FordPass & PAAK use cancelled unless you give away ALL personal and real-time driving data ?!

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
We agreed to the FordPass/PAAK terms the first time we set it up, and would have had to acknowledge that these terms may change, and a new opt-in required to continue using FordPass/PAAK (there is a section in the document which indicates this).

FWIW, I don't see anything concerning in the updated TOS. Data sharing language seems fairly standard.

Many of the car's features require cloud services. In order for those services to function, data is a requirement. For e.g. given what we know about changes to the GOM in recent updates, sharing telemetric data was required in order to make that work. We don't know what improvements are in store, it's quite possible that whatever is coming requires better data quality.

For those that would prefer disconnected remote services based on RF, that should still be an option. Aftermarket remote start devices have existed for ages. Personally, I prefer the data based approach because it dramatically increases the scope of functionality beyond just remote start. But, if we were to just roll with that feature; using data services means that I don't need to be within RF range of the car to trigger remote start. Great use case for this is I can make the car warm up as I'm leaving the movie theater, on one side of the mall, and walk the 5-10 min to the car where it's plugged into a Volta charger...
Sponsored

dal

First Name
DAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Kudos for reading the TOS, I’m guessing most people don’t even try.
I agreed by accident. California has stricter protection. Wish this were more universal

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
It certainly does. But I am pissed off about it because it is requiring me to give up functionality that was present when I bought the car

It seems like Ford is changing the terms of ownership after the fact to say that you must pay to play, and you must allow them to capture and sell personal data as they see fit and you must update hardware and software to match their software? Seems ridiculous

I don't care if I get a single additional software update. But I do not want to sign away my rights to my data to continue driving my car with all the functionality it came with when I bought it
The function PAAK didn’t come with the car. It came with the Ford Pass app. Your phone is already tracking you. It knows where you are and where you went and it’s readily available to those who care, which no one really does. But it’s your choice.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The function PAAK didn’t come with the car. It came with the Ford Pass app. Your phone is already tracking you. It knows where you are and where you went and it’s readily available to those who care, which no one really does. But it’s your choice.
the thing that annoys me is that the in-vehicle Sync screen Settings show the ability to toggle certain exports on/off, and the FordPass TOS basically says 'we don't care whether you've got your Privacy Settings OFF, we can aggregate or combine your driving data and use it however we want.'

My objection is that when I bought the MME, and started using FordPass, I had reasonable expectations that the MME Privacy settings actually were functional and would not export selected types of data.... and certainly not combine with name, address, email, and other personal identification.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
so.... my version of FordPass (v.4.21.0) is telling me it is obsolete, and I MUST update and accept. But, PAAK is still working fine even though I never reah the home screen and do not have any FordPass functionality, so I'm ignoring it for now.....
Sponsored