MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sure. Here’s my current list of FP complaints….

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/fordpass-3-21-0-released.5778/post-163384

Basically it’s useless for charge management and charge supervision. I can’t make changes to my charging schedule / max charge through the app. I can’t check to see if I remembered to plug in my car. I can’t check to see if the car is actually charging. I can’t monitor the speed of the charging. This matters when I’m upstairs in my bed and I don’t want to walk down to the garage late at night. It matters when I’m public charging and I walk into a restaurant. I consider this to be basic functionality for an EV app, and it doesn’t work well, if at all.
Thanks for sharing that. Are you on iOS? Other than speed of charging, which I agree is very important, my app appears to be showing me pretty much the rest of what you’re not seeing.

I’m usingthe latest version of the app, but it’s been working that way for me for a few weeks, ever since I got my Mach-E.

The app does crash on me once in a while, but then so do a lot of apps I use! ?‍♂

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass among best EV apps according to J.D. Power study 17E330CE-0A20-4618-B8EE-9807186C9940
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass among best EV apps according to J.D. Power study 201D903A-DAE5-48DC-8B25-4F3F7696BB15

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
According to the study, the top-performing EV mobile apps are Kia Access, FordPass, Porsche Connect, myChevrolet, and MyHyundai.

Tesla, the U.S. leader in EV sales, ranks sixth in the study. […]
Listen, I am very far from being a Tesla apologist. But I have to call the red flag here.

JDP puts five apps in as "top" classification, but call out negatives on only the 6th place app that happens to be Tesla. Porsche Connect, the only other app mentioned, is awarded for "most improved" then the current experience.

Without context of the spread of whatever the scores are… I don't find anything about this press release useful, absent of actual data from the report.

I'm a UX designer, so I study apps of all types every day as part of my design work. Not only is the FordPass app a terrible experience for EVs, it's one of the worst apps I use on a regular basis period.
Front-end engineer here, and I share the same opinions. There's a lot of "better than other cars" feedback, but no one is stating what seems obvious to the both of us: The app itself doesn't perform to expectations of how mobile apps should perform. I do look forward to your report!

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
well said....

The app is ok..... but the connectivity pretty much sucks. The only features I really care about are lock/unlock, remote start, and the big missing feature is to get updates on state of charge and verify charge rate (kW) while charging..... maybe FordPass message when charge completes in case you are in a roadside resturant waiting for charge.
I would really like to be able to see charge rate. I’d almost rather get an alert at a point of my choosing before full i.e. charging to 80%, but notify me at 70% so I can head back to the car .

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FordPass crashes on my Galaxy S10+ and the user interface could use some work

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Thanks for sharing that. Are you on iOS? Other than speed of charging, which I agree is very important, my app appears to be showing me pretty much the rest of what you’re not seeing.

I’m usingthe latest version of the app, but it’s been working that way for me for a few weeks, ever since I got my Mach-E.

The app does crash on me once in a while, but then so do a lot of apps I use! ?‍♂

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass among best EV apps according to J.D. Power study 201D903A-DAE5-48DC-8B25-4F3F7696BB15
iOS. I used to get what you got, although it was very delayed. Now I don’t even get that.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The HondaLink app is worse and has fewer features. I had to have several phone calls with Honda support to revive it when it quit working. I'm not sure there is a way to limit a charge to 90% with the Clarity. The odometer updated about once a month in the app. I have never even tried the app for the Nissan LEAF, the reviews kept me from trying it.
I use the app for our Nissan Leaf but it’s slow and has very few features.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
The HondaLink app is worse and has fewer features. I had to have several phone calls with Honda support to revive it when it quit working. I'm not sure there is a way to limit a charge to 90% with the Clarity. The odometer updated about once a month in the app. I have never even tried the app for the Nissan LEAF, the reviews kept me from trying it.
Yeah, I love my Clarity (except for the range, of course), but the HondaLink app was pretty weak.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
iOS. I used to get what you got, although it was very delayed. Now I don’t even get that.
That‘s odd and annoying. Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I use FordPass with my 2018 Expedition and my Mach-E. I see a lot of people hating the app here, but what aspects don’t you guys like? I haven’t really had any issues or complaints about the app, and seems to give me what I need.

Please share what you specifically don’t like about it. Maybe I’m missing something!

Thanks!
As others have said...
  • The UI is clunky, laggy, and somewhat unresponsive
  • Some pages randomly are missing basic features, like a back button (Example: the "Preferred Charge Times" screen has no back button. Also, the link to it is called "Preferred Charge Locations", but the title of the screen is then called "Preferred Charge Times".. huh?)
  • Features you'd expect to be readily available are buried in menus you wouldn't intuitively expect, such as setting max charge (This should be a slider to set charge limit temporarily, just like "Charge to 100%", but what if I temporarily want to charge to 90%? I have to find the "Charge Locations" and set it there 4 menus deep?)
  • Should have the ability to limit charge current for those with unique EVSE setups or for temporary charging in a new location
  • Clickable elements randomly change in styling such that you aren't sure what is a link to a new page and what isn't, sometimes
  • Excessive use of "Loading" splash screens after every tap makes the app feel even more sluggish than it is in reality
  • Map view is terribly laggy and almost unusable; doesn't automatically center on the car's location
  • Opening Settings > Notifications for me causes the app to crash
  • Messages are all but useless, and I can't find a way to turn off certain categories of them
  • Gripe: It's far too easy to accidentally click one of the command buttons, such as lock/unlock/start, when you're trying to scroll the screen down. It counts your scroll as a "long press" even if you move your finger off the button such as while swiping to scroll. It's just bad UX design.
  • Why is this battery icon red sometimes with no explanation?
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass among best EV apps according to J.D. Power study Screenshot_20210511-111109~2

Other than that, it "works", it just needs polishing. I hope Ford reads this @Ford Team

Last edited:

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Speaking of JD Power, I just got their survey in the mail today for the Mach E purchase. I won’t have time until later in the week to complete it, however.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Meh, my FP app once again made my Fusion invisible. It's fine in the MyFord Mobile app. :-/
Sponsored