TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The main reason for the special Hyundai deal is that the kona is 2 kw over the lower tier limit, which sucks. So basically it says a 77 kw car can get the 75 kw price
Yeah, that is a bad quirk in how it happens to fit with EA's pricing.

I wonder if "max charge rate" is a configurable option for the driver? That would solve these tier-rate pricing issues. Same way with the Mach-e. 150 kw isn't that much faster than 124 kw (the EA middle tier price). And it probably doesn't accept 150 for more than 8-10 minutes anyway before ratcheting down.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
To channel a bit of Michael Bolton from Office Space; "Why should the Kona have to change its charge rate when EA is the one that sucks?"

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's not a flaw with the car that needs "fixing".

Now, suggesting that they offer a user-configurable setting to cap the charge rate is fine. But it's not a flaw that requires a "fix" just because one charging service chooses to price their tiers a certain way.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"Fixed" is still the wrong word. For something to need fixing, it needs to be broken. It's not. This would simply be a helpful feature to add, should they choose to add it.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately it's WILL be required. Applies to new installations 2021 onward, and for DC fast chargers from 2023.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've no issues with EA. Kona Electric drivers do. EA's pricing structure is definitely the worst game of "gotcha" for Kona owners but it is what it is. Good on the two companies to figure it out though.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Nope. That's no longer a rational option (not to mention, EA 50kW chargers aren't at their cross country stations).

This is the better choice for them. You should be thrilled at their fortune and hope that Ford works out a similarly advantageous deal for Mach-E owners.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I would guess that something special will happen. For example concerning Sync. Sync I think is free for 1 or 2 years. However every time you buy another ford say a second car it automatically renews all of your other Fords. In short I have never paid for Sync since I have 4 fords and trade 1 in every 3 years. I would imagine that EA might work the same way or Ford will do something. Remember Ford is staking it’s entire future on electric cars. Ford WILL make it a better deal then Tesla. I recently read an article that of the reservations something like 60% have never owned a ford previously. That is MAJOR dollars. EA will be a key to not just attract new sales but steal it from the competition
Sponsored