AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Don't follow a single thing except the common sense tire pressures.

Never gets cold here in sunny So Cal....
When I visit in December people wear jackets, pullovers, etc. guess they’re worried about sunburn? 😛

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Your car will periodically wake up and charge your 12V battery when it reaches 40% SoC (about every 4 hours if you have no extra loads). It will do this whether or not you are plugged in, if not plugged in the energy will be pulled from the HVB which you wish to maximize.

I just looked and my two wall chargers (dumb Tesla and smarter Juicebox) have used 0.09 kWh since midnight (it is now noon so 0.18 kWh per day). This is pennies per day and is dwarfed by the energy used to charge the two MMEs in the garage so it is rounding error to me.

I don't plug in except to charge but I am not parked outside in the freezing temps and do not have a commute. If you want the max out of the HVB and climate system then by all means stay plugged in and enjoy the benefits without feeling guilty.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Your car will periodically wake up and charge your 12V battery when it reaches 40% SoC (about every 4 hours if you have no extra loads).
If you car is doing this, I think you have a problem. The LVB should not be draining to 40% every four hours unless you have an extra load. If you don't, that seems like a problem you should investigate.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
#5 Turning off heat while DCFC - On newer firmwares the car will automatically limit your cabin heat the first few minutes of DCFC while the battery is warming up, so this might be outdated. The cabin heat will automatically come back after the battery is warm enough, so just be patient.

Your car will periodically wake up and charge your 12V battery when it reaches 40% SoC (about every 4 hours if you have no extra loads). It will do this whether or not you are plugged in, if not plugged in the energy will be pulled from the HVB which you wish to maximize.
Something is very wrong with your car if it has to wake up to charge the 12V battery every 4 hours. You have some kind of abnormal drain. Mine never wakes up while parked, even when parked for days.

VN210

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CR1, F-150 Lightning Pro (ordered 8/13/22)
Country flag
My wife refused to put the PHEV we had into reserve mode on the highway so it didn't use battery until she exited for local driving, thereby killing the efficiency. Such is life.
Maybe my math is off but I would
Imagine regardless it’s less efficient on highway it’s still cheaper to run on battery compared to gas. For NJ at least.

Fordmaybe

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
And for the record, I'm not at all obsessive about any of this. We just hit a streak of ~20F degree nights here in NH, so the mornings are cold. However, I park the car in a garage that essentially never goes below freezing. I set departure times for my comfort more than battery conditioning. Honestly, the cabin, seats and steering wheel heat up so quickly, I may not even keep up with that. Lastly, my average daily drive is around 30 miles, maybe 40 with extra errands. I could lose 60% of my range and still go for days without charging. Life is good.
I do about 80 miles daily and yes use departure times and it helps improve Miles per Kw in the cold NH mornings. If I’m cold I turn the heat on. The cost to be warm out weights being cold I just leave it in auto if it comes on so be it.

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
If you car is doing this, I think you have a problem. The LVB should not be draining to 40% every four hours unless you have an extra load. If you don't, that seems like a problem you should investigate.
The person is saying the car wakes up to check the 12v status every four hours, not that the 12v drains every 4 hours...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anything left plugged into a socket draws current no? I don't leave my Ford Mobile charger plugged into my NEMA socket when I'm not using it for example.
Actually, that adds potential wear on the NEMA 14-50; if you don't have an industrial grade outlet you should get one (this was a recommendation from a highly placed Ford engineer about a year and a half ago). If you insist on powering down your EVSE it might be better to just flip the breaker. The majority leave their EVSE plugged in as the amount of current the electronics use while sitting idle is minimal - no worse than leaving a USB wallwart plugged in. If one has a "smart" EVSE with WiFi it will use a little more.

Regardless, my comment was directed toward the typical user who leaves the EVSE plugged in/connected all the time and might assume that by plugging the J1772 into the car it will continuously draw current from the EVSE. At least, that is what your comment seemed to suggest so I replied.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The person is saying the car wakes up to check the 12v status every four hours, not that the 12v drains every 4 hours...
I think you need to read the post again, especially this part: "Your car will periodically wake up and charge your 12V battery when it reaches 40% SoC (about every 4 hours if you have no extra loads)." He is saying his car's LVB reaches 40% SoC every four hours. That is a problem.

It could be he is monitoring his LVB using an OBDII scanner, because when you do that it drains the LVB to about 40% every four hours (if I remember correctly when I did that). But that is because there are modules running in the car to report back to the scanner, and that is what is draining the battery.

But it doesn't happen when the scanner is not connected. There should be no measurable LVB drain over four hours, unless he has a problem, or unless something exterior is draining it.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think you need to read the post again, especially this part: "Your car will periodically wake up and charge your 12V battery when it reaches 40% SoC (about every 4 hours if you have no extra loads)." He is saying his car's LVB reaches 40% SoC every four hours. That is a problem.

It could be he is monitoring his LVB using an OBDII scanner, because when you do that it drains the LVB to about 40% every four hours (if I remember correctly when I did that). But that is because there are modules running in the car to report back to the scanner, and that is what is draining the battery.

But it doesn't happen when the scanner is not connected. There should be no measurable LVB drain over four hours, unless he has a problem, or unless something exterior is draining it.
Mike, I think he's the guy that wired a RaspberryPi into the CAN bus and wrote a custom app for EV data collection. So yeah, his vehicle never sleeps.

RodMachE

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem22 - ER
Country flag
That's the key to EV success.

Ford sending out RECOMMENDATIONS is a way to inform the uninformed. Of course a significant number of owners probably can't even navigate to the message...

There are many car owners, both ICE and EV, that are totally clueless. One of my son's early girlfriends ran her car dry of oil. When she told him this, he asked "didn't you know it needs to be checked regularly?" and her answer was "I didn't even know it used oil, nor how to open the hood". Note I said "early girlfriends"...

People go on trips and complain about 12 hour charging, because they went to a level 2 charger. People complain their battery is defective. And so on.

My wife refused to put the PHEV we had into reserve mode on the highway so it didn't use battery until she exited for local driving, thereby killing the efficiency. Such is life.
😀😀😀😀😀😀 “early girlfriends” …….
Sponsored