Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The main reason for the special Hyundai deal is that the kona is 2 kw over the lower tier limit, which sucks. So basically it says a 77 kw car can get the 75 kw price
Yeah, that is a bad quirk in how it happens to fit with EA's pricing.

I wonder if "max charge rate" is a configurable option for the driver? That would solve these tier-rate pricing issues. Same way with the Mach-e. 150 kw isn't that much faster than 124 kw (the EA middle tier price). And it probably doesn't accept 150 for more than 8-10 minutes anyway before ratcheting down.

Last edited:

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
So basically it says a 77 kw car can get the 75 kw price
You'd think Hyundai would fix that, easy enough to tell the car 75kWh only so it doesn't jump the car into the 150kWh rate.

OP

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
You'd think Hyundai would fix that, easy enough to tell the car 75kWh only so it doesn't jump the car into the 150kWh rate.
To channel a bit of Michael Bolton from Office Space; "Why should the Kona have to change its charge rate when EA is the one that sucks?"

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
"Why should the Kona have to change its charge rate when EA is the one that sucks?"
Why should EA and other EV users have slower charging to accomodate one car which can easily change its charging signature to the benefit of the EV owner might be the better question?

What issues do you have with EA. They’ve been a lifesaver for me offering 50kW/200 mph in a pinch.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's not a flaw with the car that needs "fixing".

Now, suggesting that they offer a user-configurable setting to cap the charge rate is fine. But it's not a flaw that requires a "fix" just because one charging service chooses to price their tiers a certain way.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
It's not a flaw with the car that needs "fixing".
Not a flaw but a setting to be fixed that greatly benefits Kona EV owners.

In CA, all public chargers are required to charge by kWh delivered vs. time so hopefully other states will follow CA's lead

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not a flaw but a setting to be fixed that greatly benefits Kona EV owners.

In CA, all public chargers are required to charge by kWh delivered vs. time so hopefully other states will follow CA's lead
"Fixed" is still the wrong word. For something to need fixing, it needs to be broken. It's not. This would simply be a helpful feature to add, should they choose to add it.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicles
1999 Mercedes 320E. 2003 Passat Wagon, just finished lease of 2017 Audi A3 Enron
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately it's WILL be required. Applies to new installations 2021 onward, and for DC fast chargers from 2023.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
Unfortunately it's WILL be required
I contacted our local EV Owners association to lobby for the per kWh charging as CA has implemented and he told me that OR EV Owners lobbied AGAINST it. Just left the conversation at that point. Guess I won't be joining them.

Last edited:

FredT

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicles
1999 Mercedes 320E. 2003 Passat Wagon, just finished lease of 2017 Audi A3 Enron
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I contacted out local EV Owners association to lobby for the per kWh charging as CA has implemented and he told me that OR EV Owners lobbied AGAINST it. Just left the conversation at that point. Guess I won't be joining them.
EV owners? :oops:

OP

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Why should EA and other EV users have slower charging to accomodate one car which can easily change its charging signature to the benefit of the EV owner might be the better question?

What issues do you have with EA. They’ve been a lifesaver for me offering 50kW/200 mph in a pinch.
I've no issues with EA. Kona Electric drivers do. EA's pricing structure is definitely the worst game of "gotcha" for Kona owners but it is what it is. Good on the two companies to figure it out though.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
EA's pricing structure is definitely the worst game of "gotcha" for Kona owners but it is what it is.
EA did not have Kona EV owners in mind, it is a VW operation and built for how they setup their EV's which Ford wisely followed and partnered with. Tesla's baseline chargers are 150s as are EA's. For the Kona owners, they can charge at the EA 50kWs if they want to save money or charge at 77kW and pay a higher rate.

I'll charge at the 60kW's. It works fine a 200mph. Kona could easy adjust to match the charging system and it would make their produce more attractive.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
EV owners?
Preguntas?

Saw them at the Auto show when I went to see the Mach-E. Was surprised they were against per kWh pricing.

OP

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
For the Kona owners, they can charge at the EA 50kWs if they want to save money or charge at 77kW and pay a higher rate.
Nope. That's no longer a rational option (not to mention, EA 50kW chargers aren't at their cross country stations).

This is the better choice for them. You should be thrilled at their fortune and hope that Ford works out a similarly advantageous deal for Mach-E owners.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition (Ordered)
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I would guess that something special will happen. For example concerning Sync. Sync I think is free for 1 or 2 years. However every time you buy another ford say a second car it automatically renews all of your other Fords. In short I have never paid for Sync since I have 4 fords and trade 1 in every 3 years. I would imagine that EA might work the same way or Ford will do something. Remember Ford is staking it’s entire future on electric cars. Ford WILL make it a better deal then Tesla. I recently read an article that of the reservations something like 60% have never owned a ford previously. That is MAJOR dollars. EA will be a key to not just attract new sales but steal it from the competition