Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
All electric vehicles experience a decrease in range during cold temperatures. To get ready for longer commutes during the winter, preconditioning lets customers pre-heat their EV battery and cabin with electricity from the charger, instead of their vehicle’s battery. This helps Ford EVs work smart, not hard, to preserve range.

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Isn’t that called “Start”?
Nope.

Start heats the cabin
Scheduled departure comfort settings when NOT plugged in heats the cabin
Scheduled departure comfort settings when plugged in heats the cabin and preconditions the battery

There are many threads on this.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Last edited:

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
Isn’t that called “Start”?
Not from what I was told and read. During preconditioning the battery compartment is brought up to the ideal temp. When we press start the cabin is warmed up instead.

Battery preconditioning enables us to get the most energy out of the batteryi could be wrong

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Just out of curiosity, if radiant heat such as (hydronic oil heaters) are good and efficient why is that a smaller version not available near the foot areas. This way we can turn of e-heat.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, if radiant heat such as (hydronic oil heaters) are good and efficient why is that a smaller version not available near the foot areas. This way we can turn of e-heat.
Yes I've done some testing this week and by preconditioning and turning off eheat my MMEs efficiency drops by "only" 10%. You might freeze to death, but at least you'll save some battery lol

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
All electric resistance heaters (including the E-Heat) are essentially 100% efficient - all input power is converted to heat. Hydronic oil-filled heaters simply store and evenly dissipate the heat. They do not improve efficiency.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
For anyone instead in the specifics of why you should do this, I just finished a very detailed comparison of preconditioning vs. not preconditioning in my cold weather testing topic. See #1 and #76: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-lees-mach-e-cold-weather-testing-taking-requests.24393/

In short, preconditioning effectively makes the battery bigger, so you get more miles out of it.
Thanks for doing all this. Is preconditioning as necessary in warm temperatures? I’m going to guess the answer is a resounding “No!”

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Too bad I cant use "Set departure times" in my ford pass because it doesnt work @FordMotorCompany

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Yes I've done some testing this week and by preconditioning and turning off eheat my MMEs efficiency drops by "only" 10%. You might freeze to death, but at least you'll save some battery lol
Agree, in PA this morning temp was 28, I still managed to get over 6.8m/ Kwh without e-heat. When the e-heat is turned on I get close to 3.6m/Kwh. The distance was only about 3.9 miles. The 6.8 is because I do have a 1/4 mile downhill ride

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
Ford, just give us a "precondition now" button in the FordPass app!
I second this as I don’t have a set work schedule so saving pre planned weekly departure times is pretty useless. Plus having to remember to delete them isn’t user friendly nor an efficient use of time. @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored