FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
About 14.3 V to 15.0 V is what I have been seeing for DC-DC converter 12 V rail voltage (just an observation). My 12 V low voltage battery (LVB) has been low recently, and I am about half way through cycling with a Clore Automotive Intelligent Battery Charger/Maintainer. First indications are improved power off 12V LVB terminal voltage, but I need to re-check some hours after the charger is disconnected.

Also, I just got the FordPass Update Successful green bar (FE, Dec. 2020 build) a day or two ago, which is interesting, because I had already updated everything by FDRS, to no further updates available.

I think @Mach-Lee 's informative post, How to Recondition/Service Your 12V Battery, is turning out to be really timely, and for whatever reason, there might be another 12 V LVB problem on the horizon. It is possible that some or most of these 12V LVB might be restored to good health by following his guidance.

I will go check now and see if I have any dtcs, or modules showing updates ready.
Good point. I should review that thread. My LVB might need some assistance taking a charge.

I drove off a short while ago and after 3 or 4 minutes when I came to a stoplight I thought to check the voltage and it was 14.4. Looked down again as I was ramping onto the freeway was 13.4 and while on the freeway 12.9.

Park and turn off the car reads 12.47 which doesn't seem too bad. I had the door open and I presume modules are still powered up at that point so voltage seems okay at rest.

Maybe a little low while driving though????

I am told that AGM batteries are a bit difficult to charge at times. I wonder if there is any truth there....?

20211111_131611.jpg
Sponsored

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So, FDRS is up to Ver. 30.5.1. After updating (who knows, maybe nothing new for MME), I ran a check of all modules and was advised that I might need to do TSB 21-2245 Loss of Power, Stop Safely ... But after I cleared all dtcs and reran the test, everything was in the green, all modules up to date.

I have not seen any warnings when driving, although I have not driven much the last few days.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. Screenshot (49)
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. Screenshot (51)

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So, FDRS is up to Ver. 30.5.1. After updating (who knows, maybe nothing new for MME), I ran a check of all modules and was advised that I might need to do TSB 21-2245 Loss of Power, Stop Safely ... But after I cleared all dtcs and reran the test, everything was in the green, all modules up to date.

I have not seen any warnings when driving, although I have not driven much the last few days.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. Screenshot (51)
That looks just like what the tech showed me this morning. I don't remember seeing a reference to the TSB but it was in the bright sunlight so hard to see everything. He cleared codes, ran self test and all green so he seemed happy with that.

I just looked in PTS and yeah, I see the references to a few things. My view is different. Not as much detail as what you get....

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 1636667210780

Expand line 27...
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 1636667435305

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 1636667517891

Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 1636667557149

The second self test was all green.

So, I have been watching my 12v meter.
I see 14.2ish as soon as the car powers up. Sits there for less than 30 seconds and falls to 13.4 ish. As soon as I am driving it falls to 12.9 ish. Come to a stop and it goes back to 13.4 ish.
I never see anything approaching or above 14v unless I turn off the car and restart.

Interesting......

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
So are OTA updates still being sent out, or should I just have them done when I go to get the windshield & glass roof checks done?

Was really hoping the OTA system updates would work..............

Jim

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
I once got a bunch of alerts via the app that didn't show up in the car (basically saying everything was broken). My wife had moved it a short distance and my phone went crazy. Never happened again. I assumed maybe I got someone else's alerts, but who knows. Only happened once a few months back. There are certainly some gremlins they're working out...

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So are OTA updates still being sent out, or should I just have them done when I go to get the windshield & glass roof checks done?

Was really hoping the OTA system updates would work..............

Jim
I think they are still going out but you can turn it off in the car if you want. Even looks like there is a way to schedule them yourself.....check the Sync screen for more info. It sounds like the dealer can install them as well. Not 100% sure about that though.

Kinda sounds like the missing piece of the puzzle is some sort of reboot that is needed before they let us drive the car. Or maybe some way to keep the 12v battery fully charged so we don't get what happened to me this morning. Or maybe both. ????

When all the alerts were going off in my car the voltage reading was 12 something so that shouldn't cause these issues. The Ford modules used to like at least 10v to function but the WSM for this car says they now need at least 9v if I remember correctly.

I have been driving my car around today quite a bit and it seems totally normal. I think the solution in my case was to pull over, shut down the car, wait about 5 minutes and power it back up.
Next few days to a week will be the true test. If something is really wrong with the car and it's not related to the OTA at all then my symptoms should return. If not, then I can only conclude that the OTA caused the issue. Car has been pretty good for 22k miles so far. It would be a strange coincidence that all this happened at the same exact time that FordPass said the update was successful.

If I am not mistaken........there have been multiple reports of the OTA showing as received in SYNC but not in FordPass or FP is showing the update failed and attempting again. This leads me to believe that Sync recognizes the download has completed but perhaps not yet installed. The last step in the installation process might be a notification is sent to FordPass along with a Self Test. The internal Self Test might be different than the FDRS Self Test and the problem might be with that difference. Just speculating of course. Only the software people at Ford know how this really works. Even the tech at my dealer is guessing.......however he seemed to be learning the hard was along with the rest of us.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
AWD OFF warning is interesting
There were a few other interesting ones as well. I can't remember them all. They were coming at me like flash cards. :)

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My MME has has some similar messages lately. It's still on 1.4. But it has the front being replaced at the dealer this week.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I received 1.7.1 update today, will look out for any error messages.
Hopefully there won't be any errors.

I have been watching the low voltage readings. 14.4v all the way home last night (about 22 miles).
This morning I started the car and the reading was 14.4v for the first 5 min of my drive and then would cycle around between 13.4 and 12.9 and the occasional 14.4. Most common reading I've seen while driving is 13.4 and 12.9 volts. I presume that is normal operation since the vehicle performed normally with no issues at all?

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
Hopefully there won't be any errors.

I have been watching the low voltage readings. 14.4v all the way home last night (about 22 miles).
This morning I started the car and the reading was 14.4v for the first 5 min of my drive and then would cycle around between 13.4 and 12.9 and the occasional 14.4. Most common reading I've seen while driving is 13.4 and 12.9 volts. I presume that is normal operation since the vehicle performed normally with no issues at all?
Your original post has me somewhat concerned about my planned trip next week (1500 miles). I'm one of those "not quite finished 1.71 power-ups", says I have it, but no notes or other function and no Fordpass notice. Now I hope it doesn't update until after my trip.

With that said, I started watching my 12V battery voltage. ~12.4V when "off". 14.7 while "idling", and constant 14.6 while driving last night and this morning. Zero variation during acceleration and stops.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I hesitated to throw myself in this post as it is only kinda related, but my car has seemingly lost its mind a couple of times since 1.7.1 (or my last dealer visit, not really sure).

First time, the blend door stopped responding. It was barely blowing any air anywhere and just squealing. Ignored all commands. Restart fixed it.

Second time, it went truly haywire. Started with the no adaptive cruise warning, then rear assist, then parking assist, and a couple of others. Again, restart seems to have fixed it all.

Today, it decided to half start. Pressed the button, screens came alive like it was started, shifter was locked out. Pressed the start again, shifter started working, info screen asked if I wanted to turn off the motion sensors. It was all out of sync.

In my case, I have both a brand new HVB and LVB. Who knows, but is has gremlins....

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Your original post has me somewhat concerned about my planned trip next week (1500 miles). I'm one of those "not quite finished 1.71 power-ups", says I have it, but no notes or other function and no Fordpass notice. Now I hope it doesn't update until after my trip.

With that said, I started watching my 12V battery voltage. ~12.4V when "off". 14.7 while "idling", and constant 14.6 while driving last night and this morning. Zero variation during acceleration and stops.
Well that is encouraging for you then. Perhaps my LVB is weak and the OTA exposed it. Your LVB sounds spot on so you should be good for your trip. I wouldn't worry too much about it because if you do get those warning messages then just pull over and park long enough for the modules to reset and then you should be okay to continue on. 5 minutes should do it.
Sponsored