Free Charging Sucks! Article: Here's Why Free Electric Car Charging Should be Banned

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It's not free charging that's the problem. It's an education one. Why not have a 'universal' charging etiquette guide put together for education purposes and those who are plagued with the issue can hand them out at chargers. Especially those who just have to take a 350kW unit in a vehicle that can't get but 50kW at best.
Free charging is the problem. In a free market, unlimited supply (i.e. free) creates unlimited demand. There MUST be a cost associated with what people consume or there will always be shortages. Always.

It was not a huge problem a couple years ago, when it was mainly Teslas hogging the chargers. But now it is rampant, with freeloaders looking to get as much as possible for free without any consideration to anyone else who might actually need a charge.

I agree with you that some people just don't understand proper charger etiquette yet, but most of the charger hogs do and they really don't care. I know. I see them hogging the chargers in my office building every day I am there. I put notes on their windshields to help them understand they are hogging the charger, but they keep doing it.

It is like locusts stripping a field of all the "free" crops. Once the freeloaders get their "free" fix, they move on to destroy more crops.

By the way, while I am being very critical of the people who are hogging chargers, it is expected behavior. As long as it is free, there will be fights over who gets to use the chargers. The only real fix is to limit the free time per charge or eliminate free chargers all together.

If you really expect the charger hogs out the to all of a sudden become considerate, I think it is wishful thinking.
Sponsored

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
IMHO: author does not want to look at real issue - we need more stations; we need stations that can accommodate 2 cars simultaneously.
I think next article should be “let’s ban EVs since current charging infrastructure ruins EV experience “

Jax_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT (Build in progress)
Country flag
This is very wrong. The charger is for people who are visiting the zoo and it is not your personal charger. And this is why "free" charging sucks.
Agreed, we’ve never used it for more than two hours and we’ve always been at the zoo while using it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed, we’ve never used it for more than two hours and we’ve always been at the zoo while using it. I agree.
Ok, but your previous post suggested you drop the car off there to get a free charge. I edited my previous post to point out that if you are doing that, it is theft. It is good you are not, but many people do it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IMHO: author does not want to look at real issue - we need more stations; we need stations that can accommodate 2 cars simultaneously.
I think next article should be “let’s ban EVs since current charging infrastructure ruins EV experience “
No, this will not work. There will never be enough chargers to satisfy unlimited demand.

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, this will not work. There will never be enough chargers to satisfy unlimited demand.
I think you are overrating free DC charging.

1. I charge DC often and as soon as I bought alternative to EA network membership I started to feel much better and have much less charging fears.
2. I had unlimited charging for 2 months - it was one of the secondary reasons why I enjoyed selling my Ionia 5 and getting back to MME :) . - I got back plenty of my time.
3. Majority people who use excessively DC free charging usually are GIG economy drivers. They drive a lot and they need to charge more than regular consumer. Even if we carmakers would drop free charging these drivers would still occupy stalls.

worachj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select AWD Rapid Red Metallic (03/10/23)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Charger hogs: Start charging people by the minute after a 10-minute grace period when a car reaches full charge or maybe 90% charge. Tow any car parked at the charger that’s not connected to the charger.

Jax_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT (Build in progress)
Country flag
Ok, but your previous post suggested you drop the car off there to get a free charge. I edited my previous post to point out that if you are doing that, it is theft. It is good you are not, but many people do it.
Yeah I was just saying my non EV driving mom thought it was a clever idea so you can see why many people think they’re gaming the system and thinthey’re so smart when they do it.

it’s a problem that won’t ever go away, realistically.

edit: typos

Last edited:

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Charger hogs: Start charging people by the minute after a 10-minute grace period when a car reaches full charge or maybe 90% charge. Tow any car parked at the charger that’s not connected to the charger.
100% with you

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Free charging is the problem. In a free market, unlimited supply (i.e. free) creates unlimited demand. There MUST be a cost associated with what people consume or there will always be shortages. Always.

It was not a huge problem a couple years ago, when it was mainly Teslas hogging the chargers. But now it is rampant, with freeloaders looking to get as much as possible for free without any consideration to anyone else who might actually need a charge.

I agree with you that some people just don't understand proper charger etiquette yet, but most of the charger hogs do and they really don't care. I know. I see them hogging the chargers in my office building every day I am there. I put notes on their windshields to help them understand they are hogging the charger, but they keep doing it.

It is like locusts stripping a field of all the "free" crops. Once the freeloaders get their "free" fix, they move on to destroy more crops.

By the way, while I am being very critical of the people who are hogging chargers, it is expected behavior. As long as it is free, there will be fights over who gets to use the chargers. The only real fix is to limit the free time per charge or eliminate free chargers all together.

If you really expect the charger hogs out the to all of a sudden become considerate, I think it is wishful thinking.
Your economic analysis is correct. This is a “tragedy of the commons” situation. But I’m not sure it is accurate to call them freeloaders. Many people correctly believe they’re just getting what they paid for. If the expensive car they bought includes a year or two of L3 charging, use it! They are making an economically rational decision (well, without getting into what their time is worth sitting at a charger instead of plugging in at home). The problem is the manufacturers bundling the free charging.

If you were referring to the folks who clog the free L2 chargers, then freeloader is a more accurate term. I engaged in this practice for a while when there was a bank of free L2 a couple blocks from my office, but I was careful to only do it once per week and to wait until I was sufficiently low that I could justify hogging a space all day. The thing that really pissed me off were the bolts, leafs, and plug-in hybrids occupying spots all day with their much smaller batteries.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
THIS is the issue - Charge infrastructure is expensive to install and maintain and there is not enough to meet demand.

Putting a price on charging is the best way to allocate this scarce resource. Unlimited charging is a disaster.

OP
OP
Kamuelaflyer

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It’s both. Unlimited free charging for X period of time encourages people to do exactly that. Plus we need more chargers even without the unlimited free charging deals. Until charging stations are as common as gas stations, I personally think the unlimited charging is irresponsible. Do as Ford does, give them some amount to encourage BEV use beyond the local environment and do as GM does —help offset the L2 install costs.

Last edited:

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
3. Majority people who use excessively DC free charging usually are GIG economy drivers. They drive a lot and they need to charge more than regular consumer. Even if we carmakers would drop free charging these drivers would still occupy stalls.
We're not saying DCFC shouldn't be used by local drivers. We're saying that unnecessarily using them is the problem. For gig workers, time is money. If you're not out driving/delivering, you're wasting time and money. Pretty sure they won't want to stay forever to charge the last 10% of the battery.

Also, it's all well and good to say we need more chargers - no one disagrees. The problem is it takes a lot of time to stand up new sites (as to why that is is another question) - so the problem is going to stay with us for a while longer. What we can do now is make the process less shitty by being thoughtful.

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s both. Unlimited free charging for X period of time encourages people to do exactly that. Plus we need more chargers even without the unlimited free charging deals. Until charging stations are as common as gas stations, I personally think the unlimited charging is irresponsible. Do as Ford does, give them some amount to encourage BEV use beyond the local environment and do as GM dies. Help offset the L2 install costs.
what I experienced when I was with unlimited charging: as soon as I was 100% or time up EA started charging me.

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We're not saying DCFC shouldn't be used by local drivers. We're saying that unnecessarily using them is the problem. For gig workers, time is money. If you're not out driving/delivering, you're wasting time and money. Pretty sure they won't want to stay forever to charge the last 10% of the battery.

Also, it's all well and good to say we need more chargers - no one disagrees. The problem is it takes a lot of time to stand up new sites (as to why that is is another question) - so the problem is going to stay with us for a while longer. What we can do now is make the process less shitty by being thoughtful.
what is unnecessary charging? above 80 or 90%? we can't limit it, sometimes you have to charge to 100% otherwise you risk to do not make to next charging station
Sponsored