Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have never taken the time to figure out how to set a departure time, perhaps I should.

I didn't bother this time because I was not sure if the 32A at 208 volt would be better served putting energy into the battery or warming the battery? It worked out to about 5% per hour. If an hour was spent warming the battery that would have made a difference in the percentage reached.

I feel like if I had set a departure time the battery would not have made it to 93% at pickup and would have instead been around 89%.

Wouldn't a departure time on L1 again drain the battery as the heater draws 4000-5000 watts and L1 only delivers 1440 watts?

Would the pack warming be a net positive effect on the battery range despite the reduced starting percentage?
The L2 would have taken about 30 minutes to heat the battery at 20ºF. Heating the battery also increases the capacity so I think the charging difference would have been a wash. The L1 departure time limits the heater to only 1 kW, so the battery would not have drained further. The only thing that drains the battery is the remote start at the end (maybe by 1% to warm up).

In the end you would have started with about 3% less, but preheating the battery and cabin would have given you 10-15% more range, so a net positive.
Sponsored

MinimumGain

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Prem, AWD, EXT (Ordered 11/27/21)
Country flag
I'm guessing that if I have my home L2 / Mach-e set up to only charge in the wee hours of the night that I cannot pre-condition my car in the middle of the day.....I'm working from home and need to head out after lunch in the freezing cold............Do I have to remove the charing window limitation to enable pre-conditioning?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I'm guessing that if I have my home L2 / Mach-e set up to only charge in the wee hours of the night that I cannot pre-condition my car in the middle of the day.....I'm working from home and need to head out after lunch in the freezing cold............Do I have to remove the charing window limitation to enable pre-conditioning?
No, departure times override the preferred charge settings. So it will work long as it can still draw power from the EVSE.

MinimumGain

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, so then as the other poster mentioned, it doesn't work from FordPass? I was sitting at home and set a departure time for the late afternoon while the car was plugged in and I was sitting in the comfort of the home but when it came time leave car was not on, it was cold, and there was no change in range....it appears nothing happend

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ok, so then as the other poster mentioned, it doesn't work from FordPass? I was sitting at home and set a departure time for the late afternoon while the car was plugged in and I was sitting in the comfort of the home but when it came time leave car was not on, it was cold, and there was no change in range....it appears nothing happend
It works fine from FordPass on my car, but I live in an area with good AT&T LTE coverage. Some cars may not receive the departure time command because of a lack of AT&T cell service, an app or server glitch, or an issue with the telematics module. IIRC I think someone said it might be broken on Android until the next FordPass release but works on iPhone. You can always set the departure time in the car via the SYNC screen, that usually works.

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
All electric resistance heaters (including the E-Heat) are essentially 100% efficient - all input power is converted to heat. Hydronic oil-filled heaters simply store and evenly dissipate the heat. They do not improve efficiency.
yes, and they're a poor choice for automotive use due to weight and thermal mass (slower to heat, last longer). Pretty good for a house where weight doesn't (really) matter and you want long-lasting heat.

As has been said many times on this forum, the most efficient heating is heating the body not the air. Therefore, seats, steering wheel, coffee. Not sure why jacks for electric garments aren't popular (like they are for motorcycles). And a heated cupholder to keep my coffee warm. Kinda kidding. Kinda.

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
How would that exactly work since the time required varies, is dependent on the ambient temperature and it does the cabin in the last 15 minutes?
Being in the business of software user interfaces, this is often called an "affordance", where you use the same underlying infrastructure and have "now" actually set a departure time 30 minutes in the future. People think you've done some magic but you've just renamed the button to something more vague. From a technical point of view - since as you say you can't predict the future - it's less good, but most people prefer simple and less optimal, I have learned over time the hard way.

If this was my design, I would put a "leave in 30 minutes" and "leave in 60 minutes" in the app. It would be grey if the car wasn't plugged in. I would pop up a "preconditioning only available for plugged in cars" if the grey button is pressed. Third button would be "set departure time..." which is always available and would have a slider for the time in advance, and maybe a favorites button for (so you can set "7 am tomorrow as a favorite), and a "this only works if your car is plugged in and connected to the network" warning (not as a pop-up).

Every click bothers users.

I would also have a timeout and do a notification if the infra can't contact the car in 30 seconds or so (out of range, whatever), for the "quick buttons", but not for the explicit set time. I would probably do a little more heuristic on the balance between heating the cabin and preconditioning the battery (back calculate the cabin heat to get it to 50, do the rest for the battery pack, if you can't get the battery and cabin to good temps --- alternately there's a buried pref "target temp" --- but I've gotten away from those in my designs). I would also have a "your car will be optimal in XX minutes", and have a window for the current range in the app (which increases as both preconditioning and extra charging happens). I would spend a fair amount of UI/UX space on this choice, maybe a whole separate page, because people in warm climes or who always use short commutes won't care.

Reading, it also seems that the car won't use your home wifi to have the car get the message to start precondition? That would be a poor technical choice.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Being in the business of software user interfaces, this is often called an "affordance", where you use the same underlying infrastructure and have "now" actually set a departure time 30 minutes in the future. People think you've done some magic but you've just renamed the button to something more vague. From a technical point of view - since as you say you can't predict the future - it's less good, but most people prefer simple and less optimal, I have learned over time the hard way.

If this was my design, I would put a "leave in 30 minutes" and "leave in 60 minutes" in the app. It would be grey if the car wasn't plugged in. I would pop up a "preconditioning only available for plugged in cars" if the grey button is pressed. Third button would be "set departure time..." which is always available and would have a slider for the time in advance, and maybe a favorites button for (so you can set "7 am tomorrow as a favorite), and a "this only works if your car is plugged in and connected to the network" warning (not as a pop-up).

Every click bothers users.

I would also have a timeout and do a notification if the infra can't contact the car in 30 seconds or so (out of range, whatever), for the "quick buttons", but not for the explicit set time. I would probably do a little more heuristic on the balance between heating the cabin and preconditioning the battery (back calculate the cabin heat to get it to 50, do the rest for the battery pack, if you can't get the battery and cabin to good temps --- alternately there's a buried pref "target temp" --- but I've gotten away from those in my designs). I would also have a "your car will be optimal in XX minutes", and have a window for the current range in the app (which increases as both preconditioning and extra charging happens). I would spend a fair amount of UI/UX space on this choice, maybe a whole separate page, because people in warm climes or who always use short commutes won't care.

Reading, it also seems that the car won't use your home wifi to have the car get the message to start precondition? That would be a poor technical choice.
Wi-fi is silent.

What they have now works for me. Have no real care what it looks like or if it is two more clicks as long as it works. It is always the most accurate for me so setting a time in the distance future when I have time works. After that I do not care the car decides if 30 or 56 minutes. It is done and simple works.

MinimumGain

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It works fine from FordPass on my car, but I live in an area with good AT&T LTE coverage. Some cars may not receive the departure time command because of a lack of AT&T cell service, an app or server glitch, or an issue with the telematics module. IIRC I think someone said it might be broken on Android until the next FordPass release but works on iPhone. You can always set the departure time in the car via the SYNC screen, that usually works.
Just tried it again and once again it failed to work. 🤷‍♂️ I don’t have any issues starting the car remotely from inside the house or opening the doors, etc. I do have the charging schedule set up on my ChargePoint similar to what is set up on the car. Could Chargepoint be preventing the pre-conditioning ? I’ll play with that next time

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just tried it again and once again it failed to work. 🤷‍♂️ I don’t have any issues starting the car remotely from inside the house or opening the doors, etc. I do have the charging schedule set up on my ChargePoint similar to what is set up on the car. Could Chargepoint be preventing the pre-conditioning ? I’ll play with that next time
I went out to the car this evening and set a departure (double triple checked). Went back out after an hour and it was gone. Set it back up again maybe it will work tomorrow morning 🤷‍♂️

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If the EVSE is shutting off the power then preconditioning won’t work unless you have the “precondition while unplugged” option check box selected. So sounds like your EVSE charging schedule is the cause.

FYI I have my EVSE set to always allow charging and only set charging times in the Mach-E. Setting times on the EVSE isn’t necessary unless you have crazy high on-peak rates you are avoiding.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No smart charger here. Departure schedule just does not work. Not even if set in the vehicle. Set it, it displays it below the charging schedule and in the departure and comfort settings. Shut it off, back on a while later and gone. Not sure why some keep pointing at an EVSE as the problem when one would think first thing that is needed to happen is the car schedule actually works. @MinimumGain best of luck. Have not seen one person here step up and inform us setting a departure schedule works every time.

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Nope.

Start heats the cabin
Scheduled departure comfort settings when NOT plugged in heats the cabin
Scheduled departure comfort settings when plugged in heats the cabin and preconditions the battery

There are many threads on this.
What about hitting Start (or remotely starting) while being plugged in. Doesn't that precondition battery and warm cabin? Like many here, I don't have a set schedule or use the car everyday, thus we need to be prepared to "start" it about 10 to 15 mins prior to leaving (assuming 10 mins or so is sufficient)

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What about hitting Start (or remotely starting) while being plugged in. Doesn't that precondition battery and warm cabin? Like many here, I don't have a set schedule or use the car everyday, thus we need to be prepared to "start" it about 10 to 15 mins prior to leaving (assuming 10 mins or so is sufficient)
No it does not. Remote start just cabin (15 minutes). I have no schedule either and use the schedule for only one departure at a time. When working you can just revised the last one to the new one and firer it off to the car. One departure time on the fly. The car can not be ready for when you leave if you do not tell it when you are leaving.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No it does not. Remote start just cabin (15 minutes). I have no schedule either and use the schedule for only one departure at a time. When working you can just revised the last one to the new one and firer it off to the car. One departure time on the fly. The car can not be ready for when you leave if you do not tell it when you are leaving.
According to Darren Palmer, the battery preconditioning lasts for hours, so you don’t have to get the time exactly right.
Sponsored