TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It was never really a matter of if, but when, for the right time for Ford to start development on batteries too. The success of the Mach-E was the turning point. Prior to that it was still hard to tell whether BEVs were ready for prime time or not (in terms of capability, and in terms of consumer sentiment). In the Ford Focus electric period, they really weren't. But in the Mustang Mach-E period, they now are.
Sponsored

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Can look at that two ways. Better batteries could actually help hybrids. Instead of 30-mile PHEVs, we could see 60-mile PHEVs. Which puts nearly all local miles on battery for most people (with at-home daily recharges). But still includes gas for road trips, without the slow and harder-to-find DCFC problem.

Better batteries make both BEV and hybrid better.

And it may still take a hybrid to get 400 miles out of something the size of an Explorer, Suburban, Expedition, etc. Although I guess it depends just how far in the future we're talking.
I agree that carrying an engine instead of a bigger battery is better for long distance travelers and winter drivers until full electrics con cover those two limits. This is why the Chevy Volt with its full power electric motor and 70 mile range battery was successful, and still is for their present owners.

Last edited:

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I hope the new lab can help to reevaluate the Mach-E battery design, since Munro critizied the present battery design and its variety of HV connectors and cooling hoses

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope the new lab can help to reevaluate the Mach-E battery design, since Munro critizied the present battery design and its variety of HV connectors and cooling hoses
Munro gets way too much coverage and credit, IMO. He's a bit of an old blowhard that's hawking his services to anyone that will hire him. And he does it by frequently nitpicking the tiniest of things.

On the plus side, his teardown videos are neat purely for the value of being able to see inside the guts of the vehicle that we would otherwise likely never see. But the commentary is so nitpicky. And it's geared more toward manufacturing processes (i.e. insider baseball) than the actual goodness of the car for customers.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
As an engineer I kind of enjoy Munro’s videos. I may not agree with everything he has to say and I can do without a lot of the theatrics, but overall I find the videos informative.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
I see no harm in nitpicking at Munro's Video's, given he's nitpicking at my car.
But yeah boys and girls, interesting.

I am sure Ion Park will naturally make the rushed MME battery much better through innovation and design. Except for cost considerations.
Sponsored