Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
We're talking DCFC stations. You can't use them with a J1772 adapter just like you can't use a TeslaTap on a SuperCharger. The J-1772 adapters are L1/L2 only.

There IS an option but clueless Tesla drivers won't have paid for one of these $600-$1,000 goodies:
https://insideevs.com/news/463721/tesla-ccs-fast-charge-adapter-setec/
I wonder if the Tesla owner I saw charging on the 150kW charger had one of these or a $400 CHAdeMO adapter. I did not notice what plug he was using. I thought he was just using the J1772 adapter. I was thinking of getting the Tesla to J1772 adapter, but do not see any destination chargers I need to use yet.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wonder if the Tesla owner I saw charging on the 150kW charger had one of these or a $400 CHAdeMO adapter. I did not notice what plug he was using. I thought he was just using the J1772 adapter. I was thinking of getting the Tesla to J1772 adapter, but do not see any destination chargers I need to use yet.
The standard configuration at each EA station is to have one charger that is 150kW CCS and 50kW CHAdeMO. They were probably using the CHAdeMO adapter on that one charger.

I've used the TeslaTap a few times now. It's really handy in a pinch or to provide more options.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
Nothing like a free charge and an Arby's beef and cheddar. What's weird is the disparity between car and EA percentage of battery at start, but at the end, we are in sync at 80%. Stats below of experience. Only one issue, a warning about charging fault. Did I do something wrong?

Charge Stats at EA - 350 - Earth Day
StateWhat EA saysRateComment
Car status43% - 128 range
Begin charge27%156kWOMG
Charging28%157kWPanic
4 minutes in36%108kWblood pressure in check
26 minutes in75%82kWamazed
32 minutes in80%14kWslow, gotta go
Stopped chargerpressed unlock, indicator all red
UnpluggedThanks EA
Started carwarning - Charging faut error
Turned off carRestarted, no warning

Ford Mustang Mach-E Free Charging on Earth Day (4/22) at Electrify America charging stations PXL_20210422_233440675

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Nothing like a free charge and an Arby's beef and cheddar. What's weird is the disparity between car and EA percentage of battery at start, but at the end, we are in sync at 80%. Stats below of experience. Only one issue, a warning about charging fault. Did I do something wrong?

Charge Stats at EA - 350 - Earth Day
StateWhat EA saysRateComment
Car status43% - 128 range
Begin charge27%156kWOMG
Charging28%157kWPanic
4 minutes in36%108kWblood pressure in check
26 minutes in75%82kWamazed
32 minutes in80%14kWslow, gotta go
Stopped chargerpressed unlock, indicator all red
UnpluggedThanks EA
Started carwarning - Charging faut error
Turned off carRestarted, no warning

PXL_20210422_233440675.jpg
You can also just press the OK button on the steering wheel to clear the Charge Fault Error message.

Last edited:

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
The standard configuration at each EA station is to have one charger that is 150kW CCS and 50kW CHAdeMO. They were probably using the CHAdeMO adapter on that one charger.

I've used the TeslaTap a few times now. It's really handy in a pinch or to provide more options.
Thanks for the info. I considered buying a TeslaTap for that just in case. At least it is less expensive than adapting in the other direction.

I used plugshare to see the supercharger locations around in my area and there is a useful network. There are more CCS stations and I noticed more at service plazas on highways. It is more convenient for me to go to Saugus than the Supercharger in East Boston. It seems like the CHAdeMO adapter is more of a must have road trip accessory for Tesla owners.

I got an message in Fordpass today about cold weather reducing range and charging rates. They mentioned 40 degrees and I have seen comments on the Forum about cold weather. It was 41 degrees last night when I charged. I can see why the car started at 58kW and increased as the battery warmed up. I am happy with range and charging so far, so it must be amazing when it does warm up. It eases my concern about winter driving and I will likely have things setup to mitigate cold weather effects by next winter.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

OldBlueMME

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Ext, 2023 Yamaha MTO9
Country flag
You can also just press the OK button on the dash to clear the Charge Fault Error message.
It has been my experience that if u stop the charger and then unplug U will get the error message when u start the car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
EA is weird around here. I got the free charge on the 21st, and have seen it happen on occasion other days. Do like the offer though. Worked with their level 2 charger also.

vjwilson

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vanwilson.info
Vehicles
BMW i3, BMW x1
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just catching up on my reading.

I happened to be 15 minutes from the only EA location in town on Thursday morning, so I took my wife's BMW i3 for a charge. (The rough estimate for my Mach E order is "sometime in July"--no build date yet ? )

I started the charge with the EA app on my phone. It didn't say anything about a free charge, until the end when it gave me a 100% discount on a $11.60 bill.
Sponsored