NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Just curious if anyone else in same boat or made this decision themselves? I have a Space White Premium ER on order and should get in around July. However, I test drove a Select yesterday on a very short run around a few miles. Used to be a Tesla owner and honestly think it made me realize I want to stay Tesla. I was underwhelmed by the stiffness of the suspension of the MME, which is the main thing I hated about my Model 3. However, it didn't feel any better and there are aftermarket Tesla solutions out there for the Model Y. The interior of the MME is nice, but it's more for transitional buyers. Tesla was/is the Iphone, and MME feels like a really nice Blackberry. I feel like I really want the clean, simplicity of the Tesla and it's interface. However, I also road tripped once with my Model 3 and learned how bad Tesla overstates mileage when on Texas highways at night. You either drive 75-80 with traffic and burn through range or you drive 65 and good chance you'll get rear ended by angry drivers. I gather the MME actually hits its range numbers. Still lots to like about the MME, I just also wish it had a black headliner and some black/wider rims. I also don't want to have to press the start/stop button and then turn a dial vs Tesla's get in and drive.

Anyways, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on either as I'm really torn. I need a new ride though. Any other Tesla owners on the fence?

This will also be a transition car before my cybertruck gets made anyways. Just a car, ain't married to any of them.
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Just curious if anyone else in same boat or made this decision themselves? I have a Space White Premium ER on order and should get in around July. However, I test drove a Select yesterday on a very short run around a few miles. Used to be a Tesla owner and honestly think it made me realize I want to stay Tesla. I was underwhelmed by the stiffness of the suspension of the MME, which is the main thing I hated about my Model 3. However, it didn't feel any better and there are aftermarket Tesla solutions out there for the Model Y. The interior of the MME is nice, but it's more for transitional buyers. Tesla was/is the Iphone, and MME feels like a really nice Blackberry. I feel like I really want the clean, simplicity of the Tesla and it's interface. However, I also road tripped once with my Model 3 and learned how bad Tesla overstates mileage when on Texas highways at night. You either drive 75-80 with traffic and burn through range or you drive 65 and good chance you'll get rear ended by angry drivers. I gather the MME actually hits its range numbers. Still lots to like about the MME, I just also wish it had a black headliner and some black/wider rims. I also don't want to have to press the start/stop button and then turn a dial vs Tesla's get in and drive.

Anyways, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on either as I'm really torn. I need a new ride though. Any other Tesla owners on the fence?

This will also be a transition car before my cybertruck gets made anyways. Just a car, ain't married to any of them.
You drove the base select model, which doesn't have quite as much oomph as the AWD Ext Range version.

Regarding range numbers, this should settle your mind about whether the car hits its target: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-vs-model-y-range-test-alex-on-autos.4488/

Otherwise, if you don't like the car, go ahead and get a Tesla.

I was cross-shopping a model Y and this car, and decided I liked Ford's history and experience in building cars in general, now that they have taken inspiration very clearly from Tesla to even build this car. Also, I think the Mach-E is beautiful, and the Model Y looks like an egg. But to each their own.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I traded my model 3 for a Mach-E and I have zero regrets.

I don't like minimalism or the interior of the model 3. I don't like to compare these cars to phones cause it's very different as well.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag

So if you are really just waiting for cybertruck, why not just wait a year? Personally, I like the look of MME inside and out. I want my car to like lie a car, not professor Peabody science project.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Former Tesla Owner Possibly Abandoning My Reservation 1615957735598

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
In your comparison you forgot to mention that the Mach-E is gorgeous and the MY looks like an egg with a fish face. The best combo of ride and range is the Route 1. Which comes with black wheels… But honestly it sounds like you love Tesla so it’s not clear to me what would compel you to go with the MME?

Bram12

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag

Elon is that you?

I was debating between the Model Y and MME myself and ultimately decided on the MME, even though I’ll have to wait longer for it. Came down to MME being a better looking car and having the display behind the steering wheel.

Anyway thanks Elon for getting BEVs to this point, Ford will take it from here.

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag

I can't imagine buying a car at this price range that I had this many reservations about. I agree with many above, it sounds like you enjoy and should probably stick with Tesla. If you read through the forum, you are going to find a bunch of people weighing this same decision - some are going Tesla and some MME.

Obviously, this being an MME forum, I think for the most part, you are going to find individuals here who tend to gravitate to the MME. I have not owned a Tesla, but I have driven a Model 3 many times, and I have had two relatively long test drives in the MME. For me the MME is winning by a large margin.

Also, with all good natured ribbing intended, if pressing a button and turning a dial to start driving a car, isn't the very definition of First World Problems, I don't know what is. I actually chuckled to myself a bit reading that.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
First Editions have a black headliner.

Have you driven a Model Y recently? You should do that to remind yourself what they are like and test drive the spec MME you really want. Make an informed decision. Driving a select is not the same. I’ve tried every motor/battery combination, they are more different than I thought they would be.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag

I could try to convince you, but who the fuck buys a car for 6 months? I'm obviously not going to be able to talk any sense in to you.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Tesla was/is the Iphone, and MME feels like a really nice Blackberry. I feel like I really want the clean, simplicity of the Tesla and it's interface.
I also don't want to have to press the start/stop button and then turn a dial vs Tesla's get in and drive.
This comment I am about to make I mean with all sincerity and no judgement, although it might not come across that way in an anonymous forum meant for MME enthusiast.

If your yardstick by which you measure cars is Tesla's user experience and the cybertruck (and you actually believe Elon will release what you saw at the reveal on a timeframe he says for the price range he says), for the love of all that is good and holy please go buy a Tesla and never ever ever even consider any other brand of vehicle.

Ford sells cars. Tesla sells dreams. Neither wants to swim in the others pool.

OP
OP

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Y’all are hilarious and I’m first and foremost an EV enthusiast, having also owned 2 Chevy Volts and an Outlander PHEV. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can at least acknowledge the significant pros and minor cons of each car. I’m test driving both today to see if one of them calls to me. I’m just trying to sort through style / tech / comfort / economics and figure out what I want. It’s a tough call, as many of the professional reviewers out there also review these neck and neck, with each having pros/cons.

Don’t need anyone to sell me on Ford v Tesla or anything like that, just curious if anyone else sorted through the decision recently themselves.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Y’all are hilarious and I’m first and foremost an EV enthusiast, having also owned 2 Chevy Volts and an Outlander PHEV. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can at least acknowledge the significant pros and minor cons of each car. I’m test driving both today to see if one of them calls to me. I’m just trying to sort through style / tech / comfort / economics and figure out what I want. It’s a tough call, as many of the professional reviewers out there also review these neck and neck, with each having pros/cons.

Don’t need anyone to sell me on Ford v Tesla or anything like that, just curious if anyone else sorted through the decision recently themselves.
Sorry if my post in particular was interpreted humorously or differently than I intended, but just to be sure wanted to say I meant it with no humor intended and was indeed trying to answer your question in an honest and helpful way. I sincerely believe that, by the information you gave on which you are basing your purchasing decisions, namely things like buttons, styling, and Cybertrucks, that you should go and buy another Tesla and that you will never be satisfied with a Ford or likely any other brand. Only Tesla will provide you with the unique user experience that provides Tesla minimalistic styling and Tesla services. Your post about the differences appears to have been mainly focused on user experience, so thus my response.

Since you have further revealed that you have owned other vehicles, is there anything else you are looking for in a vehicle besides the user experience and "minimalist" styling that might enable folks to provide other information?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I could try to convince you, but who the fuck buys a car for 6 months? I'm obviously not going to be able to talk any sense in to you.
Maybe he knows it will be 24 months be he gets his.

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag
I sincerely believe that, by the information you gave on which you are basing your purchasing decisions, namely things like buttons, styling, and Cybertrucks, that you should go and buy another Tesla and that you will never be satisfied with a Ford or likely any other brand. Only Tesla will provide you with the unique user experience that provides Tesla minimalistic styling and Tesla services. Your post about the differences appears to have been mainly focused on user experience, so thus my response.
Yep, this. That was the exact same impression that I got when posting my response.

Maybe we interpreted your original post incorrectly, but even after having reread it, if I had the reservations that you are communicating, I cannot imagine making the decision to buy an MME.

Since you are asking if anyone else has sorted through - yes. Like I said before, I haven't owned a Tesla, but I have a very good friend and coworker who owns one and have had the opportunity to drive many times. I have now had two test drives in the MME, which I feel has given me more than enough of an opinion on the MME. For me (emphasis on the "For me" there), there is just no competition. I like the styling; I like the extra screen in front of the driver; I like the comfort; I like the fit and finish, and I like (among still some other things) the idea that I have several service centers very close to me.

Those are the things that have weighted me toward the MME. At least from your previous post, those don't seem to be as important to you, as to me. Which is 100% understandable. What I'm looking for certainly isn't going to match what the next person is.

So, yes, I have done the comparison/analysis, and for me, I am all in on the MME.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

You'll be OK with either car. It comes down to personal preference. Search the forums; we did have a few who ended up going with a Tesla Model Y over the MME, and vice versa.
Sponsored