-e have been delivered. I have yet to get a Ford Survey or any method to give direct Feedback on specific good/bad features.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My problems with the FordPass app don’t have anything to do with the Mach-E since I do not own one yet. I registered my Fusion in the app but cannot perform any operations with the app. The app gives me no correct information about the car. It recently told me that I needed to service my car for a recall. After dropping it off at the dealer, the dealer called me back and told me that there are no recalls on my VIN that have not been serviced. Not sure I want to place any reliance on FordPass when I get my MME.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Sure. Here’s my current list of FP complaints….

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/fordpass-3-21-0-released.5778/post-163384

Basically it’s useless for charge management and charge supervision. I can’t make changes to my charging schedule / max charge through the app. I can’t check to see if I remembered to plug in my car. I can’t check to see if the car is actually charging. I can’t monitor the speed of the charging. This matters when I’m upstairs in my bed and I don’t want to walk down to the garage late at night. It matters when I’m public charging and I walk into a restaurant. I consider this to be basic functionality for an EV app, and it doesn’t work well, if at all.

exactly.... major missing EV features are to verify charge rate, and some kind of notification when 'done' in case you are using a shared plug, or want to get back on the road!
Sponsored