Fordpass Android power drain -maddenly inconsistent

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
I posted in another thread that I though the recent update to Fordpass 3.35.2 on android solved the power drain problem. As it turn out - that statement is right some days and wrong other daysI Can you help me know why? (I have that same randomly right/wrong problem talking to my wife, but I don't expect this forum can help fix that)

Some days fordpass will have virtually no drain on my phone while running in the background. Other days it will turn my phone into a handwarmer, using 2-3% battery per hour running in the background and/or overloading the phone's processor (28% of CPU while in the background!)

I've tried, but cannot find a repeatable pattern of my behavior/use that triggers the overload problems. sometime it happens after merely walking near the MME with my phone, but not the FOB in my pocket. Sometimes it happens after using PaaK. But othertimes those same actions have no impact on phone battery use. And when Fordpass is in high-power use mode, restarting my phone will sometimes stop the overload, other times the overload starts again right after the phone restart.

I'm using a Samsung S10 on android 11.

Is there a pattern to this that I'm not seeing? Is there something to avoid doing if I don't want to kill my phone battery (besides using fordpass on my phone)?
Sponsored

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
I posted in another thread that I though the recent update to Fordpass 3.35.2 on android solved the power drain problem. As it turn out - that statement is right some days and wrong other daysI Can you help me know why? (I have that same randomly right/wrong problem talking to my wife, but I don't expect this forum can help fix that)

Some days fordpass will have virtually no drain on my phone while running in the background. Other days it will turn my phone into a handwarmer, using 2-3% battery per hour running in the background and/or overloading the phone's processor (28% of CPU while in the background!)

I've tried, but cannot find a repeatable pattern of my behavior/use that triggers the overload problems. sometime it happens after merely walking near the MME with my phone, but not the FOB in my pocket. Sometimes it happens after using PaaK. But othertimes those same actions have no impact on phone battery use. And when Fordpass is in high-power use mode, restarting my phone will sometimes stop the overload, other times the overload starts again right after the phone restart.

I'm using a Samsung S10 on android 11.

Is there a pattern to this that I'm not seeing? Is there something to avoid doing if I don't want to kill my phone battery (besides using fordpass on my phone)?
I have a S10+ and am seeing the same thing. Can't tell a pattern other than it getting worse these last couple weeks.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
S21 Ultra (12) and for the first time in six months of MME ownership started to experience this problem this week. I'm about to remove Paak again and not go back until it becomes reliable (if ever). Paak has been a POS this week. Not sure if that will solve my battery drain issue but I'm feed up with Paak.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It is happening to me also, exactly as you described. There are no location or power restrictions on the app, as required. Note 9, FP 3.35.2.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Mine has gone haywire the last week or so. It was great. No reboot, etc helps it.

Screenshot_20211230-161553.png

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm sure I'll get lambasted for saying this, but I have never had a problem with FP draining my battery because I don't use PaaK.

Just thought I'd mention it

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
I have found a pattern in that it is possibly likely to appear when and after the phone has had a bad network connection

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I've been running FordPass with the following configuration since Day 1:

Settings >> App >> FordPass >> Battery >> Restricted

My phone consistently reports "0% battery usage since last fully charged".

Power draw problem solved... I don't have PAAK set up yet.

If that time comes then I'll probably just have to open up the app if I want to authorize it to talk to the car.

I'm running a Galaxy S21 on Android 12

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
The last few weeks FP has drained my battery every couple days even when it's closed.

I've checked and rechecked settings, reset Paak 5-6 times to no avail.

I'm going back to the one fob and removing FP and re-installing so Paak is disabled.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Which is why you don't see the battery drain.
So I went ahead and set up PAAK. FordPass continues to draw 0% battery throughout the day. :cool:

To prevent battery drain, as stated above, go to your phone settings under:

PAAK will now only connect after I manually open the app. I'm happy with this solution since I prefer using the keyfob. I love that I can now use PAAK as a backup or if I want to open the front trunk or roll down the windows remotely.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
So I went ahead and set up PAAK. FordPass continues to draw 0% battery throughout the day. :cool:

PAAK will now only connect after I manually open the app. I'm happy with this solution since I prefer using the keyfob. I love that I can now use PAAK as a backup or if I want to open the front trunk or roll down the windows remotely.
Different Android phones, different settings. On mine it is AppInfo -> FordPass -> Battery -> Optimize.

I am not sure if this will help or not, but since I gave up on PaaK, now I am just trying to keep the app from killing my battery, same as you. The app does not kill the battery every day, and I am not sure what sets it off. I can go days without any issue, and then wham! Battery killed.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag

I like this idea. Just to clarify in this mode Paak with not function at all unless the app is open?

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I like this idea. Just to clarify in this mode Paak with not function at all unless the app is open?
Correct. PAAK now only works after I manually open the app. Once I completely close out of the app (including not running in the background) then PAAK ceases to function.

It might also be important to note that I'm running Android version 12.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Correct. PAAK now only works after I manually open the app. Once I completely close out of the app (including not running in the background) then PAAK ceases to function.

It might also be important to note that I'm running Android version 12.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm on 12 too.
Sponsored