ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2020/07/pericak-brings-mach-e-to-mocsem.html

There was a spirited Q&A session that followed...

JUL 30, 2020 | PHOTOS COURTESY SHAD KANYAK / MOCSEM
FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E
Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 1596115973604

DEARBORN, Mich. -- Members of the Mustang Owners Club of SouthEastern Michigan (MOCSEM) were treated to a very special meeting earlier this year. Ford’s Dave Pericak dropped by. Most Mustangers and club members know who Pericak is, but for those who don't, Dave was the Chief Engineer for the S550 Mustang and is currently Ford's Global Director of Icons. That means he's responsible for vehicles such as Mustang, Raptor, Bronco and the Ford GT.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 003%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM
Club sponsors will sometimes host a MOCSEM membership meeting on-site, and back in January Gateway Classic Cars in Dearborn offered up some of its showroom space for the club to hold one of its monthly meetings there. MOCSEM is known for inviting guest speakers for its meetings from all over the world of Ford, so club president Mike Rey as asked Pericak if there was any way he could stop in if only for a few minutes to say hello to members in attendance at the Dearborn venue. Being the enthusiast that he is, Pericak did just that. He made a surprise appearance at the meeting and walked up to the Directors Table, where Rey handed him the microphone to loud applause.

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 1596115973604

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 003%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 004%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

Dave spoke to the group about his career at Ford and how he progressed to where he's at today, but then moved on to the topic everyone was waiting for -- the Ford Mustang. After getting folks excited about the new Shelby GT500, Dave then shifted gears and began talking about the latest addition to the Mustang brand family, the upcoming Mustang Mach-E. While some club members are Mustang purists when it comes to their beloved pony car, they listened intently to Dave’s explanation of why Ford decided to brand its all-new EV as a Mustang.

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 006%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

"When we realized how good we were going to be able to make this product, we said, 'What if we made it a Mustang’?” Pericak told the club. “The day that we finally decided we were going to make it a Mustang, Bill [Ford] went around the room and he asked each and every one of us, ‘Are we going to do this? And if we're going to do it, are we going to do it right?’ And we all agreed that we were.”

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 005%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

Of course, when the topic of performance was brought up, Pericak was excited to respond. “The Mach-E powertrain is state-of-the-art,” he said. “The GT version will deliver some 460 horsepower and over 600 foot pounds of torque . . . and you don't wait for it.”

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 007%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

When members voiced concern the Mustang name is on an SUV, Pericak countered with, “It's not an SUV. It looks like one, but dynamically it's not one.” But when pushed about why make an electric four-door Mustang, Dave spoke with passion:

“What was important to us as a company as we introduce our first real ground-up BEV, was that we do it in a way that no one else could do it,” he said. “No one else can do a Mustang. And the EV is where the future is at; when you look at the regulations that are upon us from the government and everything else that we must deal with, we're not going to meet those regulations if we don't figure out a way how not to rely entirely on internal combustion engines.”

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 008%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

There was a spirited Q&A session that followed, with a Board member who drives a modded GT500 challenging Pericak to a drag race against a Mach-E. Pericak smiled and said, “You’d be surprised – better be careful of what you wish for.” And when one member suggested that he saw the move as the beginning of a Ford shift away from the Mustang, Pericak shook his head.

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 009%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

“The company is dedicated to keeping Mustang alive,” he assured the crowd. “This doesn’t mean we don’t love building Mustangs like the GT500. But with new regulations upon us -- and very difficult ones, to be sure -- if we don't start figuring out how to offset some of that CO2 that we put out with cars like the GT500, we won't be making GT500's long into the future.”

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 012%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

As a buzz came across the audience, Pericak said to the MOCSEM members, “You have my commitment -- you will be proud of this machine!”

Then he delivered the biggest surprise of the night: “In fact,” he said, “why don’t you all stand up and head over into the adjoining showroom – I drove a Mach-E here, and I want you all to see it in person!”

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 013%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

The crowd of over 200 members in attendance got out of their chairs and walked around the corner to the showroom area where a prototype Mach-E had been driven and parked. They crowded around the Mach-E and got the chance to check it out up-close. They were able to touch it, sit in it, and even try out some of the infotainment features. Even those not in favor of naming it a Mustang were impressed with the Mach-E.

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 015%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

Dave finally hopped in, started it up in silence and drove the Mach-E out of the Gateway showroom door and off into the night so that the MOCSEM Board could finish its meeting. All had agreed – even people with the strongest opinions on the Mach-E – that it’s a credit to Ford and Pericak himself that he took the time to share his and Ford's vision for the Mustang with the club in person. For all who were there, it was a perfect example of the strong connection that Ford has with its enthusiasts, and of the tangible benefits that come with a MOCSEM membership.

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 017%20-%20Mach-E%20at%20MOCSEM

Last edited by a moderator:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When members voiced concern the Mustang name is on an SUV, Pericak countered with, “It's not an SUV. It looks like one, but dynamically it's not one.”
To me it's the reverse... It's the looks were it captures most of the Mustang cues. Functionally it's more like an SUV (actually CUV).

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
I do apologize to them for the four door CUV since their ardent love of the car kept the Mustang alive. So I hope they are happy when the Mach E leads to a Mustang with the performance of a Tesla Roadster at a fraction of the cost...what would be more Mustang than that?

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Interesting pre production model. I love the black lower front grille. Gets rid of the awkward smile for me

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
To me it's the reverse... It's the looks were it captures most of the Mustang cues. Functionally it's more like an SUV (actually CUV).
Right, but you haven't driven one yet. I think what he means by "dynamically" is that it feels like you're driving a sports car because it accelerates/handles/reacts like a sports car - or at least the MME GT will. Hopefully the slower ones feel sporty as well.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No masking or social distancing at that meeting! ?
"Club sponsors will sometimes host a MOCSEM membership meeting on-site, and back in January Gateway Classic Cars in Dearborn offered up some of its showroom space for the club to hold one of its monthly meetings there."

Johnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Buick Enclave
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
"Club sponsors will sometimes host a MOCSEM membership meeting on-site, and back in January Gateway Classic Cars in Dearborn offered up some of its showroom space for the club to hold one of its monthly meetings there."
Then why is this news today??

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Interesting pre production model. I love the black lower front grille. Gets rid of the awkward smile for me
I remember seeing photos of this one in some of the early promo. I liked it better than the body-painted lower fascia. Some suggested it was an incorrect rendering but it was clearly a one-off prototype pattern that they decided against. Shame.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E Red-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-4

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I remember seeing photos of this one in some of the early promo. I liked it better than the body-painted lower fascia. Some suggested it was an incorrect rendering but it was clearly a one-off prototype pattern that they decided against. Shame.
Red-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-4.jpg
I agree that it looks much better with the black lower fascia. I wonder if Ford ultimately opted for body color to protect the GT front as being the more distinctive and aggressive.

Ford Mustang Mach-E FORD'S DAVE PERICAK VISITS MUSTANG CLUB MEETING - DRIVING A MACH-E 1596203533894

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Right, but you haven't driven one yet. I think what he means by "dynamically" is that it feels like you're driving a sports car because it accelerates/handles/reacts like a sports car - or at least the MME GT will. Hopefully the slower ones feel sporty as well.
Electric power will always have more of a "sporty" feeling at acceleration than a normal gasoline engine with the same specs because the electric motor torque is instant at zero revolutions, while an engine need to be over idle to generate torque. This is why my heavy (4,000 lb) Fusion Hybrid with its electric traction motor (its main power source, BTW) can out accelerate normal and lighter four cylinder engine cars at traffic lights. I can even chirp the tires! Yet I get better MPG than any of those gassers, too.

So all Mach-E owners, from the Select to the GT, can expect the best acceleration and handling of a sports car because Ford designed it as so!. We Ford Hybrid owners are presently enjoying it!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Electric power will always have more of a "sporty" feeling at acceleration than a normal gasoline engine with the same specs because the electric motor torque is instant at zero revolutions, while an engine need to be over idle to generate torque. This is why my heavy (4,000 lb) Fusion Hybrid with its electric traction motor (its main power source, BTW) can out accelerate normal and lighter four cylinder engine cars at traffic lights. I can even chirp the tires! Yet I get better MPG than any of those gassers, too.

So all Mach-E owners, from the Select to the GT, can expect the best acceleration and handling of a sports car because Ford designed it as so!. We Ford Hybrid owners are presently enjoying it!
Not exactly the track star at 8 seconds 0-60.

The C-Max Energi is a little quicker at 7.6 seconds.

Honestly when I drove the C-Max Energi for 3 years it felt a bit slower than the Focus Electric even though the Focus Electric's 0-60 times are slower still at 9.9 seconds.

In comparison to all of that the Bolt screams with a 6.7 second 0-60 time.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Hell, I may add the black as a 3M wrap on the lower fascia, just for Ss & Gs. Looks great!
Sponsored