Fordpass charging logistics: when will we know?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Now that the cars are actually starting to ship, seeing Tom Molougney's plug-and-charge session as well as his follow-on comments in this week's insidevs blog has once again got me thinking about the mysterious FordPass charging network and the procedure for actually using one's account for charging. Until now it has been premature to expect that info to come out, but now that the cars are shipping it feels like some information would be nice to have.

While EA supports the aforementioned "plug and charge", what happens if it doesn't work and the session doesn't initiate? Do we need to use EA's app to start the session or will Ford's app do that? What about other networks, particularly those that require fobs, NFC cards, or even credit cards? If we have a problem, is Ford frontline support or do we call the charger company and what credentials will they need?

I get that the owner's manual can't provide that level of detail, but since we are actually in "the information age" it seems like one ought to be able to easily access this kind of information by now. A brief googlefoo didn't return anything other than press releases and general EV charging information.
Sponsored

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Now that the cars are actually starting to ship, seeing Tom Molougney's plug-and-charge session as well as his follow-on comments in this week's insidevs blog has once again got me thinking about the mysterious FordPass charging network and the procedure for actually using one's account for charging. Until now it has been premature to expect that info to come out, but now that the cars are shipping it feels like some information would be nice to have.

While EA supports the aforementioned "plug and charge", what happens if it doesn't work and the session doesn't initiate? Do we need to use EA's app to start the session or will Ford's app do that? What about other networks, particularly those that require fobs, NFC cards, or even credit cards? If we have a problem, is Ford frontline support or do we call the charger company and what credentials will they need?

I get that the owner's manual can't provide that level of detail, but since we are actually in "the information age" it seems like one ought to be able to easily access this kind of information by now. A brief googlefoo didn't return anything other than press releases and general EV charging information.
My question is how do we know what apps, cards, or fobs we will need (in regards to charging stations)? If we pull up to a station and it’s not supported by FordPass, I’d hate to be left stranded or waste valuable time waiting to figure it all out. I’ve never had an EV before, so I’m generally clueless about all this.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The EA stations in my area have a pay at the pump feature that works like a regular fuel pump. So, you can just use your debit or credit card if the Plug and Charge feature doesnt work.

For something like EvGo, then you will need to swipe/scan their RFID card (which I keep in the owner's manual in the glove box). They probably have an app as well.

ChargePoint can use a phone app or RFID card to activate. It's fairly easy.

The Plug and Charge is going to be nice for EA facilities because their stations require a lot more steps to get the charge session started. Many times a phone call is necessary as well.

By contrast, the DCFC stations by ChargrPoint and EvGo will initiate very quick and easy with their methods so the fully automatic method will only save about 10-15 seconds of time in the end.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
The EA stations in my area have a pay at the pump feature that works like a regular fuel pump. So, you can just use your debit or credit card if the Plug and Charge feature doesnt work.

For something like EvGo, then you will need to swipe/scan their RFID card (which I keep in the owner's manual in the glove box). They probably have an app as well.

The Plug and Charge is going to be nice for EA facilities because their stations require a lot more steps to get the charge session started. Many times a phone call is necessary as well.

By contrast, the DCFC stations by ChargrPoint and EvGo will initiate very quick and easy with their methods so the fully automatic method will only save about 10-15 seconds of time in the end.
How do you get an RFID card, just go to their websites and order one? Do they mail it to you?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My question is how do we know what apps, cards, or fobs we will need (in regards to charging stations)? If we pull up to a station and it’s not supported by FordPass, I’d hate to be left stranded or waste valuable time waiting to figure it all out. I’ve never had an EV before, so I’m generally clueless about all this.
I recommend you scout your area for the DCFC facilities available to you and then set up an account with each. It should be no cost to open an account and you only pay when you use them to charge. That way you are ready to go if the need arises.

If you have AC Level 2 at home or work then you will rarely use DCFC so just keep the cards with your car or load the app on your phone. Either will work.

You dont need an account with EA. That is pay at the pump type of transaction. If Plug and Pay functions at your EA station of choice then it will be more convenient then whipping out your debit/credit card like at a normal fuel pump.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Well of course you could always do an experiment.

The Ford Pass App wil let you search for chargers regardless of if you have a Mach-E or not. See if you can initiate a charge from the app? (You might need to be close to the charger for that to work. Looking at a local EVGo charger to me the app says to call EVGo..interesting.)

How do you get an RFID card, just go to their websites and order one? Do they mail it to you?
For Charepoint you log onto their website, create an account, and order one or more cards. Chargepoint does want you to have some $$ in your "account" to charge against (when I signed up years ago it was $25).

I think I also have an EVGo card which worked similarly (don't remember if I had to deposit anything there--I think it depends on which plan you select).

I say "think" because I don't remember all the cards sitting in my armrest in the Bolt LOL. The one that gets used the most is the Costco card LOL.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Those who got Chargepoint home charger, are all set, as log as you enabled NFC on your phone.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yep. I have 3 cards in my glove box. Blink, EvGo and ChargePoint. I never bothered setting up an EA account because they have a monthly fee even if I dont use their stations so I just use the pay as you go method. I think you avoid the $1 session fee if you have an account. Maybe a lower rate per electron as well....??

Since I rarely use DCFC, it doesnt make sense to pay for the EA account. Ford is going to give us a trial period to their FordPass Plug and Pay feature. I bet most users will find very little value and choose not to continue the subscription when it comes time to pay out of pocket.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Those who got Chargepoint home charger, are all set, as log as you enabled NFC on your phone.
Yes. Good point. It is super easy and works for their AC L2 stations as well.....such as when visiting my daughter at her apartment complex...

Reactions: DBC
OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Hang on guys. The WHOLE POINT of the "Fordpass Charging Network" is to have ONE bill to pay and ONE account that you can use to charge in lots of places. Ford's nav system will only direct you to those chargers in the FCN (it's actually a setting) so you SHOULD be OK. At least, that's how Ford has been presenting it. The idea is that you are NOT supposed to need fobs and accounts with a bunch of different networks; just your Fordpass Account SHOULD suffice. However, since the chargers natively may require those things then how will it work? That's the central point I was trying to make.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hang on guys. The WHOLE POINT of the "Fordpass Charging Network" is to have ONE bill to pay and ONE account that you can use to charge in lots of places. Ford's nav system will only direct you to those chargers in the FCN (it's actually a setting) so you SHOULD be OK. At least, that's how Ford has been presenting it. The idea is that you are NOT supposed to need fobs and accounts with a bunch of different networks; just your Fordpass Account SHOULD suffice. However, since the chargers natively may require those things then how will it work? That's the central point I was trying to make.
Many DCFC stations are not capable of accepting payment via the plug and pay method. It is a relatively new protocol that did not exist prior to a couple years ago. So limiting your DCFC choices to only those in network could be problematic.....especially on a road trip. In town, no real issue that I can see.....other than the fact that one rarely needs to DCFC in town.

Reactions: DBC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
FCN is a marketing thing designed to make people feel more comfortable going electric. It is merely a convenience for those instances where a user is attempting to fast charge at one of the newer facilities.

Most users are still going to want to set up accounts with the various providers as a back up plan. If the current state of Ford Pass app is a clue as to what to expect.....then I dont expect the Plug and Play feature to be very reliable. It didnt work when we tried to charge the MME at EA in Oct.....I had to swipe my credit card to initiate the session. ?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yup that is what Ford has been advertising: You don't need an armrest full of cards.

Many DCFC stations are not capable of accepting payment via the plug and pay method. It is a relatively new protocol that did not exist prior to a couple years ago. So limiting your DCFC choices to only those in network could be problematic.....especially on a road trip. In town, no real issue that I can see.....other than the fact that one rarely needs to DCFC in town.
Plug and charge/pay isn't the only thing Ford has been saying. They have also been saying that you should be able to start a charge at any charger on the network using the Ford Pass app.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yup that is what Ford has been advertising: You don't need an armrest full of cards.

Plug and charge/pay isn't the only thing Ford has been saying. They have also been saying that you should be able to start a charge at any charger on the network using the Ford Pass app.
Oh okay. Wasnt aware of that.
I have very little expectations from the Ford Pass app and actually uninstalled it from my phone because it keeps running down my battery. So far it has been a major disappoint to me because I was expecting an improvement to MyFordMobile.....which is pretty nice IMO.
Sponsored