AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
I test drove the MY. Tesla kept contacting me with all sorts of offers. I told the staff I wanted to check out the mach-e. Never heard from them again. Still very happy driving my Mustang.
Sponsored

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
Y’all are hilarious and I’m first and foremost an EV enthusiast, having also owned 2 Chevy Volts and an Outlander PHEV. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can at least acknowledge the significant pros and minor cons of each car. I’m test driving both today to see if one of them calls to me. I’m just trying to sort through style / tech / comfort / economics and figure out what I want. It’s a tough call, as many of the professional reviewers out there also review these neck and neck, with each having pros/cons.

Don’t need anyone to sell me on Ford v Tesla or anything like that, just curious if anyone else sorted through the decision recently themselves.
If you are looking for a better ride with minimalistic interior, I recommend you test drive a Polestar 2. I very much enjoyed the ride and it was very easy to drive and very comfortable IMHO. In some markets, like where I live in Denver, they will bring the test drive to your home. I was given a half hour by myself to drive around, which was very appreciated.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
In the end it always comes down to personal preference like others have said.

I considered the Model Y and almost ordered one earlier this year. I decided to wait for the MME and see how the reviews were. I was glad I waited. Having driven both I think the MME is a much better car for me personally for many reasons. Not to mention I personally thing the interior and exterior look so much better than the Model Y.

Also the start button thing. Come on man it isn't hard to press a button one time lol. To turn the car off (if you have 1pd drive enabled) you can just unbuckle your seatbelt, open the door, and hit the power button. It puts the car into park and applies the parking brake automatically for you.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Just curious if anyone else in same boat or made this decision themselves? I have a Space White Premium ER on order and should get in around July. However, I test drove a Select yesterday on a very short run around a few miles. Used to be a Tesla owner and honestly think it made me realize I want to stay Tesla. I was underwhelmed by the stiffness of the suspension of the MME, which is the main thing I hated about my Model 3. However, it didn't feel any better and there are aftermarket Tesla solutions out there for the Model Y. The interior of the MME is nice, but it's more for transitional buyers. Tesla was/is the Iphone, and MME feels like a really nice Blackberry. I feel like I really want the clean, simplicity of the Tesla and it's interface. However, I also road tripped once with my Model 3 and learned how bad Tesla overstates mileage when on Texas highways at night. You either drive 75-80 with traffic and burn through range or you drive 65 and good chance you'll get rear ended by angry drivers. I gather the MME actually hits its range numbers. Still lots to like about the MME, I just also wish it had a black headliner and some black/wider rims. I also don't want to have to press the start/stop button and then turn a dial vs Tesla's get in and drive.

Anyways, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on either as I'm really torn. I need a new ride though. Any other Tesla owners on the fence?

This will also be a transition car before my cybertruck gets made anyways. Just a car, ain't married to any of them.
I would get what you know and are used to. Why go through the hassle and learning curve of something “new” that you’re not going to be sticking with? To use your analogy - you’ve been using macOS all along and are just waiting for the new 16” MacBook Pro with the new M series chip. Why in gods name would you go buy a decent, but nothing special, Dell, and go through the hassle of living with Windows 10 for a while? Cancel the Mustang Mach E and get a Model 3. I see a boat load of them (I think they’re model 3s. I have a hard time telling the differences between Tesla models) at the Tesla center.

ndit

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I've had a 2018 Model 3 for 3 years. I have several colleagues who have had Model 3s without any major issue. Mine has been nothing but a nightmare and I have had nothing but difficulties with getting assistance from Tesla. I understand that their quality may have improved over time, but I've been looking to get rid of my Model 3 since about 6 months after I got it. I never could identify a suitable vehicle until the Mach E came along. I'm still waiting for my delivery which'll hopefully be in the next two weeks.

Truthfully, I can't ever see myself buying another Tesla after the issues I've had with the vehicle itself, their service related issues, and the extremely poor customer service I've received.

I wish you the best on your decision, I just hope you never really need them to service something quickly. When the control arm for my Model 3 went out at 2 years (known issue in earlier builds), it took 2 weeks before they'd get my car in to fix it (and they refused to preemptively replace the other side at the same time and told me to come back if it had an issue).

Also, another consideration is that there are limited places that can work on body work, paint, etc. They have to be Tesla Certified or this could create a legal issue. This creates a supply and demand issue that allows these limited places to set their own prices (because they know you can't go anywhere else).

The car itself has been great between the issues I've had. I can't imagine ever going back to an ICE vehicle. I'm just happy everyone else is bringing competitors to the table because it'll force them all to keep getting better and better to compete.

rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
I think everyone has to make the best decision for their situation. I am a huge tesla fan and have driven every model. The user interface, app, and ease of use of Tesla is very appealing. The charger network is also nice. I purchased an awd er premium ib mach e. I have driven it over 2 weeks. My impression is that is more quiet and overall a better ride. Fit and finish in the build is better. The software and app need improvements, but can be solved over time. The sheer acceleration of Tesla is much greater but the Mach e is enough for my needs. I suppose I could have waited for several more months to get the GT if that was an issue. One of my neighbors recently got rid of his tesla for a range rover. He said it took too long for service for correcting defects from accidents. The first time as long as 7 months. A legacy auto maker such as Ford would never be able to get away with that kind of service. BTW I am all Apple.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I evaluated both the MME and MYLR with no dog in the fight and no prior EV experience, and I found the MME to be superior in most regards.

BUT, if you’re more comfortable with the Tesla ecosystem because of your familiarity with the same, then you should buy a Tesla! I’m the same way with iPhones - many Android phones far out-spec the iPhones but I choose to stay with what I know because it’s comfortable and good enough (ironically, the MME is the Android in this metaphor but it seems to play nicer with iPhones in reality).

I think your Cybertruck is Superyuck, but to each his own! :)

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
One of my neighbors recently got rid of his tesla for a range rover. He said it took too long for service for correcting defects from accidents. The first time as long as 7 months.
WOW, that's really making a statement. JLR (Jaguar / Land Rover) is kind of mainly known for their abhorrent poor quality these days. In fact, it's almost like if your main requirement for a car is that is NOT work, buy a JLR.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-vehicle-dependability-study

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
I think the purpose of Mach E Forum is for owners and prospective MACH E to share their thoughts and concerns, Personally, I'm am not a fan of Tesla vehicles. Their technology and Charging network is Tesla's greatest asset.

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
Anyways, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on either as I'm really torn. I need a new ride though.
Me too. I‘m really hoping there’s more info on the GTP before the order banks open next month. An M3 massaged by Unplugged Performance is very tempting.

The new Golf R even more so.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I would get what you know and are used to. Why go through the hassle and learning curve of something “new” that you’re not going to be sticking with? To use your analogy - you’ve been using macOS all along and are just waiting for the new 16” MacBook Pro with the new M series chip. Why in gods name would you go buy a decent, but nothing special, Dell, and go through the hassle of living with Windows 10 for a while? Cancel the Mustang Mach E and get a Model 3. I see a boat load of them (I think they’re model 3s. I have a hard time telling the differences between Tesla models) at the Tesla center.
C’mon, this ain’t a Dell! More like... Surface Laptop by your analogy. ? Seriously though, the Select has the same guts as a similar drivetrain Premium, just less flourish, driving dynamics wise it should be very similar, if not the same.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I evaluated both the MME and MYLR with no dog in the fight and no prior EV experience, and I found the MME to be superior in most regards.

BUT, if you’re more comfortable with the Tesla ecosystem because of your familiarity with the same, then you should buy a Tesla! I’m the same way with iPhones - many Android phones far out-spec the iPhones but I choose to stay with what I know because it’s comfortable and good enough (ironically, the MME is the Android in this metaphor but it seems to play nicer with iPhones in reality).

I think your Cybertruck is Superyuck, but to each his own! :)
This. I came to the same conclusion as well. Mach E better in areas that matter for actua driving, with the downsides being charging network and software. It really comes down to what you prioritize in a vehicle. Mechanical and ride quality, go Mach E. Tech experience, go Tesla. Ford’s software has been awful, likely on par with Tesla’s build quality.

OP
OP

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Test drove a Y today and felt like I was a fish inside of a blender. Honestly the ride quality was atrocious, worse than my 3. Really only want to drive electric, so guess I will follow through with my MME. Maybe what I really need is a big fat pay raise to get a Model X or Rivian with air suspension. MME will be cool for a while though.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
You drove the base select model, which doesn't have quite as much oomph as the AWD Ext Range version.

Regarding range numbers, this should settle your mind about whether the car hits its target: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-vs-model-y-range-test-alex-on-autos.4488/

Otherwise, if you don't like the car, go ahead and get a Tesla.

I was cross-shopping a model Y and this car, and decided I liked Ford's history and experience in building cars in general, now that they have taken inspiration very clearly from Tesla to even build this car. Also, I think the Mach-E is beautiful, and the Model Y looks like an egg. But to each their own.
Both great cars. Go with what you like best. That said, I like the sorta trucky ride of my MME.
Sponsored