Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wonder how many years away we are from this being as easy as sticking a nozzle into the tank.
Some pumps are fast, some are slow. It just doesn’t matter as much on a 5 minute fill.
Sponsored

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
We hit around ten EA stations in our 1,200 trip last weekend. Many issues -the 34kw charging we experienced on our first stop was on TWO different 350s. No problem on 150. On our last stop, we had slow charging at two different 350s again, and no problem at 150.

Since the Mach-E can't go higher than 150 (we've never seen more than 126kw), I confirmed with EA that a 350 is zero difference from a 150 for us at this time (always possible our capability gets upgraded by Ford at some point). Therefore, we plan to hit 150s exclusively going forward, if nothing else it may save time on failed attempts, especially now that we're paying for charging having used all the free hours. Some states charge based on KW used, some on minutes. A slow charger in a state that charges by minutes wouldn't be ideal. EA's site shows you which states have that method of fee.
If it gets upgraded, you will need a new Mustang. The 150kW is a the max this car can do because Ford only installed a 150kW charger in it.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
So went ahead and got some free charge today at the EA station located near I-4 and Hwy 27. Charged from 63 up to 85%. At the end of the day we had a net gain of 5% SOC after 50 miles of driving! There was a VW ID4 charging there when we pulled in but no one else after he left. All in all it was a good day and we got our Arby’s fix while waiting. :)

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
After a meetup with @BK2EV for beers and barbecue, I went for my free 40%-80%
Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging at Electrify America all Labor Day weekend IMG_7265

I did turn off the P&C before hand just in case.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have been giving them negative reviews on PlugShare, but EA probably doesn't care.
Actually the president of EA personally monitors PlugShare

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If it gets upgraded, you will need a new Mustang. The 150kW is a the max this car can do because Ford only installed a 150kW charger in it.
Not true. DFDC charger is not in the car. Ford has set the limit to just above 150, I have seen 160. There is an absolute current limit that is not published, but Ford could change the charging curve with software.

The highest possible rate with a 400V battery on CCS is 200kw.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Not true. DFDC charger is not in the car. Ford has set the limit to just above 150, I have seen 160. There is an absolute current limit that is not published, but Ford could change the charging curve with software.

My understanding also.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Contingent upon the gauge of wire and other elements. It is probably true that they could go higher, but it is more likely they can modify the curve to keep it from dropping off as quickly or severely

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

my understanding when I researched this was that the actual charging component is in your car. So, I went back and looked into this again. It would seem I misunderstood the ac-to-dc is actually a charger inside the car, but only when you charging from an AC source is it used. A DC charger is different, so I stand corrected. Thanks.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
my understanding when I researched this was that the actual charging component is in your car. So, I went back and looked into this again. It would seem I misunderstood the ac-to-dc is actually a charger inside the car, but only when you charging from an AC source is it used. A DC charger is different, so I stand corrected. Thanks.
Yes. In addition, when DC Fast Charging...the vehicle requests a particular charge rate and the EVSE attempts to satisfy.

I hadn't really noticed before but apparently EA displays the info on the screen. My car started off requesting 123 kW and the EVSE provided it.

About 13 min later the car was asking for 104 kW and again the machine was able to deliver.

At min 23 the car requested 88 kW and was getting 90 kW.

3 DCFC stations and 1 L2. All were in use.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging at Electrify America all Labor Day weekend 20210905_100607

Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging at Electrify America all Labor Day weekend 20210905_100355

Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging at Electrify America all Labor Day weekend 20210905_101610

Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging at Electrify America all Labor Day weekend 20210905_102545

Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging at Electrify America all Labor Day weekend 20210905_102410

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Yesterday I turned off Plug and Charge prior to getting my free charge at EA which worked without a hitch. Since then, I have not been able to get P & C to turn back on. It just shows a blank screen when I slide the switch to on. Has anyone else run into this? I hate to mess with Fordpass since it has been working pretty well for several weeks now!!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually the president of EA personally monitors PlugShare
Interesting.

I have left bad reviews of specific stations on PlugShare, and even went back and reported them on EA's app, in addition to contacting EA via Twitter DM and reporting the stations.

One station - Huber Heights, Ohio, has bad report after bad report for at least a week now with no resolution. Probably will have to avoid that on the way home...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am waiting to see if all the EA issues are due to their units having issues, or communication problems with the Mach-E, or both. I assume they analyze the units having issues to see whether a different make/model is able to charge faster than the reported problem speed,and if they notice a trend with Ford vehicles they communicate with Ford.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Interesting.

I have left bad reviews of specific stations on PlugShare, and even went back and reported them on EA's app, in addition to contacting EA via Twitter DM and reporting the stations.

One station - Huber Heights, Ohio, has bad report after bad report for at least a week now with no resolution. Probably will have to avoid that on the way home...
Sounds like the one in Gainesville, FL.

Maybe EA is still more focused on new installations than maintaining the older ones. Maybe it’s just COVID.
Sponsored