Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
For the all the complaints I've head about the glitchy app., I am surprised to see this accolade.

Enjoy!

Link: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-oem-ev-app-benchmark-study

Electric vehicle (EV) owners are more than twice as likely to use the manufacturer’s mobile app than owners of a vehicle with an internal combustion engine (ICE), which is good news for automakers looking to increase—and ultimately monetize—their digital service offerings. According to the inaugural J.D. Power U.S. OEM EV App Benchmark Study,SM released today, 41% of EV owners say they are using their brand’s smartphone app at least every other trip.

J.D. Power is increasing its presence in the field of customer satisfaction with automotive mobile apps, as the industry faces ongoing uncertainty to develop a compelling customer experience. Acknowledging the increase of EV sales and model offerings, the study evaluates the all-important user experience with automakers’ smartphone apps for EV owners.

The OEM EV App Benchmark Study gauges EV owners’ experience with their brand’s mobile app. Insights are derived from surveying EV owners and an expert benchmarking assessment of the most relevant EV mobile apps. Results are based on a standardized evaluation approach relying on more than 300 best practices for vehicle apps that include more than 60 EV-specific attributes.

“These owners are looking for different features in a mobile app,” said Frank Hanley, senior director of global automotive consulting at J.D. Power. “With charging infrastructure still being developed and range anxiety having a significant effect on customer behavior, tasks like checking the battery level and monitoring the charging process are high priorities for EV owners.”

According to the study, the top-performing EV mobile apps are Kia Access, FordPass, Porsche Connect, myChevrolet, and MyHyundai.

Tesla, the U.S. leader in EV sales, ranks sixth in the study. Tesla’s app has not changed significantly for many years, and other manufacturers are offering apps with greater functionality. However, Tesla’s app is resonating well with the brand’s owners and, in terms of speed for remote control functions, the app still proves to be the industry’s benchmark.

Following are key findings of the 2021 study:

• App usage is significantly higher among EV owners: A notable 41% of EV owners say they use their brand’s mobile app more than half the time or every time they drive. Only 19% of ICE owners say they use their brand’s app more than half the time or every time they drive.
  • Dedicated EV apps lack functionality: While the scope of features is high with most apps, in some cases, EV owners experience less functionality than apps used by ICE owners. Evaluators noted that both Mazda and Volkswagen removed app functions from their EV apps that were present in their ICE apps.
  • Many app executions still overwhelm owners: Manufacturers must remember that while EV owners seek new technology, much of it is still new to most owners. It is key for those apps boasting more features and functionality to show a good usability including an intuitive layout and structure. Also, as many new owners have no experience with electrical units in relation to driving range or the advantages of charging during off-peak hours, it is important to put things in terms that they can understand.
  • Willingness to pay for app features remains low: EV owners are even less willing to pay for using a manufacturer’s mobile app than ICE owners. However, owners who say they’re highly satisfied with their app are more likely to consider paying.
“It’s critical that manufacturers devote proper resources to developing apps that truly fit the needs of new EV owners,” said Fabian Chowanetz, manager of automotive consulting at J.D. Power Europe. “Porsche Connect is just one example of a premium brand making up ground after having redesigned its first-generation app. With these automakers on the cusp of launching so many new EV models, they must be ready to adapt their apps to owners’ needs and invest in improving the digital experience. If not, loyalty and retention are at risk.”

The expert benchmarking includes apps from the top 15 brands that sell EVs in the United States and Europe. For the inaugural study, 14 models were evaluated in the United States and 5 in Europe. In addition, almost 600 EV owners in the United States were surveyed in March 2021.

For more information about the Electric Vehicle Mobile App Study, visit https://www.jdpower.com/business/automotive/electric-vehicle-mobile-app-study.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
If FordPass (when used for an EV) is among the best, I don’t see that so much as praise of the FordPass app, but rather a scathing remark on the other apps out there.
I have said before that Ford should seriously consider making a FordPass EV app that is exclusively for EV’s because our needs are different than ICE drivers.

rockatansky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Infinite Blue Mach-E ER RWD
Country flag
For the all the complaints I've head about the glitchy app., I am surprised to see this accolade.

Enjoy!

Link: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-oem-ev-app-benchmark-study

Electric vehicle (EV) owners are more than twice as likely to use the manufacturer’s mobile app than owners of a vehicle with an internal combustion engine (ICE), which is good news for automakers looking to increase—and ultimately monetize—their digital service offerings. According to the inaugural J.D. Power U.S. OEM EV App Benchmark Study,SM released today, 41% of EV owners say they are using their brand’s smartphone app at least every other trip.

J.D. Power is increasing its presence in the field of customer satisfaction with automotive mobile apps, as the industry faces ongoing uncertainty to develop a compelling customer experience. Acknowledging the increase of EV sales and model offerings, the study evaluates the all-important user experience with automakers’ smartphone apps for EV owners.

The OEM EV App Benchmark Study gauges EV owners’ experience with their brand’s mobile app. Insights are derived from surveying EV owners and an expert benchmarking assessment of the most relevant EV mobile apps. Results are based on a standardized evaluation approach relying on more than 300 best practices for vehicle apps that include more than 60 EV-specific attributes.

“These owners are looking for different features in a mobile app,” said Frank Hanley, senior director of global automotive consulting at J.D. Power. “With charging infrastructure still being developed and range anxiety having a significant effect on customer behavior, tasks like checking the battery level and monitoring the charging process are high priorities for EV owners.”

According to the study, the top-performing EV mobile apps are Kia Access, FordPass, Porsche Connect, myChevrolet, and MyHyundai.

Tesla, the U.S. leader in EV sales, ranks sixth in the study. Tesla’s app has not changed significantly for many years, and other manufacturers are offering apps with greater functionality. However, Tesla’s app is resonating well with the brand’s owners and, in terms of speed for remote control functions, the app still proves to be the industry’s benchmark.

Following are key findings of the 2021 study:

• App usage is significantly higher among EV owners: A notable 41% of EV owners say they use their brand’s mobile app more than half the time or every time they drive. Only 19% of ICE owners say they use their brand’s app more than half the time or every time they drive.
  • Dedicated EV apps lack functionality: While the scope of features is high with most apps, in some cases, EV owners experience less functionality than apps used by ICE owners. Evaluators noted that both Mazda and Volkswagen removed app functions from their EV apps that were present in their ICE apps.
  • Many app executions still overwhelm owners: Manufacturers must remember that while EV owners seek new technology, much of it is still new to most owners. It is key for those apps boasting more features and functionality to show a good usability including an intuitive layout and structure. Also, as many new owners have no experience with electrical units in relation to driving range or the advantages of charging during off-peak hours, it is important to put things in terms that they can understand.
  • Willingness to pay for app features remains low: EV owners are even less willing to pay for using a manufacturer’s mobile app than ICE owners. However, owners who say they’re highly satisfied with their app are more likely to consider paying.
“It’s critical that manufacturers devote proper resources to developing apps that truly fit the needs of new EV owners,” said Fabian Chowanetz, manager of automotive consulting at J.D. Power Europe. “Porsche Connect is just one example of a premium brand making up ground after having redesigned its first-generation app. With these automakers on the cusp of launching so many new EV models, they must be ready to adapt their apps to owners’ needs and invest in improving the digital experience. If not, loyalty and retention are at risk.”

The expert benchmarking includes apps from the top 15 brands that sell EVs in the United States and Europe. For the inaugural study, 14 models were evaluated in the United States and 5 in Europe. In addition, almost 600 EV owners in the United States were surveyed in March 2021.

For more information about the Electric Vehicle Mobile App Study, visit https://www.jdpower.com/business/automotive/electric-vehicle-mobile-app-study.
based on other FordPass threads

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass among best EV apps according to J.D. Power study bait

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
LOLZ. FordPass is probably the single worst, most frustrating deficiency with the MME. And I love my MME, but FP remains a dumpster fire. Makes me question JDPower’s credibility even more than I already did.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
The HondaLink app is worse and has fewer features. I had to have several phone calls with Honda support to revive it when it quit working. I'm not sure there is a way to limit a charge to 90% with the Clarity. The odometer updated about once a month in the app. I have never even tried the app for the Nissan LEAF, the reviews kept me from trying it.

MichaelScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I don’t see that so much as praise of the FordPass app, but rather a scathing remark on the other apps out there.
For real. Especially considering the still-very-glitchy-despite-multiple-car-and-app-updates phone as key feature is part of the app.

LOLZ. FordPass is probably the single worst, most frustrating deficiency with the MME. And I love my MME, but FP remains a dumpster fire.
My feelings exactly

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
LOLZ. FordPass is probably the single worst, most frustrating deficiency with the MME. And I love my MME, but FP remains a dumpster fire. Makes me question JDPower’s credibility even more than I already did.
The most frustrating deficiency for me is that necessary controls for charging are not found in the car UI but in an app. I should never have to reach for my phone to change a setting or start a charge if I am sitting in the car.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Queen of the Pigs? LOL

I've used the GM apps and they seem much more solid to me, but that's one opinion not a survey of many opinions. It's also difficult to tease out issues relating to PAAK from the app.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
However, Tesla’s app is resonating well with the brand’s owners and, in terms of speed for remote control functions, the app still proves to be the industry’s benchmark.

Strange its not top.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The HondaLink app is worse and has fewer features. I had to have several phone calls with Honda support to revive it when it quit working. I'm not sure there is a way to limit a charge to 90% with the Clarity. The odometer updated about once a month in the app. I have never even tried the app for the Nissan LEAF, the reviews kept me from trying it.
Leaf app sucks too, also takes about a minute or longer for it to update each and every time.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Wow, everyone else’s app must really be bad. I do not have an MME yet but the FordPass app just did the weirdest thing to me. It was complaining that there was a recall on my Fusion so I scheduled a maintenance appointment through the app. After dropping my car off a little time passed and the dealer’s service agent called to tell me that all recall repairs have been performed on my VIN. I guess the servers used by service and the FordPass servers don’t communicate perfectly with one another. ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I was on the Apple discussion boards trying (futilely) to find some support, and you should have seen the BMW owners ripping their app (and online guides and concierges and everything else) to shreds! They truly despise their mobile app and the support they get from BMW.